Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Enhanced CRB

Right here we go:

Had a job interview for a school the other week (IT Tech) and was successfully in the interview they mentioned any unspent convictions or warnings blah blah I said no as I thought my criminal damage warning from when I was 12 (2006) would of been wiped. However it came through with it on, I have emailed the HR manager and my direct boss at the school saying this and I hope it doesn't affect my position and I can explain or give anymore information if needed however had no reply all day.

Worrying me now and what road do I take if they don't reply? Tried ringing no answers.

Hate the fact a incident of drawing on a bus stop when I was 12 has caused all of this!

Comments

• Options
    Does seem extreme however I think the issue now won't be your age at the time or the trivial nature of the offence but that you didn't declare it.

Its an enhanced check as required for a school (quite rightly) so more will come out. In any case it was "only" 6 years ago.

I wouldn't give up on the job yet. The School will have to go thru its processes and check details etc all of which takes time.

Fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    what did you get for the criminal damage?
  • Options
    Nothing just a reprimand
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, senior management at a primary school and we would only refused someone on drug or child offences, not something done when you were 12.
  • Options
    surprised its on a crb, as any cautions of five years etc are wiped from them if you dont reoffend, sometimes they need to be challenged
  • Options
    I failed mine the other week as I was supposed to start some work at a company in Nottingham, no clue what for as I don't have a record?

My director just laughed at me!
  • Options
    get a pnc plaayer about 10 pound they have whatever info the police have on you even if you have no record
  • Options
    The whole crb thing is completely over the top. we know someone who lost their job as a school TA when CRBH's introduced and a previous misdominer( spelling) was reaveled . She had being doing the job 3 years.

Her offence was that 10 years earlier she had got a police caution (at the age of 17 when employed on a saturday job by a large supermarket) for eating a cream bun that had been thrown in the skip that had passed it's sell by date. She was then out of work for 2 years
  • Options
    nolly said:

get a pnc plaayer about 10 pound they have whatever info the police have on you even if you have no record

Cheers mate, I'll do that. I did wonder what it could be for? Lucky my boss is alright about it.
  • Options
    The original intention was that reprimands would be wiped at 18. The police objected and they stay even after spent convictions have been deleted. Colleague was not allowed to work on air conditioning in schools as a result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DPFC said:

The whole crb thing is completely over the top. we know someone who lost their job as a school TA when CRBH's introduced and a previous misdominer( spelling) was reaveled . She had being doing the job 3 years.

Her offence was that 10 years earlier she had got a police caution (at the age of 17 when employed on a saturday job by a large supermarket) for eating a cream bun that had been thrown in the skip that had passed it's sell by date. She was then out of work for 2 years

Lol. Why would you eat a cream bun from a skip
  • Options
    Had to do something similar where I work, in IT, just for basic security over data etc. We all had to do it and the basic line we were given was that something you'd done in the past wouldn't matter unless you either lied about it or it was connected to fraud or similar where there could be a conflict with the work. Declared cautions I had for flyposting and had no problem.

I would expect the school to be sensible about it as you'd thought it was spent, but when these checks happen nothing is really spent. It's why when youngsters get nicked for stupid stuff and they're told accept a caution, it'll be gone after a while, it's not necessarily the best thing as it won't be gone from an enhanced check.

On the TA sacked for eating a bun, I can't believe that wasn't down to management discretion. Again a warning against just accepting a caution, particularly for something that would have been laughed out of court.
  • Options
    Got a bit of experience of this through work. Very surprised that a juvenile caution for such a minor offence has shown up tbh but it'll be because it's an Enhanced check involving working with kids and those ones show up pretty much everything. Some (serious) crimes are never spent but no way would this fall into this category.

Strictly speaking you haven't lied or anything though as you assumed (correctly) that the caution, if indeed it were a proper caution anyway, which i doubt, was 'spent'.

I would doubt that this would be a deal breaker in the circumstances surely?

• Options
    It's mostly a money-making scheme. I work in a school, and every few years they need to do a new CRB check on all members of staff. As if I may have been convicted of a crime without the school knowing anything about it. I do understand their use though.

WillmoreTheRed, that sucks, hope it works out for you.
  • Options

It's mostly a money-making scheme. I work in a school, and every few years they need to do a new CRB check on all members of staff. As if I may have been convicted of a crime without the school knowing anything about it. I do understand their use though.

