Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Second Favourite City

Comments

• Saranda - albania. beautiful little city and great surroundings.

for a more football place i would go with some mentioned above...the German cities have got great stadiums and atmospheres.
  • Amazed nobody has mentioned Amsterdam. Was there a couple of weeks ago, 13 lads on a stag do - brilliant.
  • Come and see me in Hastings.
  • Thats it though cafctom Amsterdam is full of stag parties on top of that it's a bit run down and dirty only my opinion but I think it's the most overrated city in Europe
  • Liverpool
  • Budapest, hot, great bars and they have the best looking girls in europe in my opinion
  • Edinburgh - Hearts vs Hibs always a decent atmosphere and both grounds are quite close to the centre which a cracker for a weekend away. Something for everyone in a small area.
  • Been to Easter Road for The Hibs vs Hearts Derby, Cracking atmosphere.
    Newcastle
    Germany
  • Sponsored links:

• san Fransisco
  • Manchester. The birds are gorgeous up there.
  • Sheffield pal, you would meet decent people like me etc.
  • Miami was incredible when i went. Didnt expect to enjoy as much as i did.

I really like Singapore too.

Oslo would be my 2nd city in Europe
  • Dortmund.
    Freiburg if you want something different...
    Hamurg - you have two choices St Pauli and Hamburg.
  • cafctom said:

Amazed nobody has mentioned Amsterdam. Was there a couple of weeks ago, 13 lads on a stag do - brilliant.

I was in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago too, me and the missus love the place. Always a great city for a few days.
    UK wise, Leeds is a good night.
  • Georgetown, Washington DC is a great place...
  • Krakow but you must stay in the old town.
  • Bucharest - best women I've ever seen, good weather, biggest concentration of bars in one place I've ever seen and it's cheap as chips out there and not full if brits on stag and hens.

Aldo recommend Dusseldorf and Barcelona and Amsterdam.
    In UK - Newcastle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gravesend
  • edited September 2012
    I'd say Paris. Love Seville the most but both places I want to keep returning to. Magical to me.

I just love visiting cities though, Madrid and Amsterdam are great. Prague, Krakow, Berlin .... get me on a cheap flight now! Even forgot Boston.
  • I'd say Paris. Love Seville the most but both places I want to keep returning to. Magical to me.

I just love visiting cities though, Madrid and Amsterdam are great. Prague, Krakow, Berlin .... get me on a cheap flight now! Even forgot Boston.
  • I've beeen spending a bit of time in Bordeaux recently and think it's miles better than Paris. Recommend a visit if you've never been (Cheap flights with Easy Jet from Gatwick)
  • Christchurch.
  • Bristol
    Manchester
    Edinburgh
    Brighton
    Hull
  • BFR - can you elaborate more on Dortmund - looks like a great stadium, but what is the actual city like? and is it easy to get to?
  • BFR - can you elaborate more on Dortmund - looks like a great stadium, but what is the actual city like? and is it easy to get to?

It is a great stadium - officially it's called the Westfalenstadion (even more officially it's called the Signal Iduna Park if you want the corporate name) but the locals also refer to it as "Das Opernhaus" and for good reason. You can still stand in some sections and drink beer in full view of the pitch and on a bad day they'll get only get something like 75,000 people. The big matches are those against Bayern Munich and local rivals Schalke - this is known as the Revierderby after a local expression for the Ruhr. I presume they have some rivalty with Fortuna Dusseldorf - but it's been years since they were in the same division.

The city is to be fair good in parts, it has like most German cities a decent Altstadt which was rebuilt to the original street pattern after WWII but it's quite industrial in other respects. If you are going for a weekend perhaps try and tie it in with the Weihnachtsmarkt/Christmas market which runs from mid November to Christmas eve. Although they are a bit kitsch they are bearable for a couple of hours while you get some gluhwein and grub down your neck.

Flights - Easyjet fly from Luton to Dortmund, I've never used Dortmund airport which is a small/regional airport so I can't make any comment on how accessible it is but there will be buses etc into the city. You could fly to the much bigger/better connected Dusseldorf airport and then take the ICE train. From memory there's a direct link from DDF airport to Dortmund and being a Charlton fan any excuse/opportunity to use a train should not be lightly passed up.

• Milan on a sunny but crisp November day.