Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I used to enjoy CL

but now it seems to be full of people having a go at each other, take the post Ipswich match thread, I look at that to find out how Lifers saw the game and most of it is people having a go a each other or trying to make cheap points but very little about a match that we should all be pleased we won.

I agree that there is still a lot of good stuff on the site but I don't understand why there has to be so much personal aggression by adults that I would hope know better.

Am I in the minority, if so I'll shut up or get aggressive myself.

grrrrr

Comments

• Options
    This, 4-5 posts in and people were having a bitch.... not 'wums' either but quite 'respected' posters of this site.
  • Options
    agree too. hardly go on this site anymore. shame
  • Options
    Every football forums has them. Trying to rise above it and ignore it is the key.
  • Options
    The trend for sniping and cheap shots is not irreversible. We all need to realise what we have in CL and change our posts to show a little more respect to each other. Hope it happens. Perhaps we could have a sin bin for offenders ?
  • Options
    I was guilty of it the other day calling someone a mug and i apologise for it but it's because I was angry from the palace game and my critical post of Wilson was met with simply 'utter drivel'. No reason why, just that.

It seems that people don't like to discuss anything negative and alot of other posters take a moral high ground.
    It's come out on the thread you are talking about, people calling out 'the moaners' and tryin to score points. It's pretty sad.

I love a good football debate, and I praise more than I criticise, but it's quickly disappearing on here for the fear of bein called out. Shame.
  • Options
    Was thinking the other day
    What percentage of lifers do post on a regular basis?
    Some of my mates hardly post as they have said there is too much aggression on here
  • Options

but now it seems to be full of people having a go at each other, take the post Ipswich match thread, I look at that to find out how Lifers saw the game and most of it is people having a go a each other or trying to make cheap points but very little about a match that we should all be pleased we won.

I agree that there is still a lot of good stuff on the site but I don't understand why there has to be so much personal aggression by adults that I would hope know better.

Am I in the minority, if so I'll shut up or get aggressive myself.

grrrrr

It does make you wonder if people act like this when out on the street, or is it that they can hide behind a keyboard and make whatever comments
  • Options
    People have no manners anymore.

We are going to disagree, that's what a forum is about, but there are ways of doing it.

As for Henry and IA I can only partially quote Chirpy and say PLEASE grow up!

You are both intelligent blokes who enhance this forum when you are being sensible.
  • Options
    I used to contribute a lot but not anymore. I will read a lot more than I post. Just not worth the unnecessary aggro you get.
  • Options
    Just dont worry about it

I agree that there seems to be a real load of overly dismissive and rude ndividuals on here but only a couple would say stuff to your boat

The way forward is to ignore the crap

The thing between henry and the IA is just what is wrong on here a disagreement that gets taken off line and into the private section only for someone to try to score cheap shots and belittlement by posting a private convo

It is turning what was once a great place to visit to a place that does not hold the same attraction but there is no alternative as good

I think dan and the guys have provided a place that maybe about to consume its self
    Shame that there is no place for disc

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Discussion without being shouted down instantly dismisssed as a doom mongerer

Or a rose tinted blind man/woman

People cant disagree in a grown up way

• Options
    A bit early on a Sunday but can a moderator simply go in and delete?
    @!
  • Options
    I must say I am getting fed up with the sniping and playground bullying just because someone does not agree with someone elses opinion. I cannot fathom out how people get so angry over a stupid football supporters message board.
  • Options
    I raised this point soon after joining, but got told that that was the way it was and I'd get to know who was who in time.

I think the differences of opinion is to be expected on a football forum, but there is a degree of hair splitting which can be a bit long...
  • Options
    ...who is IA?
  • Options
    Incorruptible Addick
  • Options
    It was me that posted 'Utter drivel' to VG 's post. Judging by the general tone on here,I don't think it was overly personal or aggressive but I obviously caused offence. My apologies VG.
    I did, however,post a particularly crass and spiteful comment to Big Rob, which I immediately apologized for, but unfortunately I think the damage was done. I still cringe when I think of it...

I've been called a 'mug','left -wing twonk ',twat' among other things, but never find it offensive since that is occasionally the nature of forums and nobody on here, save Covered End who I was at school with, knows me.