How does the school make any money out of this?
  • Options
    Cheers guys, gutting and stupid really at twelve the last thing on my mind was "I won't write my name there as my CRB will show it" ruins lives in a sense!
  • Options
    Im up in Scotland and my boy got in a fight at the age of 15 at school and the police were involved.He got some sort of charge that came off his record at 16.It has come off as he is doing a qualification that involves going in to schools sports coaching and he has been vetted and passed fit to do this.Surely a 12 y/o writing on a bus stop being left on someones record must be a mistake?
  • Options

No, not for the school, for the people who process them. You have to pay to get a CRB check done.
    Thankfully, the school pays rather than the staff.
  • Options

No, not for the school, for the people who process them. You have to pay to get a CRB check done.
    Thankfully, the school pays rather than the staff.
    Yes, but the point is it's the decision of the school/education authority that CRB's need renewing every three years as far as I know. That seems a very reasonable period of time to me, considering you have to have an annual MOT for example. If they got them once and once only then they are reliant on the employee telling them they've been nicked or it coming out in some other way, which they have no control over and leaves the child at risk potentially. They can't win really.
  • Options
    @Plaaayer Look into it, they are known to make mistakes especially if you have a similar name and DoB to someone that actually does have a conviction.

You should have been sent a copy as well, I had a copy of mine when I renewed my enhanced crb last year.

Anyway, you work in HR, or you did, surely you could "adjust" it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2012
    CRB's have just turned into another money making process for local councils and F.A 's . Totally unnecessary and unjustified .( in my opinion)
  • Options

CRB's have just turned into another money making process for local councils and F.A 's . Totally unnecessary and unjustified .( in my opinion)

Yep, good idea but has been made a mockery of
  • Options
    i am a primary teacher and it is really down to the school, I have 2 cautions from when i was younger that are still on my crb. I have tried to get them removed but have found out the law recently changed and they stag on your record for 100 years apparently. In my experience it is about luck and how the schools perceive it, some take a no tolerance on any records others dont care unless it is for child/drug/major offences. Id suggest in future declaring it and writing a brief statement of what happened and how youve changed since the incident, i think thats what schools want to see, how you have learnt and moved
  • Options
    Well had a email back very late last night from my direct boss who said as I was very young at the time and it was only a warning I am fine and still have the job :-) - thank f**k for that! Still feel sorry for anyone who's lost their job over something they did when they was young think it should be wiped once you reach 18 or five years.
  • Options

Well had a email back very late last night from my direct boss who said as I was very young at the time and it was only a warning I am fine and still have the job :-) - thank f**k for that! Still feel sorry for anyone who's lost their job over something they did when they was young think it should be wiped once you reach 18 or five years.

Great news and a very sensible decision. Well done and congrats Willmore!
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I failed mine the other week as I was supposed to start some work at a company in Nottingham, no clue what for as I don't have a record?

My director just laughed at me!

Crimes against (footwear) fashion?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    My eldest got a part time cleaning job at a college down here. Through an agency, she had to do a CRB, and expected that of course. The Agency wanted so much info, even I who have worked in contract IT for years was flabbergasted. Passport, Driving License, 3 x bills, reference and more. She had worked there 3 weeks (without pay while CRB was going through) and the last straw was when the twat at the agency asked her would she mind popping down to the local Old Bill to have her fingerprints taken? She by then was at the end of her tether, she was the only English worker there, they were all foreign workers. So for 2.5 hours in the morning, cleaning up after disgusting student trolls, she told them to feck off and stick the job. Turns out there are rumours (rumours I know...) that these agencies just gather up details of legit people, including fingerprints and then use the info to get illegals into the country working for under £4ph under false documents.

I already adhere to a shoot on sight policy with IT agents and/or burglers but these firms are absolute scum.
  • Options
    I think the least you can do Willmore is offer to run some creative art or handwriting courses for the School : - )

Good luck with the job.
  • Options
    My wife has trouble with CRBs because there is someone who uses her identity. Every time she has a CRB check she get's this long list of convictions and has to prove she's the 'real' Mrs Lout to get a clean one. These day there is a system to speed this up, but the first time it took months.
  • Options
    The employer should apply common sense you would hope. You can legitimately say that you didn't think a minor misdemenour you committed when you was 12 would count.