Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nobel Peace Prize winner is....

The EU.

Yes really.

"Thorbjørn Jagland, head of the Oslo-based Nobel Committee, justified the award by stressing the EU’s role in bringing France and Germany closer together, and by helping strengthen democracy in southern as well as central and eastern Europe"

Discuss...

Comments

• Options
    laughable ... devalues the award
  • Options
    The same EU that is "fiddling away while Rome burns", to use an apt euphemism. Riots on the streets of capital cities. A generation of young people unemployed. Election results ignored. Neo-Nazis and communists surging in popularity... and a zero growth forecast for the economy. Is this what they call pathos?
  • Options
    It's like when Obama got it. If there's no-one that properly deserves it, don't award it
  • Options
    That's ridiculous. As McBobbin says don't give it out if you have to resort to gimmicks like this - it just devalues the award.
    Although it became meaningless after it was given to Kissinger imho.
  • Options
    Though when Kissinger got it, it gave rise the the great quote "Satire is officially dead"
  • Options
    I think the Daily Mail might explode after this
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I think the Daily Mail might explode after this

So it might be a good thing then.

• Options
    I'm waiting for Len's contribution, should be a cracker.
  • Options

I'm waiting for Len's contribution, should be a cracker.

Ha, ha - me too!

• Options
    What a joke! So the riots in Italy,Greece, Spain etc have been ignored then????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a difference between the Euro (a policy that has caused all this unrest across Europe) and the EU.

As I have seen written on another blog:

"I'm 27 years old, and I'm in only the second generation of Europeans not to be conscripted and sent to fight and die and kill other Europeans. This is not only because of the EU, but it has played a large role.

That deserves a prize, I'd say."
  • Options
    Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Errbody makes some good points, but it still seems a tad weird to me. Not as totally ridiculous as when Obama won it having achieved absolutely nothing though. I agree with others, in no-one is worthy, don't award it.
  • Options
    errbody said:

There is a difference between the Euro (a policy that has caused all this unrest across Europe) and the EU.

"I'm 27 years old, and I'm in only the second generation of Europeans not to be conscripted and sent to fight and die and kill other Europeans. This is not only because of the EU, but it has played a large role.

Oh come on, you seriously suggesting the EU had nothing to do with the Euro and it's the other Countries that are taking down the Euro?

The fact is, the EU should never have let Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy joined the Euro in the first place but they want to this political dream of turning Europe into United States of Europe. Each Country has different economics but if the EU wanted the Euro to start and work properly, they should have involved the richer countries, not the southern Countries whose Economic's are weaker.
  • Options
    Well if Tony Bliar can get an award for his 'peace work' then anything goes.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    One word - Laughable.

I don't give too much toss about the Nobel Peace Prize anymore unfortunately; the lesser publicised scientific prizes are where I think there's some real credit due.

It's about time they remembered what they did in 1948 and just not give it out when there isn't actually a suitable candidate.

I would go as far as to say it actually undermines Henry Dunant and the other early laureates in my mind. I wonder what Alfred Noble would actually think.
    errbody said:

Unless you're dyslexic and get EU and UN confused then no.

The UN (replacing the failed model of the League of Nations) is going to be largely to thank for that, combined with far too many factors to even begin to count.

Arguments like that are a kin to me knocking seven shades of crap out of my friend, him going to hospital where a doctor says "You're both bloody idiots" and me praising the doctor for ending any future problems. It's correlation not causation; we have no idea what would've happened differently, if anything, without the formation of the EU.
  • Options
    Almost certainly the EU is the current evolution of a body who has done more than anyone else to stop the sons of the most succesful modern continent slaughtering each other. I guess that isn't worth opening your minds to see the truth ?
  • Options
    You couldn't make it up ! Makes a complete mockery of the award.
  • Options
    I'm afraid the award is insensitive at this time, and I wish they hadn't done it. However I fully agree with the reasons given for the award, and at least there is the benefit of getting some of those reasons on the table.

If you want to test what they say, take a holiday in Alsace. Visit the graves there of British soldiers from two world wars . Then stand near the Rhine bridge at Strasbourg, and watch how the Germans pile across to France for lunch, while the French pile across in the other direction for their jobs. It is not just the fact of what they do. It is the supreme ordinariness of it all that will finally make it dawn on you the enormity of the achievement. France and Germany will never again be at war. Similarly spend some time in the Netherlands, e.g in Arnhem, with business people who happily work with their German colleagues and put aside the animosity which is if anything greaterin the people than with the French. Ironically they do this in the English language, and I have had some Dutch business managers tell me that they think English should be the official language of the Netherlands.

I can't expect many of you to have first hand experience of the effect of EU accession on the former Communist countries, but it is enormous. When I first arrived in the Czech Republic in 1993, it wasn't a fully formed democracy, and most public institutions didnt work like in a normal country. There was no guarantee it would make it to 'normal' Europe. The goal of EU accession allowed good people in these countries to wage a war against authoritarianism, cronyism, corruption and denial of human rights, all in the name of "Europe". It wasn't just a vague concept. The EU has norms and principles, which the new countries have to conform to. It's true that too many countries have been allowed not to conform to them sufficiently, but that is not the fault of the EU but of individual national politicians who compromised on the principles.

You may find this hard to comprehend but the average educated Bulgarian says "Laws made in Brussels? Bring them on. And while we are at it, can you bring us British judges and police to enforce them?". The same process is happening in Croatia, where there are still some very ugly and sinister people and attitudes, but again the good people of that country have defeated them, with the goal of EU entry and support from the EU for doing it.

