Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Radio2

Comments

• Options
    Richard Allinson as Ken Bruce's replacement would be ideal but he got unceremoniously dumped by Aunty Beeb years ago.
    Of the current retinue Gary Davies has to be the best option
    Dunno if the current R2 head honcho is the same one who went mad for 'presenters' who ain't DJ's by any reasonable measure: Rylan, Dermot, Rob Beckett FFS!
    If he/she is responsible for those travesties I fear mid-morning will follow suit.
    R2's a music station and the mid-morning show has just about the largest audience nationally.  It needs a radio DJ: Davies, Allinson, Mark Goodier, Jackie Brambles, Alex Lester (unlikely as he's actually noctornal).  Sticking a 'presenter' let alone a 'celebrity' in that slot will be ruinous

For Popmaster devotees - GHR can be listened to retrospectively thru its website - means we can listen back to the quiz and skip the adverts
    It's part of Planet Radio and has its own app
  • Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    @Billy_Mix, agree with your post, except I like Dermots Saturday morning show and he is good at it....however Goodier is a good shout. I, as you would have seen from my post, would like Allinson, but whether he would return I guess is doubtful.
  • Options
    Listening to boom right now ....how radio should be ..great playlists and great variety much better than heart/magic. 
    If you are really ancient try boom light as another option 
  • Options
    Hoping that Shaun Keaveny takes over Ken’s personally, although it’s more likely to be Zoe Ball’s fun loving sidekick Richie Anderson!
  • Options
    Have a feeling they'll just slide Gary Davies straight in for Ken. Would be the obvious replacement. 
  • Options
    I’m afraid too many of the replacement preferences expressed here are unlikely to happen as the outcome would be you staying tuned into R2. You are not the audience they want I’m afraid. 

Be prepared to be disappointed…
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up re Greatest Hits radio. Found it on Sky channel 0151 & after KB at 12 noon I switch over. Just listening to Simon Mayo's drivetime with Confessions & the "its later than you think" intro. Bliss.
  • Options
    You should see the figures for regional BBC radio, it's been dying a a very slow death for the past decade or so. The commissioners have no idea what to do with it. They axed hundreds of regional jobs across the England last year, so I'm not surprised by this huge slump. Radio 4 is the money pit, they spend exactly twice the licence fee on R4 as they do R1 and R2 combined to achieve less than half the listenership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Time for an Abraham Simpson "joke about being old" meme. 
  • Options
    Trying out greatest hits radio, liking the first 2 songs already, thank you!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    not too many MPs or Lords will listen toR1, and they control the money.
  • Options
    Always liked Ken - he's got a great face for radio! Thing is they need a refresh every 20/30 years or so as their audience gets older and dies. It's the circle of life,
  • Options
    Vernon Kay will replace presenter Ken Bruce on his weekday mid-morning slot on Radio 2, the BBC has confirmed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64755872
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    not too many MPs or Lords will listen toR1, and they control the money.
    I'm not sure that's how it works...
  • Options
    clive said:
    Vernon Kay will replace presenter Ken Bruce on his weekday mid-morning slot on Radio 2, the BBC has confirmed.
    Yet another celeb/personality taking the place of a proper radio jock. 

Radio 2 has really gone downhill. I only now listen to it for Ken & then turn over to Greatest Hits. Loving the Simon Mayo drivetime show - its like its never gone away. Pesky ads don't help but anything is better than what Radio 2 are now offering. 
  • Options
    I don't mind Vernon Kay, was worried Lisa Tarbuck would get the gig. 
  • Options
    Quite like Vernon Kay and have enjoyed his shows when he's stood in for others. Pleased it's not Lisa Tarbuck or Gary Davies
  • Options
    Vernon is a very good replacement. Glad it's not Gary Davies who I just find incredibly boring. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When was in my teens and listened to Radio 1, l always thought R2 was for the over-90s.
    Surprised to read that the intended age group is 30-40.
    Needs to be brought up to date with wall to wall gangster rap and a fewer grandads presenting 
  • Options
    Like Tim Westwood, oh no he's 65 now.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Yet another celeb/personality taking the place of a proper radio jock. 

Radio 2 has really gone downhill. I only now listen to it for Ken & then turn over to Greatest Hits. Loving the Simon Mayo drivetime show - its like its never gone away. Pesky ads don't help but anything is better than what Radio 2 are now offering. 
    You don’t actually think Ken Bruce is a proper radio Disc Jockey do you ? What year do you think he ( or any radio 2 presenters ) last played a record or a CD or even anything digitally? 
    That’s what they have producers for and have done many years . They are are just there to talk . 
  • Options
    Strange decision by the BEEB to ask Ken to leave at the end of this coming week? He was due to leave at the end of March....sour grapes from the BEEB maybe in play here?
  • Options
    I wonder if Ken will blockade the door at midday next Friday & then play the "I am the morning dj at W.O.L.D" song....
  • Options
    When was in my teens and listened to Radio 1, l always thought R2 was for the over-90s.
    Surprised to read that the intended age group is 30-40.
    Needs to be brought up to date with wall to wall gangster rap and a fewer grandads presenting 
    In the late 80s/early 90s it was very deliberately aimed at much older listeners but was brought down a bit when Radio 1 went through its big changes in the mid-90s. It's now supposed to be 35 plus. 

I'm not a Radio 2 listener but I always find it really interesting when radio stations go through these shifts to adapt to younger audiences. I listen to 6 Music and that had a bit of a shift a couple of years back; I'm awaiting for the inevitable outcry when Radcliffe and Macone get the shove from weekends at some point. Obviously Ken Bruce knew it wasn't going to last for ever and fancied one big pay day - good luck to him, 

People who like the older-style listening might like Boom Radio, which is filling a hole in the market for over-55s and doing very well with DJs from the 70s and 80s (some of whom are now in their 70s and 80s). Sounds a bit like Capital in the days of 194 car stickers and all that. 

• Options
    Friend/neighbour Anna was on the pop master quiz, unfortunately she got some really tough questions and only got 3 points.
  • Options
    Friend/neighbour Anna was on the pop master quiz, unfortunately she got some really tough questions and only got 3 points.
    The new quiz replacing Popmaster is an absolute dog's dinner. Awful. 
  • Options
    Boom Light is even better Boom sister station.They play 40s and 50s and standerds.But its only online.