Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby

Any other Lifers into rugby?

I’ve never understood the anti-football feeling amongst most rugby lads, just wondered if it was the same going the other way? I love a bit of rugby myself, but find myself constantly defending my love of football when in the company of rugby people, it happened the other night while watching Us v Palarse at my mates place. A fella there kept banging on about footballers being a bunch of pansies etc, he even said that Wiggins went off because he “chipped his nail varnish” (I’ve since let him know it was a double fracture!). I use to drink at Askean RFC (Now Charlton Park RFC) and it was generally the same up there..

Where does this “chip on the shoulder” and bad feeling come from???

Anyone else experienced it?

Comments

• Options
    Union or League?
  • Options
    I remember a few years ago playing a game of football and on the field next to us was a game of rugby goin on. Straight after the game in the bar they was standing on the table n stuff chugging beers and singing. I couldnt really work it out.
    I actually don't mind watchin it. decent game, both forms. I don't really understand some of the decisions in union still tho.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Union or League?

Union mate.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

shirty5 said:

Union or
    League?

Union mate.
    In that case, I'm out. No time for it. Enjoy.

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Any other Lifers into rugby?

I’ve never understood the anti-football feeling amongst most rugby lads, just wondered if it was the same going the other way? I love a bit of rugby myself, but find myself constantly defending my love of football when in the company of rugby people, it happened the other night while watching Us v Palarse at my mates place. A fella there kept banging on about footballers being a bunch of pansies etc, he even said that Wiggins went off because he “chipped his nail varnish” (I’ve since let him know it was a double fracture!). I use to drink at Askean RFC (Now Charlton Park RFC) and it was generally the same up there..

Where does this “chip on the shoulder” and bad feeling come from???

Anyone else experienced it?

I'm like you and have always enjoyed both games. I played rugby (union) into my thirties but have always preferred to watch football other than international rugby.

I did play football too but always found rugby far more enjoyable and sociable.
  • Options
    Get to Blackheath at least three times a season (yet to get there this season though...)

Started going when I got fed up with the Premiersh!t and watching 22 millionaires ballet dancing around a pitch. Blackheath is a historic club, the crowd is small but knowledgeable and the bar maids are to be seen to be believed. Please be aware that they also have 6ft 3in Rugby playing boyfriends though.
  • Options
    Rugby lads are odd, they seem to love nothing more than dressing up as a woman or getting naked. Lots of pent up issues surrounding sexuality there, rugby tours give them a platform to express themselves amongst like minded blokes.
  • Options
    Lmfao at the cliche of rugby playing blokes as touchy-feely types just looking for an excuse to grab each other up or dress u as women. A lot of my mates are rugby players. Even the little ones could fold the average footballer up in a split second. I was a scrum-half when I was younger, but beyond school there was no way I was ever going to play the game - far too dangerous (and I played ice hockey for years as a kid!)

Love watching international rugby - club rugby is ok, much better live than on telly - but international rugby is where it's at.
  • Options
    love going to rugby, especially internationals. Totally safe and you can have a right royal piss up. You can drink while watching the game in the stands and they even leave the bars open after the match!!
  • Options
    Play it. Love it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leroy, Lmfao at footballers being pansies with chipped nail varnish, if rugby players can come out with insulting BS about football, so what's wrong with doing it the other way around?

In answer to the original post, all down to jealousy. They are jealous they don't have the skill to kick a ball straight, jealous that more than half a dozen countries take it seriously, jealous that millions more people are interested in football and jealous of the amount of money footballers earn.

I like rugby, especially the internationals.
  • Options
    egg chasers
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I find rugby culture quite bizarre, they wee on each other.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Rugby lads are odd, they seem to love nothing more than dressing up as a woman or getting naked. Lots of pent up issues surrounding sexuality there, rugby tours give them a platform to express themselves amongst like minded blokes.

This
  • Options
    I played rugby to a half decent level and did wonder about this dressing up as women bit! I like football,rugby and cricket I was good at rugby a decent cricketer,but a footballer that got the ball and gave it to those who could play!!
  • Options
    Rugby union remains the funnest sport I've ever played, above cricket and football which are sports I care a lot more for. It's the closest i (hope) will ever get to being on a battlefield. Love it. Think the games been tarnished by the thugs creeping into the game. Bloodgate and stories of eye gouging are disgusting. But I don't really follow it, loved playing it at school though.
  • Options
    Loved playing rugby and love watching it now, especially the internationals - the spectator side is so different.
    Took my son to Charlton-Palarse last week, fantastic atmosphere and passion, didnt want to miss a second of the game.owever queued for 25 minutes for a coffee at half time, felt treated like a piece of cattle and that I should be happy to be served anything, then worried about possible trouble after the game as my son is only ten.
    Next day went to Harlequins v Sale, everyone was drinking beer through the game and when I went to get one at half time there was no queue and ready poured. No hint of any trouble ever, and after the game all the kids are allowed on to the pitch to play and the players come out for photos autographs etc and will have a drink with you.
    Two totally different days but i loved both and do not see why there should be any antipathy between the two.
  • Options

