Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A question that divided opinion in the pub last night

Comments

• edited October 2012

Alcohol sales are actually on the decline in this country, the price being a factor and slight cultural changes amongst young people apparantly.

It's difficult to define an alcoholic as opposed to a heavy drinker or pisshead. A beer or 2 after work doesn't make you an alcoholic. 7 pints after work, every day would be dangerous and unhealthy, but if you can survive all day without a drink you're probably not an alcoholic.

A whole day?!
  • When I was doing nights at gatwick last year we were regularly pissed in the weatherspoons at 6am. Everyone on the trains found it a problem. I thought it was great
  • used to do this regularly when i worked nights. nothing wrong with it.

Regularly eh?
  • Alcohol sales are actually on the decline in this country, the price being a factor and slight cultural changes amongst young people apparantly.

It's difficult to define an alcoholic as opposed to a heavy drinker or pisshead. A beer or 2 after work doesn't make you an alcoholic. 7 pints after work, every day would be dangerous and unhealthy, but if you can survive all day without a drink you're probably not an alcoholic.

A whole day?!
    What I mean is that an alcoholic wouldn't be able to get up, go to work etc without a drink first thing or at lunchtime.

Someone who gets pissed every night, but doesn't drink during the rest of the day, has a serious drink problem, but isn't (IMHO) an alcoholic
  • Alcohol sales are actually on the decline in this country, the price being a factor and slight cultural changes amongst young people apparantly.

A whole day?!
    What I mean is that an alcoholic wouldn't be able to get up, go to work etc without a drink first thing or at lunchtime.

Someone who gets pissed every night, but doesn't drink during the rest of the day, has a serious drink problem, but isn't (IMHO) an alcoholic
    This is an interesting point. Mentioning no names, someone quite close to me describes themselves as a "functioning alcoholic" - drinks every day at some point - if out in the evening (and not drinking) will return home and get straight onto the whiskey. I fear for their future. Never drinks during the day though, so maybe not an alcoholic???

• It's difficult to define an alcoholic as opposed to a heavy drinker or pisshead. A beer or 2 after work doesn't make you an alcoholic. 7 pints after work, every day would be dangerous and unhealthy, but if you can survive all day without a drink you're probably not an alcoholic.

What about the evening ?
  • some people are wired wrong when they drink sadly, i used to have a couple then want to get on the oats and would be missing for the whole weekend,other people can drink anytime in the day and be perfectly normal and charming
  • Work permanent nights, and the morning on these days 7 am is where my evening starts usually taken up with catch up on sky planner and a couple of beers, during the summer months old girl next door putting out washing me sat on the patio with a pint. ;-)
  • I quite often have a beer after a night shift. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Used to work with a brilliant guy, very very intelligent. He used to have 3 pints minimum every lunchtime. We thought he needed it to slow himself down to the speed of the rest of us! Only problem was we'd quite often join him in the pub! Those really were the days - what's happened to that wonderful 'drinking culture'?
  • Sponsored links:

• More important is surley whether food with a pint at 8am would be considered breakfast or dinner.
  • Saga Lout said:
  • Saga Lout said:
    2:28PM
    Used to work with a brilliant guy, very very intelligent. He used to have 3 pints minimum every lunchtime. We thought he needed it to slow himself down to the speed of the rest of us! Only problem was we'd quite often join him in the pub! Those really were the days - what's happened to that wonderful 'drinking culture'?

agree when I started work there was a drinking club that went out every lunch time and frequently had 3 pints and Fridays was always pub day but not now. Changing work culture i suppose everyones so bloddy serious
  • there isnt much of a drinking culture among late teens/early 20's now. the media like to think its getting worse but it isnt.

10 years ago up Bexleyheath there used to be Yates/Lloyds dead opposite each other. then you had Ice Bar (Polo Bar/Drayman), Zero Bar, OHM (now Pure/old trading post). These places were packed on a friday and saturday.

