Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Touch of Cloth and Airplane

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anybody watch either of these over the last two nights?
I thought Cloth was really good in places, original and knowing. But I did think it was a little bit the case of putting every joke in, whether it was funny or not.
As for Airplane, had not seen it for a good few years, some of that made me laugh out loud - that autopilot's smile still cracked me up - think it has stood the test of time very well. So many good lines in it. Loved the parting shot from the Zipper - " not sure where I'll be then doc...but I won't smell too good that's for sure.." :-)

Comments

• Options
    Thought Touch of cloth was awful.

The few jokes were telegraphed and every joke had to be repeated just in case you didn't get it

Gave up after 15 minutes
  • Options

The few jokes were telegraphed and every joke had to be repeated just in case you didn't get it

Gave up after 15 minutes

Agree
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Gave up after 15 minutes

Agree
    I saw the trailer & that was enough for me :-)
  • Options
    I've seen several new comedies recently and they've all been poor. I though A Touch of Cloth was by no means the worst, but that's not saying much.
  • Options
    Ah Airplane!

My favourite film of all time. Have very happy memories of me cuddling up to my Grandad when I was about 8 years old and watching it with him and we were both crying with laughter all the way through it. No matter how many times we watched it, the more we laughed and as I got older, the more jokes/comments you pick up each time.

Even when I watched it this weekend for the first time in about 5 years, I noticed a few more jokes that I'd never picked up before.

"You'd better tell the Captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital."
    "A hospital? What is it?"
    "It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now."

• Options
    i thought touch of cloth was v good. very funny parts. stolen style of comedy from naked gun an airplane but i thought it was good
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    "its a different plane altogether" line is one of the funniest ever written imo
  • Options
    I thought Touch of Cloth was excellent. Only seen the 1st bit though - not sure if the 2nd was on last night but we sky plussed it. Can't wait to see it.
  • Options
    Thoroughly silly and most enjoyable, that applies to both. Touch owed a lot to Police Squad, which was the TV series on which Naked Gun was based.
  • Options
    Police Squad is one of the greatest comedies ever written, the episode with the shooting of the teller is just comedy perfection. Why do TV stations consistently repeat the same old shows over and over (I think every person in the UK has now seen each and every episode of Only Fools about 6 times), when there are so many shows that never get repeated?

I want repeats of:

Desmond's
    Joking Apart
    Police Squad
    Neverwhere
    The High Life
    Up Pompei (was repeated a few years back, but still want to see it again)

And I know variety is out of fashion, but there are reasonably often repeats of Morcombe and Wise, but none of the 80s shows, would be interesting to see how well/badly the Brian Conelly stuff has aged.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed Andy. Sledgehammer and Chance in a Million immediately spring to mind. And sketch shows such as Alfresco, Absolutely and Big Train.
  • Options
    Sledgehammer was great :)
  • Options
    I watched 10 minutes of touch of cloth and had to turn it off. How to murder comedy .
  • Options
    Give it ten minutes before you give up possibly Beds? ;-)
  • Options

Give it ten minutes before you give up possibly Beds? ;-)

No . If after 10 minutes I haven't laughted once it's failed . :)
  • Options
    I thought it was very clever and funny, once you had adjusted to the concept behind it.
  • Options
    It's was O.K. but doesn't compared to Police Squad and the genius of Leslie Nielsen. It certainly required more than 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Watched all of cloth and thought it both boring and obvious. The key to good comedy I believe is that you have to feel some sort of emotion towards the main characters . Didn't care about any of them.
  • Options
    Found touch of cloth abysmal ... gave up after 15 minutes ...maybe I missed the best of it
  • Options
    The cat leaping out of the dead body obvious?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One surprise in an ocean of turgid dross.
    IMO.
  • Options

The cat leaping out of the dead body obvious?

Not if you know your Nick Lowe songs or have read Hollywood Babylon.

Calling the local rough estate the Rundowne Estate was mildly funny but they had to keep going back to say it again.

The detective at the murder scene about to vomit and then turning over the picture of Piers Morgan. Not that funny first time but then they did it again 20 seconds later.

• Options
    Andy Hamilton's new sitcom, 'Just Around the Corner' was pretty good the other night.
  • Options
    I touched cloth in an aeroplane over the weekend.

Dropped 10,000 feet in about 30 seconds...........
  • Options
    An Airplane thread? Surely you can't be serious?!!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I do wonder sometimes what people want from comedy? I want to laugh. I laughed at Touch of Cloth a number of times, more than I usually do at modern comedies. Why try and analyse so deeply? We all have different senses of humour. I didn't find many popular comedies funny, for example- Fraser, Cheers, Bread, Butterflies, Friends, Watching, Green, Green, Grass;
    Sure some of the jokes were obvious and repeated but so what? Not a crime. Funnily enough half way through I said to my wife "this is Airplane humour".
  • Options
    Thought it was brilliant... "Datyute Center" had me in tears
  • Options

I am serious and stop calling me Shirley!
  • Options
    So many little things in Airplane even the way the African chief flattens Striker is great:-) They must have had a great laugh making that film especially the ones like Neilsen and Bridges who played those sort of characters straight in other films. I also think "Elaine" plays it straight really well too, suitably dreamy and dopey as she says lines like " I remember how I used to sit on your face and wriggle." :-)

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

I am serious and stop calling me Shirley!
    Brilliant line!