Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

best book on the history of the addicks?

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
what do people think, is the best book written on the history of addicks? cheers guys.<?(%~}>

Comments

• Options
    Not "When the robbin stopped bobbing". "Porter cabins to Porto captains" was quite good and the trillogy of biographys that we did a while ago with Bartram, Firmani and another (Leary?) were good
  • Options
    Best statistical history - Home and away colin cameron

Best Narrative history - Valley of Tears Richard Redden

Best individual player history - Sam Bartram Mike Blake

Best players history - the Valiant 500. Cameron

Best political history - Battle for the Valley rick Everitt (on sale now on other thread.

Best Trivia book - Charlton Miscelleny Matt Eastley (published next month)

Best easy to read history - the definative History.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Not "When the robbin stopped bobbing". "Porter cabins to Porto captains" was quite good and the trillogy of biographys that we did a while ago with Bartram, Firmani and another (Leary?) were good </blockquote

Hang your head in shame SE9

JIMMY SEED

: - )

• Options
    Oh dear, you're right, that was it !!!

Still if you've never read a book about our playing history before that trilogy should set you up right.
  • Options
    I have all of the aforementioned and enjoyed reading them all but I missed buying Ackworth 's masterpiece on all things charlton which I deeply regret.the best of the lot for it's humility and honesty ,however, is Gary Nelson 's left foot forward .
  • Options
    Still about 1600 copies of Ackworth's book available.

Nelson's is the best player autobiog I agree and not just Charlton.
  • Options
    Valley of Tears my absolute favourite, although different emphasis in all of them. But for an overall view, and it's a very well presented book, has to be that one for me.
  • Options
    yeah I enjoyed left foot forward and welling to wembley was ok.

but haven't read the suggested here, let's face it there aren't that many are there, so probably should read them all.

thanks for the input fellas<?(%~}>
  • Options
    Yeah. I've got Home and Away by Colin Cameron which is a good reference book (re. fixture, scores, appearances etc)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Favourite is "The Jimmy Seed Story", by Himself.

I picked up an original copy secondhand in Bromley more than 30 years ago - very readable and great insight into the Charlton of the 30s, their incredible rise from 3rd Division nobodies to 1st Division (top league) runners up in consecutive seasons, FA Cup winners, right through to Seed's sudden dismissal in 1956 after 23 years as manager of Charlton's longest successful period in their history.

Read how Jimmy Seed almost signed Stanley Matthews for Charlton!

Also lots more about his early days as a player - fascinating insight into an earlier period of footballing history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a few of the above for sale. Inbox me Sillav, or any one if you are interested.