Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Team crying out for out and out wingers!!

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
On other theads wagstaff and green are bringing a good discusion and we are very narrow with jackson and pritchard starting games! That brings my point out that we are in this league crying out for proper charlton wingers ie in past we have had paul mortimer robert lee, keith peacock ,colin powell,johnny robinson, mark robson, (dare I say it) rommedahl or sam, and many more so what pair of former addicks wingers would you play in this team or within reason what wingers would you sign for this team!? Have fun :)

Comments

• When I first started watching Charlton KP....not Kevin Pieterson, played on the left wing, we used to stand on the East Terrace, near the front between the 1/2 way line and the away end (now Jimmy Seed), happy memmories watching the Addicks with my dad, uncle, cousins, aunt and a few mates, getting the old thermus flask out at half time...topping the coffee up with my dads hip flask...usually with wisky...sometimes rum....... oh and not to be forgotten....peeeeeeeenuts....happy days.
  • edited August 2012
    Funny that many on that list were never out and out wingers ie Lee and Mortimer and others were often slated when they played ie Sam, Dennis, Robinson (when he first came) and Robson.

I think that Graham Stuart was very effective on the flanks but he was never an out and out winger for us.

Not going to re-start the Greenstaff debate but Haynes can be an effective wide player but playing with an out and out winger can leave you exposed.

Many top teams such as Chelsea and Man City play now with two holding CM and then three attacking players (including a winger or two) behind a loan striker.

Powell was trying a variation of this in pre-season (4-3- 3 but I think the injuries to Haynes and Wagstaff and the desire to play both Yann and BWP has taken him back to 4 -4-2.

• Rommedahl was a fantastic winger IMO.

But useless for us, as AC didn't play wingers...............................going by the 3 games so far, neither does CP
  • Rommedahl was a fantastic winger please tell me you are taking the mick. Complete waste of money. Remember one game in particular away to Reading in the prem. The worst display I have ever seen by a Charlton player.
    Then he is magic for Denmark.
  • The reason we aren't playing wingers at the moment, is so we don't get over run in the middle of the park.

Brum played 442, we matched them at 442 and we coped fairly well.

Leicester was the same, flat 442 for both teams. Their movement and passing caused us problems, but they're a decent side. No shame in that.

Hull played 532/352 wing back system, which meant they were going to have 3 central midfielders against Hollands and Stephens. They would have had a field day, which is why we were playing narrower with Pritch tucking in, and JJ sitting at the top of a diamond.

I can see SCP reverting back to a 442 with Green/Waggy against the "lesser" teams. JJ doesn't have the pace to play as an out and out winger, which is why he will be playing a lot narrower this year.

Alternatively he will play BWP/Kerm and one other (green, waggy, Haynes, cook) in a 433/451. With Hollands/Stephens/JJ holding the middle.

SCP knows what he is doing, and knows that we had to adjust otherwise we would have been too predictable!
    Coyr!
  • I think SCP is very much out of the Curbs mould. AC liked to keep things narrow more than not.
  • edited August 2012
    uie2 said:

On other theads wagstaff and green are bringing a good discusion and we are very narrow with jackson and pritchard starting games! That brings my point out that we are in this league crying out for proper charlton wingers ie in past we have had paul mortimer robert lee, keith peacock ,colin powell,johnny robinson, mark robson, (dare I say it) rommedahl or sam, and many more so what pair of former addicks wingers would you play in this team or within reason what wingers would you sign for this team!? Have fun :)

I couldn't disagree more. One of the reasons we have struggled for 7 odd years, is because we have played ineffective light weight wingers, that do not contribute enough to the team effort on a regular basis.

Rommedahl, Thomas, Ambrose ,Sam, Green, Wagstaff etc etc. They all have their merits, but don't contribute as much as Stuart & now Pritchard.

No powder puff light weight wingers please. Let's have 11 men pulling their weight every game.
  • Peeps im not having a go at chrissy tactics i love ours players playing as a team and getting stuck in! Powell does know what is doing I fully agree! He will be as great as curbs! Maybe was thinking out and out wingers are not used as much now Robson was very light weight so to rommedahl! :)
  • edited August 2012
    eug72 said:

Rommedahl was a fantastic winger please tell me you are taking the mick. Complete waste of money. Remember one game in particular away to Reading in the prem. The worst display I have ever seen by a Charlton player.

Then he is magic for Denmark.

And why is he magic for Denmark?
    Because he is not played as a winger.

He's given a relatively free role to exploit space and then use his pace.
    Almost impossible for defenders to mark or pick up without being drawn out of position.

Curbs tried to mould him into a wide midfielder with defensive duties, often in a rigid 4-4-2.

If he was going to play Rommerdahl, Curbs needed to use him effectively like Denmark do, and set the team up around him.

Players need to be able to play to their strengths - not try to convert them into something they are not.

• In tight games it's players like Ambrose, Thomas and Rommedahl who come up with a bit of magic and win it for you. I can think of one in particular...

• Sponsored links:

• palace away 2004?

• Dennis in the Last Minute
  • Absolutely, once in 7 years !

Seriously, many wingers tend to play well, 1 in 5 games, the other 4 games they are a liability.
  • Look at Man City, rarely played with wingers last season. Yaya Toure and Barry in midfield, Silva and Nasri out wide but tucking in all the time. Not so much of a problem if you have attacking full backs which we do.
  • _nam11 said:

The reason we aren't playing wingers at the moment, is so we don't get over run in the middle of the park.

Brum played 442, we matched them at 442 and we coped fairly well.

Leicester was the same, flat 442 for both teams. Their movement and passing caused us problems, but they're a decent side. No shame in that.

Hull played 532/352 wing back system, which meant they were going to have 3 central midfielders against Hollands and Stephens. They would have had a field day, which is why we were playing narrower with Pritch tucking in, and JJ sitting at the top of a diamond.

I can see SCP reverting back to a 442 with Green/Waggy against the "lesser" teams. JJ doesn't have the pace to play as an out and out winger, which is why he will be playing a lot narrower this year.

Alternatively he will play BWP/Kerm and one other (green, waggy, Haynes, cook) in a 433/451. With Hollands/Stephens/JJ holding the middle.

SCP knows what he is doing, and knows that we had to adjust otherwise we would have been too predictable!
    Coyr!

Spot on
  • I don't think we need out and out wingers as long as the players who get wide can deliver good balls into the box JJ and pritch can both do that
  • England won the World Cup in 1966 without wingers.

Dubbed at the time,"Ramsey's wingless wonders."
  • Oggy Red said:

England won the World Cup in 1966 without wingers.

Dubbed at the time,"Ramsey's wingless wonders."

Suprised KFC didn't jump on that slogan !!