Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford and loans

I just read in the daily mail (!) that Watford started their last match with 6 loan signings with two more coming on as substitutes. I thought the limit was 5 in a squad? Any one know the exact rule?
Cheers

Comments

• We are starting with just the one loan on Saturday...................Wonga.com
  • edited September 2012

I just read in the daily mail (!) that Watford started their last match with 6 loan signings with two more coming on as substitutes. I thought the limit was 5 in a squad? Any one know the exact rule?
    Cheers

Your allowed as many overseas loan players as you like..

Our subs against Bristol City were:

Lloyd Doyley (nearly 400 apperences for the club)
    Fitz Hall (Signed on a free transfer from QPR)
    Troy Deeney (Top scorer from last season...and just out of jail)

Now I have seen the article and sort of agree that its not good from a footballing point of view to have so many new unproven players as has been shown in some games but TBF Zola has played the likes of Nosworthy,Hogg,Murray and even Mark Yeates in almost every game plus having Chris Iwelumo up front.

Also John Eustace started the season before injury and Martin Taylor disppeared to Sheffield Wednesday.

So really its not like the whole team have been taken over by the loan signings...and believe me you wouldn't want Joe Garner or Carl Dickinson in your local park side!

One of our main loan players in Vydra has been our best player whilst Abdi and Pudli are better than what we had in midfield/left back.

My main problem with the loan players is that most of them seem to be unfit or cannot defend which is unusual for a team coached by Italians.

• From the football league website........although this was last season so might have changed??

52.3.1 A maximum of 5 loan Players (Standard, Emergency or Youth) can be named in the Players listed on a team sheet for any individual match played under the auspices of The League.

53.2.4 A Club can have a maximum of 4 Players under 23 and a further 4 Players over 23 on a Standard Loan during any Season. The deadline for determining a Player's age in this respect shall be 30 June prior to the Season in which the Standard Loan is intended to take place.

53.2.6 Standard Loans which subsequently become permanent transfers (which can occur any time during the period of the Standard Loan) shall not count against a Club's quota of such Standard Loans for that Season.

So the question is, are all of the players in question still on loan or have they signed permanently?
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2208564/Watford-snapshot-thats-wrong-modern-football-Martin-Samuel.html

Quite an interesting article that. It seems odd, actually no daft, that the rules on loan players don't apply to loans from abroad, you either have restrictions or you don't. Personally i wouldn't want more than 2 or 3 loan players in a team, as I'm not sure you can build team spirit otherwise, quality rather than quantity...
  • The good news is that Zola couldn't manage to get a burger in McDonalds .. fans of Inspector Montelbano will know what I mean when I say 'Carella'.
    The English football 'authorities' are mad to let Watford get away with this. I hope that the club is relegated
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2208564/Watford-snapshot-thats-wrong-modern-football-Martin-Samuel.html

Quite an interesting article that. It seems odd, actually no daft, that the rules on loan players don't apply to loans from abroad, you either have restrictions or you don't. Personally i wouldn't want more than 2 or 3 loan players in a team, as I'm not sure you can build team spirit otherwise, quality rather than quantity...

So if you are Foreign you have no problem securing a temporary job in this Country but if you are English you do. Classic.
    No wonder we have so many people Unemployed.
    Personally I would hate to follow a team with so many Foreign loan players. It isn't really helping them this season so far which is good for us.
  • I just read in the daily mail (!) that Watford started their last match with 6 loan signings with two more coming on as substitutes. I thought the limit was 5 in a squad? Any one know the exact rule?
    Cheers

My main problem with the loan players is that most of them seem to be unfit or cannot defend which is unusual for a team coached by Italians.

May have something to do with swapping the delights of Udinese for those of Watford?

The Football League really have to do something about this loophole - how long before clubs start loaning their players to some Italian park side that then loans them onto English clubs, or player registrations being held by overseas clubs, just to get around the regulations - wouldn't be suprised if Pardew is working on the idea already. If Watford really want to be Udinese reserves then might I suggest they relocate.
  • edited September 2012
    I do think it is problematic. Say Arsenal decided to do the same with Millwall - it wouldn't be allowed and rightly so. The loan player limit should apply wherever the player comes from.

I don't think it helps Watford because Championship refs like to let fouls go and a lot of the game revolves around this fact. It is a shock to foriegn players, especially ones with limited experience of British lower league football.
  • Pound for pound Udinese are the most successful club at scouting in Europe. They do have a bit of a scattergun approach though and get in dozens of young players. Over the last few years they acquired Grenada and through a similar arrangement. They got prmoted and stayed up. Interesting to see where it goes with Watford. I'm not sure that swapping out a homegrown and over-achieving manager for a marquee name is the right thing, but time will tell.

if you are Foreign you have no problem securing a temporary job in this Country but if you are English you do. Classic.
    No wonder we have so many people Unemployed.

Well remember this rule only applies to people that are already employed by one club, so nobody affected is without work. Also, the rule applies equally to foreign players at English clubs, so it's not quite the attack on St George that you're implying.
  • @Super_horns

How have the Watford fans generally taken to the change in club over the last few months ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pound for pound Udinese are the most successful club at scouting in Europe.

Is there a source for this as i'd be interested to see how.

Would've thought a side like Arsenal or Porto who buy relatively cheap and sell players seemingly every summer for 25m+ would take this accolade.

• @Super_horns

How have the Watford fans generally taken to the change in club over the last few months ?

Mixed really...some have been quite excited by the fact we've brought a lot of new players but most do feel as if we've over done it somewhat in that we've get over 40 players in the squad who will get restless if not playing and as some of you have pointed out there is a big difference between Reserve football in Italy and the Championship.

As I say though we've still had a good number of players either signed by Zola or from last season's squad playing so we've not totally turned into "Udinese B"

Infact next week you'll probably see at best 3 or 4 of these loan signings including a young guy from Chelsea...
  • I read that piece by Samuel in the Mail, I had no idea Watford had turned over that many players from last season's squad.

I think Watford have made a huge mistake here, they are a great club who have succeeded over the years by bringing through lots of their own players and mixing those with a few experienced heads like Dyche and Eustace etc.

If Charlton did this I could never really relate to a team of foreign loanees, the whole point is that the players have an actual commitment and connection to the club, this is what binds the whole thing together.

Last season's squad was a million miles away from the farcical second half of the 10/11 season under SCP where we had loanees and short-term contracted players all over the team (Bessone, Parrett, Ecclestone, Stewart) and it was a struggle to feel any connection to them.

Once we re-built the ship and brought in our own players who were committed to the club long-term it became much easier to feel we were a real club again.