Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Places you've seen Charlton players away from the game

Comments

• Options
    I've had the pleasure of seeing Keith Peacock in Bexley Village a few times.   He's always smiling and always says hello.
    Used to see Keith Peacock regularly on a Sunday morning when my Sunday league side met at The Red Barn - he was as you describe
    Keith Peacock is an absolute gentleman .. one might call him a real diamond geezer  :)
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Saw:-
    Colin Walsh in Cyprus.
    Graham Stuart in the Slug and Lettuce Beckenham
    Lennie Lawrence on Blackfriars early morning, probably off to his job at Luton.

Blimey, our lists are eerily similar. I saw Graham Stuart in Patrick's in Beckenham and Lennie Lawrence in a bookies I worked in when he was Luton manager.
  • Options
    Girl I used to work with in Sunbury, went home with Marcus Bent (from Sunbury) - her Mum loved him because he took his dirty shoes off and left them on the doorstep
  • Options
    I played cricket against and drunk beer with Jimmy Giles just before it was announced that he was joining Charlton. I played him on a cricket tour at Kenn in Devon. Jimmy played cricket for Worcestershire 2nds and was pretty quick and could hit sixes when batting. I managed survive an over or two of his bowling and when, as a very occasional leg spinner, he was battering us about the postage stamp cricket ground, I managed to get one to turn a bit which he missed. Sadly, our keeper missed the stumping that should have been a doddle. I think he scored 80 or 90 in no time.

He was a very friendly chap and was asking lots of questions about what South East London was like and what the crowd were like. Jimmy was a great competitor for Charlton if not the best centre half ever play for us.
    He did himself and us proud and was certainly a very tidy player but I have to say, suggesting he could be considered as the best centre half ever to play for us is really pushing it.
    Ambiguous English on my part. He certainly wasn't the best. I've edited it accordingly.
    Good man tma.👍
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    When Charlton played Wolves at home in the 07/08 season, John Joe Shelvey was on the same bus as me going to The Valley, he was a ball boy for the game. 

He was an unknown at the time but he was easily remembered by me due to his big bald head.

• Options
    I once saw Simon Webster in B&Q Charlton.
    I also saw Leaburn in Sutcliffe Park with one of his boys. 
  • Options
    Played cricket against mark penfold, paddy,steve grittJohnny bumstead,jimmy Giles ,Bob curtis and oddly enough Diego poyet ..not at the same time 

Played in the same cricket team as Lennie, (i managed to run 3 people out in 1 innings while he was keeping)

Saw Billy bonds in hyde park once and numerous times since running around elmstead woods

The hermanotor at tg fridays in thurrock 

Eamonn dunphy once told me to f off for playing football outside his house 

• Options

Saw Patrick Bauer in the floating Chinese restaurant on the Isle of Dogs. Think Curbs used to go there, mentioned it in his book. 

• Options
    Derek Ufton in a shop in Shortlands, the day after our 5-2 win at Grimsby, a gentleman.
    Eddie Youds a few times in Bromley, and The Crown in Blackheath watching us on the tele away at Old Trafford.
    Scott Minto in Norman Park during the first lockdown.
    John Humphrey on the Victoria line.
    Matte Svensson in Ikea/Croydon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Miquel Llera in the play park at Greenwich Park

Andy Peake/Stuart Balmer at my school prize giving

Carl Leaburn in Lewisham High Street

Martin Pringle in Bluewater

Paul Sturgess in the Frontier Post
  • Options
    I've seen Pardew walking down Oxford Street, back when he played for us

I've shared a Ryanair flight from Gothenburg to London with Martin Pringle
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Keith Peacock at the Churchill theatre in Bromley many years ago.  

