Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Possible West Ham points deduction:

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Just seen this on the BBC website:

Possible West Ham points deduction

I know someone brought this up a few weeks ago but there seems to be some strength to this now...

Comments

• Options
    It's a Wigan points deduction that we need!
  • Options
    If I was a cynic I'd day that the deduction will now be made as West Ham look as good as down so the points deduction won't hurt them. If they had been were Wigan are the PL would have waited till nest season. Good job I'm not a cynic.
  • Options
    This would actually be bad for us, we need WHU to get some reignited faith, so they can take some points of City/Wigan, I don't see them as a threat at all so we need them to do us favours.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If I was a cynic I'd day that the deduction will now be made as West Ham look as good as down so the points deduction won't hurt them. If they had been were Wigan are the PL would have waited till nest season. Good job I'm not a cynic.

It's Cynic Athletic here at the moment as I was thinking just them same.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]This would actually be bad for us, we need WHU to get some reignited faith, so they can take some points of City/Wigan, I don't see them as a threat at all so we need them to do us favours.

Very true!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stanmoreaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]This would actually be bad for us, we need WHU to get some reignited faith, so they can take some points of City/Wigan, I don't see them as a threat at all so we need them to do us favours.

Very true!

Absolutely right. This whole thing is a mess with the potential to get messier.
  • Options
    This link sets the position out pretty well. It explains how Liverpool don't have a problem with Mascherano but why West Ham do.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/west_ham/article1464410.ece
  • Options
    from that article.

How will Eggert Magnússon, the new West Ham chairman, plead?

Not guilty. The Icelander will state that the transfers of Tévez and Mascherano were completed when Terence Brown was chairman and Paul Aldridge managing director. Magnússon was only a potential purchaser and had yet to conclude the £85 million takeover, which he did in December. He will argue that he and the present board should not be punished for any mistakes of another regime.

a pretty poor defence in my opinion.
    hasn't terence brown only just stepped down from the board last week?
    seems to me like they are trying to dust fingerprints off the weapon after it has been tested.
  • Options
    Another interesting point is how people are trying to liken the possible defence of this charge to the extra payments Spurs made to their players just before Alan Sugar took over. Sugar could quite rightly say "Not guilty, guv - it happened before I arrived" and get away with it because it didn't have a material effect on the way the spuds played in competitive matches. Ok, so the players may have been a little more "up for it", but it was still the same bunch of players with the same skills.

West Ham, however, have had "illegal" help in gaining the points they have and, therefore, prize money etc. also - something which Magnusson will benefit from.

Does this make sense to anyone else?