I hope some of you who posted some of the comments above (e.g 'it's all down to the UN') will think carefully about what I've written, and I'm happy to debate it further. Looking forward to Len :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prague, what we have seen the last few years in certain European countries is riot after riot and this is affected by the European financial market because the Euro currency is used in most of Europe with different economics and it was not going to work from when it started. When Merkel arrived in Greece she had a very hefty reception with violent demostrations and some greeks made impressions of her in Nazi uniforms. Awarding the Nobel peace prize to the EU is a joke and this situation is going to get worse unless logical changes occur.

As far as European countries interacting with one another. I believe most of the anti-EU campaigners agree with you and believe European countries trading with one another is a good thing. It's all down to this political union who everybody is against and does not believe un-elected EU politicans bossing European countries what they should be doing and when to not have a general election. That is democracy taken away.

To suggest that the EU has prevented wars at present and in the future is laughable, take a look at Yugoslavia for example, a Country that was formed in 1918 with the likes of Croatia and Moldolva being part of this union and it ended going back to where it was with a civil war which broke up this Union. The EU wants to do the same like Yugoslavia did in 1918 and create a United States of Europe, believe me there are facts on this.

As for EU human rights, are you seriously suggesting that the likes of Bulgaria and Croatia don't have one single politican who can sort these issues out without any EU involment at all? I will be extremely amazed if that is the case, especially if the average Bulgarian welcomes the EU human rights act.

I don't really know much about the political side in Czech Republic but what exactly made Solvakia and Czech Republic become two seperate countries?

• Options
    Load of shit - don't go Greece or Spain anymore, not cheap 'cos of euro - that is why they are skint.

Switzerland - so wealthy for a bunch of cuckoo clock makers - makes me sick. Bed time
  • Options
    What a joke...
  • Options
    Great post from Prague.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Good morning from Europe, Disco

Land of cheap beer, beautiful women, and better managed football (at least in Germany). You really should try it :-)

My comments below yours
    DiscoCAFC said:

Prague, what we have seen the last few years in certain European countries is riot after riot and this is affected by the European financial market because the Euro currency is used in most of Europe with different economics and it was not going to work from when it started. When Merkel arrived in Greece she had a very hefty reception with violent demostrations and some greeks made impressions of her in Nazi uniforms. Awarding the Nobel peace prize to the EU is a joke and this situation is going to get worse unless logical changes occur.

All my (long) life there have been riots in Europe about something or other. I agree that Greece should never have been admitted into the Euro in the first place

As far as European countries interacting with one another. I believe most of the anti-EU campaigners agree with you and believe European countries trading with one another is a good thing. It's all down to this political union who everybody is against and does not believe un-elected EU politicans bossing European countries what they should be doing and when to not have a general election. That is democracy taken away.

If you actually travel in Europe you will find that people have far less problems with greater political integration than you have. And "EU politicians" are elected. I remember casting my vote, and I expect you did, for Farage's comedians, right?

To suggest that the EU has prevented wars at present and in the future is laughable, take a look at Yugoslavia for example, a Country that was formed in 1918 with the likes of Croatia and Moldolva being part of this union and it ended going back to where it was with a civil war which broke up this Union. The EU wants to do the same like Yugoslavia did in 1918 and create a United States of Europe, believe me there are facts on this.
    Well, I'm familiar with this analysis -although I don't think Moldova was ever part of Yugoslavia was it -, but I don't agree with it. The wars were started by the hateful nationalism of Milosevic, and something similar could happen again if the EU were to disintegrate

As for EU human rights, are you seriously suggesting that the likes of Bulgaria and Croatia don't have one single politican who can sort these issues out without any EU involment at all? I will be extremely amazed if that is the case, especially if the average Bulgarian welcomes the EU human rights act.
    Basically, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. The few good ones they have need EU political support. Otherwise they'd meet a sticky end. Trust me on that

I don't really know much about the political side in Czech Republic but what exactly made Solvakia and Czech Republic become two seperate countries?

Similar answer to Yugoslavia, but the differences were, nationalists in both countries cooked it up, and that Czechs are far less confrontational than south Slavs - or Brits for that matter. Klaus for the Czechs and Meciar for the Slovaks. Havel was against it. Klaus is one of your political heroes' allies. And here's the thing - and mark my words, Disco: there was no referendum!

• Options
    Having lived in Slovakia for a while, I can honestly say that Jan Slota and Robert Fico to name but two, didn't give a hoot about reform, only how to screw more money out of the EU for their own good. Also, the majority of people with money there behaved like pigs! The police were corrupt and the "families" still ruled. This was in 2007 - 2010. However, did meet a lot of decent people there.
  • Options
    sralan said:

Having lived in Slovakia for a while, I can honestly say that Jan Slota and Robert Fico to name but two, didn't give a hoot about reform, only how to screw more money out of the EU for their own good. Also, the majority of people with money there behaved like pigs! The police were corrupt and the "families" still ruled. This was in 2007 - 2010. However, did meet a lot of decent people there.

Interesting you lived there. The real reformers were the ones before Fico. Soon after the EU accession they adopted a low flat corporate and income tax rate, and put a cap on social taxes. They've since enjoyed GDP rates twice as high as their big brothers in CZ, every quarter. But sure, Sweden it isn't. But nor would it be where it is now without EU accession. It's one big car assembly plant, but only thanks to the EU.