Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sammy Clingan

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
Widely reported now that he is on verge of joining us, sky being the latest. What do people know about him and who would he be competing with most in our midfield? He turned down 12K a week to stay at Coventry, so assume that his wages would remain in that ballpark, playing in a higher division and he is apparently a defensive midfielder type.
This could just be a case of him training to keep fit as in the case of Reo Coker, who I would have quite liked to have joined us.
Will he be joining and is he worth signing at all?

Comments

• Options
    Samuel Gary "Sammy" Clingan (born 13 January 1984 in Belfast) is a Northern Irish international footballer who currently plays for Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Thought he was going to FC Star trek!
  • Options
    Bet he didn't get much stick at school with a name like that.
  • Options
    Surely in their current state, and playing in league one, there is no way Coventry offered him 12k a week.
  • Options
    Last 3 clubs;

Forest - Relegated
    Norwich - Relegated
    Coventry - Relegated
  • Options
    Agree Chris, you are probably right. Found this on http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/clingan_for_charlton_759473/index.shtml and misread it, he was seeking 12K a week.
  • Options
    Think he is a decent player, can certainly hit a ball from range. Was surprised we didn't go in for him earlier when Coventry were relegated.
  • Options
    "Following Norwich City's relegation, Clingan requested a transfer and was sold to Coventry City. He proclaimed that he wanted to play in the Premier League and Coventry offered him the best chance of getting there. Unfortunately for him, Coventry didn't make it to the Premier League. Two years later, however, Norwich City did secure promotion to the Premier League and Clingan was mercilessly taunted with cries of "Sammy Clingan, it could have been you." by Norwich City Supporters when the two clubs met on the last day of the championship season"

Not the wisest career move i've ever seen.

Incidentally, it's yet another sign of football being out of touch with reality, when an average player who has never (i think) played in the top flight, is allegedly looking for 12k a week!!!
  • Options
    At the time, I can see why Coventry looked like a better chance of getting to the Premier League. Norwich were in absolute freefall when they were relegated from the Championship under Brian Gunn. Had they not moved for Paul Lambert they would have almost certainly not made the Premier League, maybe not even the Championship.
  • Options
    Fair point, bet he felt a right idiot though.

Still he seems a decent enough player and on a free, would surely improve our squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will he play on the starboard bow?
  • Options
    Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP
    Sammy Clingan been told that he is welcome to train with #cafc but boss Chris Powell not sure yet if former Coventry midfielder will do so

CP: I spoke to his agent about a month ago and said to let him come in for a couple of days training, to see how he is. #cafc

CP: He is meant to be coming in to train but I haven't heard anything from his people. #cafc

nothing sounds imminent
  • Options
    Saw Clingan play a few times for Norwich City and from memory he looked fairly ordinary in a team of ordinaary players. Not sure if he's any better than any of our current squad.
  • Options
    Mike said:

Sammy Clingan been told that he is welcome to train with #cafc but boss Chris Powell not sure yet if former Coventry midfielder will do so

CP: I spoke to his agent about a month ago and said to let him come in for a couple of days training, to see how he is. #cafc

CP: He is meant to be coming in to train but I haven't heard anything from his people. #cafc

nothing sounds imminent

Sounds like he is looking for a better offer. Avoid

• Options
    Can't see the Mysterons funding this.
  • Options
    Can't see the Mysterons.
  • Options
    Sammy Clingan

sport.subu.fi
    Samuel Gary "Sammy" Clingan is a Northern Irish international footballer who currently plays for Charlton Athletic. Wikipedia
    Born: January 13, 1984 (age 28), Belfast
    Height: 1.80 m
    Weight: 72.64 kg
    Position: Midfielder
    Team: Northern Ireland national football team (#14 / Midfielder)
    People also search for

Gary McSheffrey

Andy Thorn

Martin Cranie

Michael O'Neill

Richard Keogh

David Healy

Lukas Jutkiewicz

Oliver Norwood
    Feedback

Interesting ?
  • Options
    What is it with CP and offering any tom dick or harry to train with us.
    3 relegations = the grim reaper, and not a great name for a Charlton player.
    12k is he havin a lauf
  • Options

What is it with CP and offering any tom dick or harry to train with us

That's football, also if the club and the manager are known to be helping pros who arguably should be playing in a higher league just by training with the u21s surely thats nothing but a good thing. No cost to wages and they can rub off on the youngsters and a couple might even choose to stay because they like it so much. Also every player tends to know each other, if in the future SCP is trying to sign a lower premier league player, they might phone up their old mate Nigel Reo Coker to see what the club and manager is like. Very shrewd by SCP imo
  • Options
    If he wants £12k a week he can jog on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A better quality midfielder is the difference between a lower table position and possible mid table position, this guy doesn't seem better than what we have.
  • Options
    Blokes a complete tw@t.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Blokes a complete tw@t.

Source?

• Options
    SE10 said:

Blokes a complete tw@t.

If it is not on the OS then I don't believe it. and I am hoping neither he nor Reo Coker are rubbing off on our youngsters

• Options
    Don't rate him myself. Always seems to go hiding when team on the backfoot.

Certainly nothing more than a back up squad player, and on those wages being mentioned, I'd want a hell of a lot better than him................
  • Options
    Feck me, no wonder Coventry are up shit creeek if they are paying an average player like him 12K per week.

No way in the world we would pay him that sort of dough.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

SE10 said:

Blokes a complete tw@t.

If it is not on the OS then I don't believe it. and I am hoping neither he nor Reo Coker are rubbing off on our youngsters

All I know is he is a Catholic playing for Northern Ireland.....doesn't bother me one tiny bit but some people caught up in sectarianism might not like that.......I'm absolutely sure this isn't SE10's reason for disliking him though....

Clarke aside CP seems a pretty judge of character
  • Options
    edited September 2012

• Options
    Oakster said:

Kap10 said:

SE10 said:

Blokes a complete tw@t.

All I know is he is a Catholic playing for Northern Ireland.....doesn't bother me one tiny bit but some people caught up in sectarianism might not like that.......I'm absolutely sure this isn't SE10's reason for disliking him though....

Se10's a long way from Belfast !
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oakster said:

Kap10 said:

SE10 said:

Blokes a complete tw@t.

Just know people who've been in his company a few times, and he seems to have a massively over rated opinion of himself plus a few other reasons (nothing to do with religion).