Consequently, I keep my posts to a minimum and always try to consider other people's sensibilities. Ultimately, we are all Carlton fans and the majority of stuff on here is measured and humorous

Great result yesterday and don't drink and post. Ahem...
  • Options
    Feel the same. come on here just to see people thoughts. Hardly bother posting anymore. As NLA said. How many woukd actually say it to your face.
  • Options
    Didnt cause offence mate, it just bugged me and i was already in a shite mood. It's all good tho redskin.
  • Options
    What gets me is the extremity of some (and only some not all) peoples' opinions. It gets to the stage where you ARE a rose tinted idiot or a hateful Doom-monger... And that is it, balck/white, positive/negative, binary. It is unthinkable that you can be disappointed by the result but see positive signs, or happy with a result but acknowledge that improvements will need to be made long term.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Didnt cause offence mate, it just bugged me and i was already in a shite mood. It's all good tho redskin.

Good man.
  • Options

Feel the same. come on here just to see people thoughts. Hardly bother posting anymore. As NLA said. How many woukd actually say it to your face.

Personally i would say it to people face to face, but as i know only 20/25 people on here by their face, it would be a bit difficult to include everyone. You will always get Keyboard Warriors on every football forum you can think off, but and whilst that is unnecssary at least it has not yet turned into threats of violence which i have read on other forums. The day that happens on here (hopefully never), is the day that i'm off from here.
  • Options
    99.9% of posts are vaild to the individual there are occasions where people do post just to get reaction

We are all human and at times will bite or snipe i am as guilty of it as the next man however some seem to just use this site to measure dicks

• Options
    I apologise if my respnse to that other person upset anyone other than him.

I try to ignore the posters who seek to annoy me and get a reaction but he has the knack of getting under my skin every so often. My problem and no one elses.

I received an inbox message from him which I should have ignored. But when I finally responded the private response was instantly made public which I suspect was the other persons intention all along.

He said he won't post anymore. That is his choice and I have no comment to make. If he remains I will refrain from reacting to what I see as digs just as I did for many years with another, now banned, poster.

As for the keyboard warrior jibes no I'm just as argumentative (not agressive) in person ie I will argue my point when needed and if you express an opinion I will give mine.

If posters feel I overstep the mark then please say directly to me either on the relevant thread or via inbox but allow me the same option.

As the other thread shows the good on CL far far outweighs the bad and it is still the site that all those on other sites who profess to hate it read everyday and from which they take 99% of their news.

UTA
  • Options
    A few days ago, whilst under the influence of alcohol, I started a thread on Heimlich Himmler with the sole intention of annoying certain people. I subsequently issued myself with a one day suspension and a ban from posting while drunk. This kind of thing happens on here, but I've found that, with a couple of exceptions, people are very quick to apologise and don't hold a grudge.
    It's inevitable that people will act differently on an internet forum than they would in 'real life'.
  • Options
    For a football site this site has good moderation. However I do tend to ignore threads which descend into members having digs at each other. You feel like you're walking into a discussion where you don't really have the full picture. Probably only one or two members who I would avoid entirely (not post in threads they are involved in) and that's not bad for the amount of people on here.
  • Options
    Down with this sort of thing etc.

As regular as clockwork, the decline of this site is predicted and then everything calms down again. I agree with the point that some threads turn from discussion of the topic in hand to the trading of playground insults, but we need to get this into perspective. Just go to other football forums and look at the level of abuse and moronic 'conversation' that abounds - then you will realise how good this site is; that it really is a cut above the rest. The fact that we seem to be entering another difficult period for the club means that tempers have become more frayed than usual in certain quarters, but it really isn't that bad, honestly!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Absolutely spot on.

• Options
    A lot of us came from net addicts which had degenerated into an absolute nightmare...

We are a long way from that, but if we can just maybe step back a bit, particularly when things are difficult, on the pitch, then we should be fine...

A bit of self awareness will put the forum back in shape ...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Even if people kept it to a post or two - a bit of healthy animosity isn't necessarily bad, but the way it takes over whole pages of posts, it's like having a bickering couple in a pub when you're trying to have a quiet pint with your mates.