Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Palarse youth policy

last night Palarse had at least two of their 18yr olds on the pitch, one of whom was one of their best players, I believe that over the past year they have also had to sell a couple of these young players.
On the other hand our young players do not make the first team until later, like Solly, so if we have so many good youngsters why don't we bring them on earlier like our neighbours seem to do, instead of paying out money for the likes of Wilson & Button?

Comments

• Options

last night Palarse had at least two of their 18yr olds on the pitch, one of whom was one of their best players, I believe that over the past year they have also had to sell a couple of these young players.
    On the other hand our young players do not make the first team until later, like Solly, so if we have so many good youngsters why don't we bring them on earlier like our neighbours seem to do, instead of paying out money for the likes of Wilson & Button?

so who would you have started/dropped ?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm not suggesting that last night's team should have been filled with youth but just wonder why our club are so loath to bring on the younger players when Palarse do it to such good effect.

• Options

shine166 said:

I'm not suggesting that last night's team should have been filled with youth but just wonder why our club are so loath to bring on the younger players when Palarse do it to such good effect.

Well jonjo and jenkinson may still be here if we hadnt been going bust and playing 3rd tier football, that kinda fills that void
  • Options

shine166 said:

Because Zaha is by far more talented than probably any of our recent midfield/striker youth products since Shelvey, who we had to sell pretty much to keep heads above the water? No point playing kids just because they are there.
  • Options
    Cousins and Harriott are our equivalent, Harriott hasnt progressed as much as we would have hoped and Cousins has had Solly infront of him
  • Options
    No one seems to be stepping up to the plate at the moment? Powell is very loathe to change up the team since we have been doing so well, however he may have to have a re-think now we have lost two on the trot- surely he has to mix it up? Jordan Cook may not be from the youth team but he's an exciting young player and i was disappointed he wasn't in the team at all last night- why Smith was on the bench i've not a clue
  • Options
    Zaha won't be at palace much longer with performances like that
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Quite. Easily the most effectively talented player I've seen against us in a league game for several years. 19. Terrifying.

I'm not at all up on our youth team, but I am not aware that currently we have anyone remotely as good as Zaha in the ranks.

• Options

Said the same in another thread, will have England caps in the next 2 or 3 years
  • Options
    Poor old Solly. People were getting the nooses ready when West Ham were knocking, but one bit of running from Zaha and we haven't produced any young talent in years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was very surprised that he wasn't bought by someone during the summer, as he clearly showed his ability last season (especially in their League Cup run)
  • Options
    We probably just don't have any 18 year olds who are good enough.....yet. Nothing unusual in that. I had the misfortune to see Scott Wagstaff's debut and it was possibly the most embarrassingly poor performance I have ever seen by a Charlton player but he came through to become a semi-regular first teamer.

Historically Charlton have given opportunities to good youngsters and I like to think if a player is good enough he will get his chance whether ged 16 or early twenties.
  • Options
    Of our promising youngsters, Azeez is 18, Piggot will be 18 in Nov, and Poyet & Sho Silva are both 17. I satated on a different thread (and slightly tongue in check) that you wont see them in the 1st team for another 10 yrs, after buying them back from MK Dons ala Green & Wilson !! These players gave Man U's talented youngsters a good run for their money in the FA Youth Cup last year and really should be playing in Cup games or on the bench.............I believe I heard that Zaha has played 100 games for Palace.
  • Options
    To get in the first team aged 16-18 a player has to be exceptional.

We probably haven't got any exceptional players in that age group.

We probably have some good ones but they may be ready when the're slightly older.

Then again none of them may end up being good enough.

It's up to the management team to make those decsions, some they get right, some they get wrong.
  • Options
    First time I've seen solly look vaguely uncomfortable was against zaha, quality player. But to say we haven't produced as much as palace is hogwash, jenkinson, Shelvey and solly to name a few. Also Elliot is playing premier league now
  • Options
    Elliot must be about 25 now
  • Options

First time I've seen solly look vaguely uncomfortable was against zaha, quality player. But to say we haven't produced as much as palace is hogwash, jenkinson, Shelvey and solly to name a few. Also Elliot is playing premier league now

Elliot is not exactlynplaying Prem.........
  • Options
    I wasn't that impressed with Zaha. All the tricks in the World, but it didn't seem to get him anywhere - reminded me of the kid at school who was so much better than everyone else and tried to do it all on his own.
  • Options
    There were a few maneuovers Zaha pulled off that left my mind a little fecked. His foot work suggested he was going one way and then he popped up in an another direction and I had to re-adjust to figure out what he had just done. Must have been a nightmare to defend against. Having said that I was watching on a moody stream: it could have been partly down to the pixellation and buffering!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Addickted said:

I wasn't that impressed with Zaha. All the tricks in the World, but it didn't seem to get him anywhere - reminded me of the kid at school who was so much better than everyone else and tried to do it all on his own.

Wiggins is apparently one of the quickest players at the club and zaha destroyed him for pace. He could also hold his own in terms of strength. The guys still very young, but has all the tools to be a top player.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Your Joking right?

He was stand out quality, hardly put a foot wrong. The biggest stand out difference between the two sides

We had a winger on the bench, he came on way too late, 20 secs in and he got more crosses in the box than we had all game.

• Options
    Going by Twitter it seems young Ade Azeez has been given his first call up to England Under 19s. Great news for him!
  • Options
    Just been out running and jogged past their training ground and (as they do most days and nights) have loads of youngsters training on technique with coaches who are a light years away from what went for football coaching when I was that age...it does look impressive. I'm sure we must do the same but it scares me how many youngsters they get through their doors and whatever you think of the club/ supporters they seem to be doing it right at academy level (as we are too of course)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Nolly knew.