Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paralympics - Opening Ceremony

On c4 now!

Comments

• Can't even get through the Opening Ceremony without ad breaks. Why give the coverage to Channel 4? Should have been on the BBC. Jon Snow is awful as a presenter.
  • I know, what the hell is with the white suit!
  • Was Danny Boyle behind this opening ceremony too?
  • I know, what the hell is with the white suit!

Because his name's not Jon Brown ?
  • Loving that smiley lady in the wheelchair who had her guide dog with her, people look so happy to be there, can't believe the story of the guy competing who was shot in the head.
  • This is so disrespectful to have breaks during the athletes entry into the stadium.
  • Yep the ad breaks are very annoying as well.
  • Yep the ad breaks are very annoying as well.

And now the commentators are running out of steam. Snow sounds like he'd rather be at a G20 convention. Talking about the countries as 'war-torn' or 'economically-troubled' not seeming to notice there are people representing them
  • can't blame them it's bloody boring the flag carrying
  • No more than the opening ceremony at the olympics but i am sure that if another country went to adverts when Great Britain were about to parade in - there would be uproar, and rightly so - every country deserves their 30 seconds of fame
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2012
    christ almighty... they were just saying that some dutch tennis bird has not lost a tennis match for over 450 games and that is stretching back over a decade... not a bad record i suppose!
  • That is great but the wild card comment was very uncalled for when referring to the guy in Barbados - i bet he could bet the commentators swimming hands down - let's see how slow he is then.
  • edited August 2012
    bloodnut said:

christ almighty... they were just saying that some dutch tennis bird has not lost a tennis match for over 450 games and that is stretching back over a decade... not a bad record i suppose!

Only beaten by Huddersfield Town FC's winning record..........
  • Ad breaks on the coverage of the Olympic opening ceremony as covered by RTE here.
    BBC spoils you. Be thankful for ad free public broadcasters, they are few and far between.
  • edited August 2012
    orbital and stephen hawkings... well i never!
  • I need to go to bed, mind is all over the shop after that
  • iainment said:

Ad breaks on the coverage of the Olympic opening ceremony as covered by RTE here.
    BBC spoils you. Be thankful for ad free public broadcasters, they are few and far between.

Too true, RTE breaks aren't the worst as at least they don't go on too long compared to some of the channels on Sky. I was in New York a few weeks ago and a typical sitcom like Friends will have 3/4 ad breaks. Dunno how people in the states cope with it.

• What i found more disrespectful is the cameras kept on going outside to talk to people outside the stadium not giving coverage to those countries entering the stadium such as zimbabwe. Why the total lack of respect for other nations, the paralympics is meant to represent equality. Not impressed. Also they get silver torches olypics get gold, they get 3 channels olympics get 12. Not very equal.
  • Ad break on China's entrance was 'well timed'
  • What i found more disrespectful is the cameras kept on going outside to talk to people outside the stadium not giving coverage to those countries entering the stadium such as zimbabwe. Why the total lack of respect for other nations, the paralympics is meant to represent equality. Not impressed. Also they get silver torches olypics get gold, they get 3 channels olympics get 12. Not very equal.

Also the running with the Paralympic torch was done throughout the night , which I thought was a bit odd.
  • Sponsored links:

• So many things to get upset about. It's not worth it.
  • Thought the ceremony on the whole was great. I loved the athletes flying to the centre of the stadium, the guy dancing to Birdy and thought Beverley Knight was sensational (even though they tried to turn the song she sang, which was meant as a celebration, into a dirge!). Having Stephen Hawking there was a bold idea that really worked. I just wish that if the Queen is going to turn up at these events (as she should and not just because she has to open them) she'd try to look a bit more effing interested.
  • Snow was a terrible choice as presenter - he is a newsreader. He didn't have the basic knowledge or enthusiasm and all he knew was about wars and economic performance!!! Somebody cocked up big time in C$ when the selected him.

Agree about the Queen, looked like somebody had given her a sweet full of ear wax to chew!
  • Thought the opening ceremony was great......but spoilt by C4's ad breaks.....very rude and for once cant one commercial broadcaster refrain from breaks during a major event!!! Jon Snow was poor, and then Claire Balding who was all over BBC Olympic coverage has now turned up on 4......WHY for god sake shes not that good!!! Beverley Knight was sensational.....and another great pyrotechnic display ate the end......well done London yet again!!!
  • Snow was a terrible choice as presenter - he is a newsreader. He didn't have the basic knowledge or enthusiasm and all he knew was about wars and economic performance!!! Somebody cocked up big time in C$ when the selected him.

Someone on twitter put:

Brendan Miller ‏@Brendan__Miller
    I wish Jon Snow could do football... "There's Fabregas. He's from Spain. They've got 48% unemployment for under 25s..." #snowcommentary
  • Thought the opening ceremony was great......but spoilt by C4's ad breaks.....very rude and for once cant one commercial broadcaster refrain from breaks during a major event!!! Jon Snow was poor, and then Claire Balding who was all over BBC Olympic coverage has now turned up on 4......WHY for god sake shes not that good!!! Beverley Knight was sensational.....and another great pyrotechnic display ate the end......well done London yet again!!!

Claire Balding has just signed a contract with C4. She is taking over the racing from John Mcrewick (sp).
  • thought the start was okay if not great, turned over when the A-Z flag carrying started - I know it's all about the athletes but it is boring to watch on TV for an hour or so. Sounds like I missed the best part which cam after the flags.
  • Was I the only one who thought Stephen Hawking sounded a bit nervous ?
  • MrOneLung said:

Was I the only one who thought Stephen Hawking sounded a bit nervous ?

Can't believe he didn't do "Fitter Happier"

• eldavide said:

MrOneLung said:

Was I the only one who thought Stephen Hawking sounded a bit nervous ?

Can't believe he didn't do "Fitter Happier"

very good