Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CP backs Stephens to bounce back quickly after Villa move falls through

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Some filed their report a little early lol

Stephens was not involved in this afternoon’s 2-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest after Powell decided not to include him in his squad.
  • Options
    Schoolboy error Ns you need tipex and a biro we scored
  • Options
    It felt a lot more than a 2-0 defeat when I was writing that!
  • Options
    Anyway at this rate villa will be playing in the championship next season.
    He should have been on the bench, and travelled with the team.
  • Options
    Considering the package they offered, CAFC chucked the deal out of the window as soon as it was offered to them, don't believe that we were offered the fees that were being touted about last week, they are far from the truth. We would have just made a profit on him after a year, and the add on's were stupid.
  • Options

Considering the package they offered, CAFC chucked the deal out of the window as soon as it was offered to them, don't believe that we were offered the fees that were being touted about last week, they are far from the truth. We would have just made a profit on him after a year, and the add on's were stupid.

Can believe that the figures quoted in the media were well out but if CAFC rejected the deal as soon as it was offered why didn't DS travel.

CAFC must at least have expected another bid if not a deal to be done to deprive themselves of a first team player in the way they did.

• Options
    Strange one this on Friday it looked like a done deal at £2M with Stephens saying he wanted to leave allegedly, then he is left out on Saturday. I am thinking that if that deal was on the table we should have took it but what is more likely is that the deal was nothing like the reported number and we decided not to sell. The Problme is what do we do with the lad now? If he came out and said he wanted to leave that puts him and CP in a tricky position. From having a potentially £2M assett we may have a player languishing in the reserves.
  • Options
    I suspect the other bid was imminent and then Villa opted for the Crewe player instead. Stephens should see it as a close shave as they clearly didn't rate him highly enough. I know he would have got more money, but he can play well for us this season and potentially get more interest and more money at a better club than Villa! Will be a test of his attitude - should have been begging to play on Staurday - and to be fair we don't know if he was or wasn't.
  • Options
    Didn't Lambert say the ball was in our court re the bid? I expect that the fees being mentioned were nothing near what it actually was. I'm guessing we wanted more money and they weren't willing to up their offer so pulled out, by which point CP had already made the decision not to take Stephens along to Forest
  • Options
    You don't have to be a genius to work out that Lerner as basically ceased funding any major new transfers, they obviously tried to get Stephens on the cheap and got told to piss off by the CAFC board.

My bet would be that Villa offered a very low up front fee with the bulk of the fee payable on appearances and them staying up or finishing in the top half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    We missed him sorely against Forest. We are so light in that area we would of been stupid to let him go without bringing in a replacement, unless we were talking about some serious dosh - Which obviously wasn't the case.
  • Options
    Apperantly Stephens couldn't agree personal terms with Aston Villa, charlton agreed a price with Aston Villa and that is why he was left out of the squad for Saturday
  • Options

Apperantly Stephens couldn't agree personal terms with Aston Villa, charlton agreed a price with Aston Villa and that is why he was left out of the squad for Saturday

I am led to believe that this is incorrect

• Options

Incorrect 100%. Slater has said Charlton didn't agree a fee.
  • Options
    Anyone actually know what was offered?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Anyone actually know what was offered?

600k plus ad on's apparently

• Options
    i heard it was 600k, but also i have heard it was in the region of anywhere between 1 - 1.5 million
    just what i got told
  • Options
    Yeah then they spent 2 mil on a Crewe player...
  • Options
    jakecafc said:

Yeah then they spent 2 mil on a Crewe player...

But how much was upfront and how much was based on appearances and league positions etc?

If they only offered 600K up front then that is taking the piss big time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell has pretty clearly explained why Stephens want involved on Saturday, He thinks it's important to, if possible, know your matchday squad on Friday. He couldn't be sure Stephens was available so left him out.

I know Charlton Life loves a conspiracy theory, but I don't think there's a lot to see here.

Stephens will start vs Palace.
  • Options
    It wasnt even as much as £600K. The rest was based on if Villa got into Europe etc.
  • Options
    Not enough bags of Mr porky pork scratching were offered so I'm told.......................................
  • Options
    Where is Stephens 'getting back' to.? I think he has been poor along with JJ. We don't really know if this is temporary loss of form, fitness or simply cannot step up to this level. The manager will probably already know the answer to this and it will be interesting to see what team he picks for Palace.
  • Options
    Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP
    We've got more on Villa's bid for Dale Stephens last week. Understand that final offer rejected was around £2m. #cafc
  • Options
    He'll be worth a lot more by end of season.
  • Options

He'll be worth a lot more by end of season.

Hope so be seriously doubt that.

• Options
    Fair play to both the club and stephens. If someone knocked on my bosses door and said that they might be interested in giving me a very big pay rise i'd want to speak to them. If my boss stood in my way i'd be a bit frustrated. the amounts were talking about at football level are life changing and that is probably what he would have been expecting. he hasn't gone though and is lcearly one of our better players so will be back in the team next match. if the bid was not enough, then no deal. i'm glad he didn't do one of those 'i don't wan't to play for you again' blackmail tricks with the club, because that could have backfired terribly. i think it was right to leave him out if his head was turned to other things and his squad knew this was ongoing. . if he'd have had a mare against forest, like the rest of the squad, the 'move' would undoubtedly have been cited as the reason why. all done with now, so move on with the season and he can do no better that start in the next game by tearing palace apart and become a legend!
  • Options
    If Cawley is correct major cock up not to have sold him. Never rated him and now Villa signed Westwood they won't be back. People on here defending his performances last year ie injuries and will be better in the championship. I'm still waiting!