Loved playing rugby and love watching it now, especially the internationals - the spectator side is so different.
    Took my son to Charlton-Palarse last week, fantastic atmosphere and passion, didnt want to miss a second of the game.owever queued for 25 minutes for a coffee at half time, felt treated like a piece of cattle and that I should be happy to be served anything, then worried about possible trouble after the game as my son is only ten.
    Next day went to Harlequins v Sale, everyone was drinking beer through the game and when I went to get one at half time there was no queue and ready poured. No hint of any trouble ever, and after the game all the kids are allowed on to the pitch to play and the players come out for photos autographs etc and will have a drink with you.
    Two totally different days but i loved both and do not see why there should be any antipathy between the two.

Well said that man!
  • Options
    Both my sons play for Blackheath and I go a fair bit to the 1st teams games, also do a bit of sponsorship there too.

• Options
    Not into Rugby, no skill in the game, unless you include the kicking element, in which case you may as well watch football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big rugby fan... both forms... been lucky enough to watch some Super Rugby in both NZ and Oz... and got to watch some NRL in Oz as well. Love the fact you can have a beer and some banter without getting into a fight with someone
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Not into Rugby, no skill in the game, unless you include the kicking element, in which case you may as well watch football.

I disagree, I've played both but rugby at a decent level and can tell you now rugby requires a lot of skill. You look at the way New Zealand play rugby and you try say that it doesn't require skill. Football is 90% legs and your feet ability where as Rugby incorporates hand skills, agility, upper body strength. To be honest the Aviva Premiership doesn't have the most attractive rugby in it. Rugby requires a lot more skill than you think
  • Options
    WestSA said:

Greenie said:

I disagree, I've played both but rugby at a decent level and can tell you now rugby requires a lot of skill. You look at the way New Zealand play rugby and you try say that it doesn't require skill. Football is 90% legs and your feet ability where as Rugby incorporates hand skills, agility, upper body strength. To be honest the Aviva Premiership doesn't have the most attractive rugby in it. Rugby requires a lot more skill than you think
    I dont think it does, most people can catch, so not that impressive then. A lot of people cannot use their feet for anything except walking thats why football is more skillful. Agility and being strong are not skills! Rugby players seem to be two types, either you can run like the wind, or be a brick sh1thouse, both of which are not skills. I stand by my last post, that said if people enjoy going then good for them, it just leaves me cold.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Disagree. I play for Blackheath and the amount of skill some of the 1st teamers use in training is just immense.
  • Options
    Play for my schools Under 17s side (I'm 16) and play every Saturday morning at 8:30, and come home at 12 and get ready to go straight up the Valley if there is a home game, so I can honestly say I'm into both sports.
    ( And not to blow my own trumpet but i recently have been scouted for Dartfordians Under 17s ;) )
  • Options
    Rugby is a much more complex and tactical game than football, which is why it will never be as popular. It is also fairer - normally the better side wins.

I'm not a fan though - I loved playing football and now love watching it.
  • Options
    No skill in rugby? Very obviously know nothing about it and have never played the game. Hugely technical team sport with far wider range of physical requirements than football.

Back to Big Rob's point at the start, I find far more rugby fans are into football and it's the footie fans who can't handle or don't understand "egg-chasing."
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Laughable.

• Options

No skill in rugby? Very obviously know nothing about it and have never played the game. Hugely technical team sport with far wider range of physical requirements than football.

Back to Big Rob's point at the start, I find far more rugby fans are into football and it's the footie fans who can't handle or don't understand "egg-chasing."

Utter rubbish! Played for my school! There is no skill in rugby other than the ability to catch a ball that is designed to
    be caught when passed correctly! Most people can catch easily so that negates rugby as a skilful ball game! So the wingers can run fast and drop a shoulder while holding the ball! Ooooo! Physical requirements do not equate to skill! Like I said earlier if people wanna go to rugby then great they may well find it exciting but as a highly skilled game it is left trialling in the wake of Football and cricket!
  • Options
    Was that Eton or Harrow? Why didn't you simply go on to play for your country and the Lions?