Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell was at Stevenage v Southampton

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Anyone's guess who he was watching. He may have just been taking in a game. Southampton had some decent players currently not in their PL team, like Puncheon, Chaplow, Richardson, and also some young players who he might have been looking at for loans. Stevenage have some decent players still, in Freeman and Roberts.

Comments

• I was sitting there hoping it was Puncheon. We could do with a natural left winger. He's dangerous at Championship level.
  • Wouldn't mind puncheon, probably just watching a game though
  • Puncheon is first team so can't see that

Seabiscuit ... Sorry Seabourne maybe ?

The plot thickens .....
  • Could easily be simply watching a game. I hope not Seaborne! Puncheon was only on the bench against Wigan for Soton on Saturday.
  • If you get to see puncheons goal tonight

Jesus what a strike
  • I missed the last 3 goals of the game because I anticipated he'd leave early and wanted to say hello in the car park!!
  • He's looking for a fourth choice keeper
  • Splodge said:

I missed the last 3 goals of the game because I anticipated he'd leave early and wanted to say hello in the car park!!

Did your club give you permission to talk to Powell ?
    Tapping up !!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Apparently Lawrie Wilson was there too. I didn't see him but the Stevenage fans were singing his songs and asking for him to give them a wave.
  • Splodge said:

I missed the last 3 goals of the game because I anticipated he'd leave early and wanted to say hello in the car park!!

Did your club give you permission to talk to Powell ?
    Tapping up !!!!

If only...!!
  • Richardson as an alternative RB maybe?
  • Richardson as an alternative RB maybe?

Another player sold from under the manager, when we needed the cash.

What did we get, £400,000 ?

• Maybe we're signing Ricky Lambert.
  • Or Ricky Butcher.
  • edited August 2012
    If we did lose Solly, I'd love Richardson back. Can't see they'd want to sell their second choice right back though. I said to Chris Powell that I hope we keep Chris Solly, and he said enthusiastically "Of course we will!".

Now obviously you can't read anything at all into that. He's not going to tell me anything either way. He may not have the final say himself, as there must be a figure the club would have to accept, but it sounded positive so I drove home reassured for now at least! I'll be happier still if he's in the team at Forest on Saturday!!
  • edited August 2012
    Splodge said:

If we did lose Solly, I'd love Richardson back. Can't see they'd want to sell their second choice right back though. I said to Chris Powell that I hope we keep Chris Solly, and he said enthusiastically "Of course we will!".

Now obviously you can't read anything at all into that. He's not going to tell me anything either way. He may not have the final say himself, as there must be a figure the club would have to accept, but it sounded positive so I drove home reassured for now at least! I'll be happier still if he's in the team at Forest on Saturday!!

He wouldn't say if he was going ;)
  • It would be a midfielder if anyone.
  • Tonight, in the car park. I asked him if he'd heard them talking about Solly on Talk Sport, and he said he hadn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Splodge said:

He wouldn't say if he was going ;)
    Exactly
  • Splodge said:

I was sitting there hoping it was Puncheon. We could do with a natural left winger. He's dangerous at Championship level.

Probably better than what we have but Kerkar is a left winger and although he's right footed it's possibly Cook's best position. One of the last positions we need.
  • Durham

Stated solly was going and that we had signed his replacement in wilson

I take what powelly said as positive
  • Scoham said:

Splodge said:

I was sitting there hoping it was Puncheon. We could do with a natural left winger. He's dangerous at Championship level.

Probably better than what we have but Kerkar is a left winger and although he's right footed it's possibly Cook's best position. One of the last positions we need.
    True. We have options there, if not a stand out performer at present. (Bit harsh on JJ but not really his position). Puncheon would improve the first XI, but if we were to sign anyone I'd want a central midfielder.
  • Durham

Stated solly was going and that we had signed his replacement in wilson

I take what powelly said as positive

He said it in a positive way. He didn't need to be that enthusiastic with how he said it to me. So hopefully that means he's expecting him to still be here on Sept 1st. Of course, his view would probably count for nothing if someone came in with £4m.

Whilst Durham put 2+2 together with Wilson, Powell did say when he signed Wilson that he wanted two players for each position.
  • I genuinely believe Powell signed Wilson expecting Solly to leave. I think thats the only explanation for the fee. I think Wilson was close to joining Peterborough so Powell jumped in then. Otherwise, when Solly left he would have to turn his attention to another right-back. I think he saw Wilson as the replacement but bought him early so that he was guaranteed him if/when Solly left. Just my feeling. If he really rates Wilson, then he will feel he only has to sign a back up right back when Solly goes.
    He wants 2 rb's but a cover one will be easier to find at this late stage.
  • As the Chinese proverb goes, "Those who know don't talk, those who talk don't know."
  • Andy Hughes can play at right back can't he? So if Solly does go Wilson at rb with Hughes as back up/utility man?
  • AlexC said:

Andy Hughes can play at right back can't he? So if Solly does go Wilson at rb with Hughes as back up/utility man?

Hughes is out for about 6 months though

• Of course, with someone like Puncheon a lot depends on what Southampton are doing. They are looking to sign 3-4 players, including wingers having been looking at Gaston Ramirez. Against Wigan, their 4-4-2 had Guly, Davis, Schneiderlin and Lallana in midfield with Rodriguez and Lambert up front, so if he's not in their current XI and they buy someone else, that might open up the chances of Puncheon leaving. I'd love a season long loan if we can't afford his fee/wages. Similar situation for Chaplow and Hammond, and Sharp. They signed another striker yesterday so Sharp may be 4th choice now.