Now most have closed down or are empty.
  • Saga Lout said:

Used to work with a brilliant guy, very very intelligent. He used to have 3 pints minimum every lunchtime. We thought he needed it to slow himself down to the speed of the rest of us! Only problem was we'd quite often join him in the pub! Those really were the days - what's happened to that wonderful 'drinking culture'?

still exists to an extent in the city but NOTHING like it was.

i only had four at lunch today.
  • seems as if there is alot more stress with keeping your job.
    people being laid off (in some places) there is more work for fewer people.

A friend of mine is in the publishing world, used to always have drinks, take clients out, weekend conferences (weekend piss ups) non of that happens anymore.

money being a big factor....in the case for publishing....not enough books being sold and big companies mainly from america who have a strict and non-compromising way of going about business trying to save money. your just a number to them.
    same with most companies.
    everything has become tighter due to lack of money, cant afford so many people working for them and they certainly cant afford them being away from the office for several hours before coming back in no fit state to be of much use. money is the same issue for young people not going out as much. most either drink at home/mates or just have a cup of tea.
  • DRF said:

More important is surley whether food with a pint at 8am would be considered breakfast or dinner.

Do pork scratchings ever constitute breakfast or dinner?
  • Depends what you are drinking? Thunderbird
  • On my journey to work I frequently see people on their way to work supping cans. They ain't shift workers! If your breakfast is a can of cider you're an alcoholic even if you (currently) hold down a job.

I don't think shift workers having a pint after work is the same thing but it could easily become a problem if it's after every shift though.

We have a huge problem with alcohol in this country and it's only getting worse.

You frequently see people on their way to work drinking booze ? As in people who work a regular 9-5 ?

If you have to have those two beers after work and can't concentrate without then you are a alcoholic, it is a addiction.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

On my journey to work I frequently see people on their way to work supping cans. They ain't shift workers! If your breakfast is a can of cider you're an alcoholic even if you (currently) hold down a job.

I don't think shift workers having a pint after work is the same thing but it could easily become a problem if it's after every shift though.

We have a huge problem with alcohol in this country and it's only getting worse.

You frequently see people on their way to work drinking booze ? As in people who work a regular 9-5 ?
    Afraid so. In fairness I do drive through Boscombe which some of you may remember from the away matches down here. Lots of people in rehab down here too, including Gazza of course.
  • edited October 2012

se9addick said:

On my journey to work I frequently see people on their way to work supping cans. They ain't shift workers! If your breakfast is a can of cider you're an alcoholic even if you (currently) hold down a job.

Afraid so. In fairness I do drive through Boscombe which some of you may remember from the away matches down here. Lots of people in rehab down here too, including Gazza of course.
    Bloody hell ! I get a packed commuter train every day for years and can't recall ever seeing anyone drinking at that time !
  • I work rotating shifts so I have a drink at 7am 3pm and 11pm does this make me a alcolholic?
  • As far as I can see no-one who has done a whole day, or night, at work should be criticised because they fancy a beer or two; they've earned it.

There's too many "professionals" going around trying to convince people they are alcoholics because it fits their particular paradigm rather than anything in reality.
  • Is having a beer after work worse than having a cigarette?
  • you can 7 pints in one week and still be a alcoholic
  • You're talking about pints of absinthe though Nolly.
  • no. i used to and my aa sponsor says its fine.
  • edited October 2012
    i once sniffed butane gas from a cylinder with old school friends after a drink up in 2000, the horror of my mates mum as she opened the shed
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Bloody hell ! I get a packed commuter train every day for years and can't recall ever seeing anyone drinking at that time !
    I expect that the embarassment factor may have some bearing. These people are not sitting there knowing that the rest of the carriage is judging them, they are just necking a quick can before jumping on a bus or walking along into town. In fairness perhaps I should have said 'regularly' rather than 'frequently' but is far from uncommon down here.