Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

life insurance and critical illness

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rizzo said:

I'm sure you'd be overjoyed if someone labelled you as scum because of your job.

It happens. Actually parasite is the more favoured phrase as I work for a firm of accountants and some people don't really want the service but feel they need it.

I can only speak about insurance from my own experience and every company I've dealt with tries to have you over. I've given two examples above but it gets monotonous getting the car insurance renewal showing a massive increase only to ring up and tell them I'm leaving because I can get it cheaper elsewhere. They then, miracle of miracles, undercut my other quote. Why not treat me with respect and give me a proper quote in the first place?

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Rizzo said:

I'm sure you'd be overjoyed if someone labelled you as scum because of your job.

It happens. Actually parasite is the more favoured phrase as I work for a firm of accountants and some people don't really want the service but feel they need it.

I can only speak about insurance from my own experience and every company I've dealt with tries to have you over. I've given two examples above but it gets monotonous getting the car insurance renewal showing a massive increase only to ring up and tell them I'm leaving because I can get it cheaper elsewhere. They then, miracle of miracles, undercut my other quote. Why not treat me with respect and give me a proper quote in the first place?

Because not everyone makes the call and gets the reduction, and for everyone that doesn't make the call the company make enough money to subsidise the costs of those that do.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

LenGlover said:

In my view if they decide a policy is void because of "non obvious" disclosure then they should return all the premiums they have accepted. They should not be able to have it both ways.

The problem with that though is that it is the cheaper option for these shysters and they would reject even more claims unjustifiably!

The real problem with that Len is that everyone could lie about their health and get much lower premiums safe in the knowledge that they will only have to pay the difference if they make a claim. Then everyone's premiums would go up because those that should be paying more are lying about it and getting away with it.

Also those liars would re-broke their policies at regular intervals so that if they were 'caught out' with a claim they would only have to pay the difference on their current policy. If they changed their policy every year, for example, the worst that they would have to pay is twelve months premium deficit. This would result in those liars getting free cover at the expense of those that tell the truth.

I'm sure there is some reason that you are so angry with the industry and I'm not saying that they don't make mistakes, but it's not a million miles away from an adult getting into Charlton with an U11 ticket, getting away with it for years and then getting caught once and paying the £20 upgrade fee.

In my opinion there is no excuse for one failing to remember a health issue, and as I understand it if it is a mistake the companies do deduct the premiums from the pay out.

Either way having a system that allows for cheats to guarantee insurance for well below market prices would encourage significant abuse.
    I do accept that there is a problem with a minority of unscrupulous, devious consumers.

What came first though the chicken or the egg?

I know of people who've claimed on their house insurance when perhaps they shouldn't because they perceive that they are "getting back" money they've been unfairly docked on a motor claim for example.

The upshot is that the honest punter gets shafted both by having his legitimate claims take an inordinate time to be sorted as he is presumed to be a lying toerag and also paying over the odds in premiums.

Something needs to be done to restore trust in the insurance profession and that cuts both ways.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Be happy he didn't call you a Nazi.
  • Options
    Oh dear Len you're doing it again aren't you

There are some dodgy firms out there who won't pay claims promptly or who will look for a way to wriggle out with irrelevant clauses and conditions

There are also those like my firm who probably pay too many claims just to avoid the ridiculous legal bills by the ambulance chasers not to mention all the fraudulent claims that drive up your premium

I would probably refer to those as scum but wouldn't want to offen the genuine hardworking legal people on this forum, maybe you should count to 3 before you refer to all the people in my industry as scum.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    My own grandfather worked for a major London insurance company (the big one beginning with L). He set up his own insurance company which he later sold. He told insurance is basically a 'racket'. He clearly had no faith in the industry that he knew so well.