Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tracey Emin's exhibition at Turner Contemporary Margate

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
We went out for the day today and had a look at the Turner down in Margate where there is currently a exhibition by Tracey Emin.
There are lots of smart intelligent people on this forum and I was wondering if there is anyone on here who can explain to me just why any of what I saw is truly worth such a prestigious display. I generally quite like things being out there, being wild and unconventional, but all I saw today imho was self indulgent hokum and i could see little to no artistic merit in it at all. In fact it seemed like the shallow transitory musings of someone after a night out on the piss.
And the "exhibit" of a mattress on which there was a tree branch, that would not have looked out of place in a skip.
I accept that I may well be an utter philistine but it was also all the nodding heads and quiet pondering round me as though the mattress was something other than an old mattress with a bit of tree on it that got me. The best bit for me in that place was the view of the sea out the window.
So is there anyone out there who appreciates her stuff and has seen this exhibition who can explain why it is art and worthy of being displayed? I honestly would really like to know.
The strange thing is there was another tiny exhibition by someone called Claire Gill in a side shop that I thought was much more interesting, relevant to Margate and more worthy of wider display. But what do I know.
Rant over.

Tough game tomorrow 0-1 to the Addicks ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Emin, along with the Saatchis is nothing but a con artist ... the King Wears no Clothes .. but few people believe it
  • Options

Emin, along with the Saatchis is nothing but a con artist ... the King Wears no Clothes .. but few people believe it

THIS! Hate conceptual art dressed up and traded vigorously among pretentious toffs wanting to make a quick buck with a passion here!!
  • Options

Blimey. That's exactly what I was going to say.

I do believe that's the 2nd time I've agreed with you Lincs :-)
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more -- it's tosh of the first water.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Blimey. That's exactly what I was going to say.

I do believe that's the 2nd time I've agreed with you Lincs :-)
    as Blofeld would say .. 'my dear old thing' .. :-)
  • Options
    Nope - I've seen the Margate exhibition and it did nothing for me. If one of my children had submitted some of that for art GCSE homework I would've been embarrassed.
  • Options
    She's a very clever lady to make these gullible toffs think what she does it art. You have to laugh at their stupidity .
  • Options
    For all the arts, be it art, literature music or film, there will always be one charlatan that hoodwinks the 'critics',Emin being a prime example.

Saw her show at the South Bank - poor.
  • Options
    My bedroom is way more artistic than her effort
  • Options

My bedroom is way more artistic than her effort

Erotic art?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw this about 3 weeks ago and thought exactly the same, good job for the Ronin sculpture otherwise i would have tried to get my donation back out the box.
  • Options
    hate that kind of modern art in general. Most of the time it's just rubbish... literally rubbish. how can a dead fish in a box or an untidy bedroom be considered art I just don't know
  • Options
    I reckon that before anyone can call themselves an artist, they should have to demonstrate that they can knock up a decent picture of dogs dressed up as something -- both drawing and colouring in, mind.
  • Options
    We've got all sorts of random shite all over the place here in Folkestone since she started the triennial.
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only one then! :-)
    I thought it was unbelievable what i saw in that gallery today. To me, it was trite, ill conceived, and utterly feeble.
    It felt like she was mocking everyone in the place.

• Options
    The woman is nothing more than a scab
  • Options
    Don't blame Emin blame the art critics that have to make a superstar every so often to perpetuate the money go round that keeps the galleries and art industry in general in champagne and tofu. Emin is just one in a long line of art luminaries with no more or less talent than millions of other artists.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Don't blame Emin blame the art critics that have to make a superstar every so often to perpetuate the money go round that keeps the galleries and art industry in general in champagne and tofu. Emin is just one in a long line of art luminaries with no more or less talent than millions of other artists.

Google 'William Boyd' (no relation to the P'Boro wunderkind) ---- read his story about his 'fake' artist .. (He's also a master novelist)
  • Options
    You see, it's all about debate. Making people question what actually is art.
    Some may argue that by starting this thread, you have created debate on the subject, which is art itself.

Personally, I think it's a load of crap.
  • Options
    ^^^ like if a tree falls in a forest and no-one is about to hear it .. does the tree falling make a sound .. over to you Jean Paul Sartre
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I haven't been back to the Turner Contemporary since last year and made up my mind then, that I wouldn't ever visit it again. I thought it was a lovely building but had very little in it that was worth looking at. Like you 3blokes, I thought the art in some of the shops near the gallery was far more interesting.
  • Options
    Its just the same old scribbled self portrait of her lying down with her legs open again and again plus some teenage tosh about "nobody loves me" scrawled on torn paper. The most impressive thing was noticing that some of the larger pieces are actually embroidered which at least shows that bit of craft has gone into the work but she employs others to do the actual stitching!
  • Options
    Attention seeking, over rated, over paid, over weight old bag. The day she stops bleating about the abuse she supposedly suffered as a child won't be a day too soon. Plenty of kids have abusive childhoods, think yourself lucky you have the money and fame to help you cope with it a lot better than most are able to. Appalling apology for a woman.
  • Options
    Cannot stand her as a person, cannot stand what she does. Complete load of old tosh!

Some contemporary art I do "get". But I just cannot believe how she has managed to pull the wool over so many people's eyes for so long.

Love Margate, just hope the Luvvies don't ruin the place. roll on Dreamland resurrection!

• Options
    Went into the Jerwood the other day...free for locals on certain days, some nice stuff in there as well as some rubbish, worth a visit...but then it was free entry for us.
  • Options
    Anyone wanting to buy my latest work of art, just inbox me............................
  • Options
    you need a good agent
  • Options

Attention seeking, over rated, over paid, over weight old bag. The day she stops bleating about the abuse she supposedly suffered as a child won't be a day too soon. Plenty of kids have abusive childhoods, think yourself lucky you have the money and fame to help you cope with it a lot better than most are able to. Appalling apology for a woman.

You are so wrong, she isn't overweight
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I don't dismiss modern art as a genre (if indeed something so diverse can be said to be a genre) as there are some fantastic modern artists out there. But there is something about Tracey Emin that makes me want to dislike her stuff. I remember hearing her answer the question, "Why should your work be considered art?" with the response that it was art because she said it was, a flippant statement, which I'm sure is not really what she thinks. She must be aware that anyone else could also argue with equal validity that it is not art because they say it isn't, but it does suggest that she doesn't care what other people think of what she does. As ever, it's all about personal taste. The conundrum about the tree falling over in the forest isn't as simple as it may seem. Sound is vibrations of the air which only become sound when there is an instrument (ie your ear/brain) to receive and interpret them. So it can be argued quite rationally that a tree falling over does not in fact make a sound unless someone is there to hear it.
  • Options
    Saatchi is an advertising man .. methinks he took on Emin to prove you CAN sell any old fucking rubbish and fool a lot of people all of the time