Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scott Sinclair to Man City

Set to join on Tuesday for £6.2m

Probably the worst debut I've ever seen from a Charlton player and now he's about to join the Champions. Meanwhile Chelsea are having to shell out £9m to get Moses when they had Sinclair in their youth system.

If there was ever a player that summed up the disastrous management of our club under Pardew it's Sinclair. Clearly a very talented player who immediately looked pub standard when Pardew got his hands on him only to start turning it on again as soon as he left. Definitely one that got away as we probably would have been able to sign him permanently if the loan hadn't been such a clusterf***.

Comments

• Shame to see Moses and Sinclair move on, both good players to watch and they do add a lot of spice to games between mid-table/lower Prem sides when they are playing regularly.

Give it a couple of years before they end up somewhere like Sunderland, Villa etc.

Adam Johnson - prime example, and a brilliant footballer.
  • I would agree with that cafctom. He has the potential to play at Man City's level, but he needs to be allowed to develop a bit further imo, same with Moses. They both need a couple more seasons playing regularly at Premier League level, then they might be ready to step into the first team at a top 4 club. It's hard to see their development doing anything other than stagnating for the next couple of years and you're right, Adam Johnson is another prime example (although there are many).

It's definitely one of the reason the England team struggles to find depth of talent, although it's a safe bet Sinclair will be straight into the next England squad now.
  • Another good example in Shaun Wright-Phillips, his move to Chelsea cost him a big future, so I worry that it'll be a similar situation for Sinclair.
  • I remember Scott's time with us and thought he was an absolute show pony. With no Show. And now? well I think he would be a decent addition in CP's side!
  • He was a poor signing because he was a player with huge potential that was signed at a time when young talented players were given no time by the baying hoards at the valley

In return he played within himself and thought screw you lot I don't have to be here

Great player on his day and will do well where appreciated
  • I was really surprised at how poor he played for us in the 3 games he came on.

I remember absolutely raging when he came on just after we had let in a last minute equalizer at home to Derby, and we hadn't won a game in ages. Seconds to spare to and nick and unlikely winner and he seemed more interested in doing stepovers rather than getting the ball in the box!
  • He was a young lad we were a club in free fall was a bad move and it proved to be so
  • He has gone their for the dough and the glamour of being back at a big club. The problem for him is that he won't get a game.

If you're a player would you rather play in the Prem every week for 15k per week at Swansea or sit on your arse and be a bit part player at City for 50k or more?

If Johnson could not get a game at City then what hope Sinclair?
  • Johnson twice the player Sinclair is. Mancini losing the plot.
  • I think Johnson has proved a little bit of a difficult character to manage. Same could be said about Balotelli and Tevez, I know, but Johnson is not at that level yet and I suspect Mancini feels it'll take too long for him to grow up enough to be useful at Man City.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2012
    Sinclair to city is a strange one. He quite clearly is nowhere near as good as Johnson who left for 4 million more. It makes no sense.
    It smacks of agents doing their evil deads.
    A perfect example is West Ham paying ten million for Jarvis . A player who is average at best and did very little for Wolves .
    Six million for Moses ?!! What's that all about ? Chelsea dont even need him!
    I smell a rat . It must be something to do with the new FIFA rules because these players should never in a million years command these sorts of fees.

• If you're a player would you rather play in the Prem every week for 15k per week at Swansea or sit on your arse and be a bit part player at City for 50k or more?

Option 2

• Moses will be decent signing for Chelsea
  • MattD said:

If you're a player would you rather play in the Prem every week for 15k per week at Swansea or sit on your arse and be a bit part player at City for 50k or more?

Option 2

I'd take Option 1, but a lot of people would take Option 2... and can you blame them?

The Matt Le Tissiers of this world are few and far between.

• Option 1 all day long. Anyone who says option 2 uses the sport we love just to feed their greed.
  • MattD said:

Moses will be decent signing for Chelsea

As a bench warmer.
  • Option 1, you would want the adrenline of
    Playing week in week out
  • Option 1 all day long. Anyone who says option 2 uses the sport we love just to feed their greed.

No, fans think they would all take option 1, but fact is 95% of players take option 2 - it's human nature to a) be tempted by the financial gain and b) believe that you'll be the exception who will break into the big club's first team and stay there.

If not, the 'one club man' would not be a dying breed.

• His missus will be happy. Expect to see plenty of Helen Flanagan falling out of Manchester's clubs very soon.

Can't wait.
  • Johnson only looks good on Match Of The Day. Nice tricks and dribbles but very ill-discipline tactically and often drifts out of big games. Not actually got the best end product either. Most City fans who see him play from the start don't really rate him.

Sinclair meanwhile offers more pace than Johnson, but more importantly has proved at Swansea that he works very well within a system.

I don't think Sinclair is a world class player by any stretch. But I'd have him over Johnson.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have Johnson over Sinclair any day, I think he's a really good player.

I can see why players would take the big money four-year deal at Man City to set themselves up for life but so many players take that option and end up going nowhere career wise.

Look at Wayne Bridge at City, SWP at City/Chelsea and plenty more, if you're not playing every week (or at least 3/4 of the games - including the big games) then you're not going to develop.

Looking at Man City's front four or five there is no way Sinclair is anywhere NEAR that level of player.
  • edited August 2012
    If that kind of pay day at a club like City came along I would take it without second thought.
    So what if your on the bench, always change that after a while if you wanted, as Johnson is doing.

A player like him was never going to set the world alight, they are not world class. Might as well rake in a bit more for there after football life.
  • It's a risk if you turn it down too. These players are only a bad injury, argument with a manager or sudden loss of form/confidence away from dropping off the radar and never getting another shot at the big time.

Easy to say you'd turn it down if you never been offered it.

It'll almost certainly be bad for his playing career though, if not his bank balance. He's a good player though, so he may surprise a few.
  • MattD said:

Option 2

I'll say option one as it'll never happen and this way I can take the moral high ground over any player who takes an option two type scenario.

*but I'd really take option two
  • Lol se9addick

I mean option1 is clearly for someone with no family whatsoever or care for their family whatsoever ....
  • So many people talk about grabbing the money to sit on the bench, surely as Exiled Addick says these players believe they are/will be good enough.
  • Agreed Stu you'd like to think they'd have confidence in their own ability and if they don't get to play there'll always be a sunderland qpr or whoever to move on to afterwards
  • shocked at this move. but if milner gets regular starts then why can't sinclair?
  • I'm with nla. Seemed like the fans got on his back 15 minutes into his debut and never let up. He was never going to come back from that. I don't blame Pardew.

If he had been a Charlton youth player then he would've got a ton of patience from the crowd and things might've turned out differently.
  • MattD said:

Moses will be decent signing for Chelsea

As a bench warmer.
    Yep I'd go along with that

Is he good enough to displace Mata, Hazard and Oscar (when he eventually starts games) ...... Nope

He's the new Sturridge :o)