Carl Leaburn in The Wharf quite regularly until lockdown.
  • Options
    Shag said:
    Super Clive in the bookies in Bexley/wasted in dartford

Deano in the offy in Bexley and the millers

Eddie Youds in various pubs ( shock )

Sweaty Balmer , Colin Walsh and Alex Rae ( spit ) in the old zens

Used to knock about with Jamie Stuart and his pals

Darren Bent queuing up in the blackwall tunnel traffic

Played cricket against Steve Gritt , played cricket with Mark Penfold

Graham Stuart at bluewater

Kevin Nicholls up Soho
    Last time i saw Jamie Stuart, he was having a fight outside the Polo Bar in Bexleyheath!
  • Options
    The entire squad in the Hyatt hotel birmingham the night before a villa away game. 

Pardew about 2 months after he was booted, in cafe Nero cov garden (also saw him on oxford street last week). Tosser 

Jerome Thomas in pitcher and piano islington.

Jonny Williams in London Bridge station. 

• Options
    I saw Dean Kiely in a bar in Manchester a few years ago. He walked past me and I couldn’t believe it was him so I followed him to the toilets, pretended to wee and had a chat. He looked a bit short for a PL keeper (probably just under 6ft) so to make sure I quizzed him on who he played for before Charlton, which only the real Deano would know. Anyway he loved it and was a top bloke and we got a selfie right by the urinals. Probably looked a bit weird to the other people in the toilets!
    Kiely was sat behind me on the shuttle bus from Cheltenham train station to the racecourse a few years ago.
  • Options
    Back in 2000-2001 I used to work in Timberland in Bluewater when I was back from Uni. Served a few Charlton players in my time. Dean Kiely bought about 5 pairs of boots in one go, and served Shaun Bartlett, JJ, and Kinsella at different times as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kevin Dickenson at Lords for a Test Match against the WIndies about 85.
    Alan Curbishley and Steve Dowman in Little Chef on the way back from a game at Brighton.
  • Options
    Karlan Ahearne-Grant (As he was named at the time) at Goals Eltham. Around the same time he was breaking into the first team.
  • Options
    Chris Dickson shouted "Come on Charlton!" when he saw my shorts at Catford Goals.

Saw Jose Semedo in Virgin Active Bickley.

Scott Minto did the presentation at Orpington Rovers presentation back in early 90s or so and I told him I was gutted he'd gone to Chelsea.

Used to work at same place as Colin Walsh and chatted with him regularly.  Top bloke and big Charlton fan.
  • Options
    I’d parked at the shops in Albany Park a few years ago and when I got back to my car a sliver Merc was parked next to me and the bloke had the door open and was on the phone. It looked like his door was against my car (it wasn’t) but when I checked, I saw it was Keith Peacock. It was the day it’d been announced he’d gone to West Ham and I got talking to him about it. He said it felt strange going to another club and that it had been Curbishley he’d been on the phone to letting him know.
  • Options
    moved into a rented house in Sidcup with my girlfriend at the time for about 18months and Peter Garland was my next door neighbour. Very friendly and did a wicked bbq
  • Options
    Saw Jacko a few weeks back in M&S Charlton. Not that surprising or exciting but there you go.
  • Options
    Also when Jordan Cousins played for us in the Championship, saw him at Bluewater loads of times including twice at TGI’s a few months apart.
  • Options
    Just remembered, when Jacko was playing for us, again in the Championship I believe, saw him outside HMV in Lakeside one time. He was waiting for someone because he was standing around texting on his phone. 
  • Options
    Mike Kenning outside British Home Stores, Hare Street, about 1969/70 - That's all I've got!

My Mum, when she was a slip of a girl, worked in a shop in Charlton Church Lane and the players often used to pop in. The only one she recognised was Sam Bartram who she said was "very nice". This would have been late 40's

Some time in the late 60's my uncle once chanced upon a bunch of first team players in the Admiral in Frances Street one Friday night pre-game.
    2 or 3 of them were completely sozzled and my uncle (who had also had a few) tore into them, complaining that he spent good money to watch them on a Saturday etc etc.
    He actually changed his allegiance to Spurs after that!!!