Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England cricket tours. advice needed

Hi all

It has been on my bucket list for a number of years to take in an England test match in the West Indies with my dad before it's too late. My dad is now 60 and without meaning to sound morbid, there may not be many more opportunities.

England are touring the west Indies in January but I don't even know where to begin looking for deals.

Does anyone have any experience of England cricket tours & can point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2012
    Are they really? I thought 2014 was the next time we were out there. It's something I really want to do with my old man as well especially since my mum died this year.

Didn't realise there was something going on in January - all info gratefully received.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Best bet .. fly to Miami and island hop from there. Lots of local flights to all the islands .. Based in Miami, cheaper hotels, food, drink and Spanish is not compulsory ... you need the test match schedule of course

EDIT: Just seen you dad's age .. 60 ! ... if he's reasonably fit he'll be around for a good few years yet
  • Options
    WSS said:

Are they really? I thought 2014 was the next time we were out there. It's something I really want to do with my old man as well especially since my mum died this year.

Didn't realise there was something going on in January - all info gratefully received.

sorry you are correct. I misread it. March 2014
  • Options
    I was looking at this about a month ago because I want to do the same. I was told to go through the Barmy Army website.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I was looking at this about a month ago because I want to do the same. I was told to go through the Barmy Army website.

This, defo barmy's website, they advise on travel hotels tickets, its very good.
  • Options
    My wifes brother and family went to Trinidad last time, and their mate just made up some vip passes that had the ECB logo and west Indies logos and the dates of the test, and they had access all areas with no one stopping them!!!
  • Options
    I did 9 England tours a few years back, both before and after the Barmy Army were formed - I loved it so much I wrote a book about it! You have a couple of options IMO - go independently and find hotels, buy tickets locally (may be difficult), or go through a tour company. Barmy Army do tours now (they didn't when I went), or try Gulliver's Sports Travel (http://www.gulliverstravel.co.uk/). Gulliver's are one of the biggest cricket and rugby tour operators around, and very professional (which might suit your dad). The tour options vary depending how long you go for and what class hotel you want. Windies tours are historically very expensive with local hoteliers knowing that they will sell out when England come calling...this makes booking early, or with a tour co important. Pick your venue carefully, as they differ enormously. I went to Guyana, Barbados, Grenada, and Antigua to see matches. I don't know if there are five tests yet, or if you would prefer ODI's, but to get a few games in you need to pick the part of the tour that this best allows (with tetsts, usually toward the end when up-country games have finished). Accomodation is usually good (and will be if booked through a tour co), but sometimes you may wish to stay away from certain venues (for instance, if worried about violence in Jamaica, health in Guyana, etc, being bored in Trinidad, etc). Barbados and Antigua tend to be the favourite venues as they usually put those tests back-to-back, but due to this can become very popular. If you PM me, I can give you loads of info, do's and don'ts etc.
  • Options

ECB is pleased to announce the launch of TwelfthMan Travel, an official travel service for TwelfthMan members.

For the 2013/14 Ashes Series in Australia, TwelfthMan Travel will be working with Cricket Australia to offer travelling England fans fantastic value ticket and travel options.

Tour packages will include:
    Ashes and/or ODI Series tickets
    Choice of hotels
    Invites to official pre-match Ashes events
    Official England Cricket merchandise
    Chances to win exclusive prizes
    Flights are not included in Tour packages, but can be booked separately. We will point you in the right direction when the packages go on sale.

TwelfthMan members who want to make their own travel/ accommodation arrangements will have the chance to access a limited number of day (not match) tickets on a first-come, first-served basis mid 2013. This is an allocation which will be available exclusively to TwelfthMan members. Tickets are strictly non-transferrable and purchase is not guaranteed.

Packages go on sale from February 2013, but more information will follow via email shortly. There is also a list of FAQs here: www.ecb.co.uk/twelfthmantravel

All of the above is subject to change.

TwelfthMan
  • Options
    Just watch out for that Jimmy Saville from the barmy army, heard a lot about him recently....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    http://twelfthmanextra.ecb.co.uk/rsps/wlnk/c/878/r/3369049/e/1703

TwelfthMan is pleased to announce that TwelfthMan Travel packages for the 2013/14 Ashes Series in Australia have gone on sale today!

(You will be required to log into the TwelfthMan section on ecb.co.uk to purchase)

Tour packages include:
    Ashes and/or ODI Series tickets
    Choice of hotels
    Invites to official pre-match Ashes events
    Official England Cricket merchandise
    Chances to win exclusive prizes
    Flights are not included in Tour packages, but can be booked separately.

TwelfthMan members who want to make their own travel/ accommodation arrangements will have the chance to access a limited number of day (not match) tickets on a first-come, first-served basis mid 2013 as per previous tours. This is an allocation which will be available exclusively to TwelfthMan members. Tickets are strictly non-transferrable and purchase is not guaranteed.

TwelfthMan

• Options
    One trip i want to do is go to the World Cup in Oz in 2015, and travel through the middle of Oz from Perth to Sydney v ia Ayers Rock along the Gunbarrel Highway - anyone done that?