Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Blog

edited August 2012 in Not Sports Related
Hi.

I'm sure there was a thread that someone else started similar to this a while ago although I couldn't find it. Basically a friend of mine is considering attempting to train to be a sports journalist in the future and decided to start a blog where he will write short articles as often as he can in order to build up a sort of 'portfolio' of writing and I told him that I would post this on here in order to allow him to be able to gauge some king of reaction as to the quality of his writing and whether there is any potential for him to succeed in that industry, so any response at all would be very helful for him moving into the future.

Thanks in advance.

http://fbcafc.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

• Good match report.

For the games I cant attend that would be a worthy read, summed it up well enough and was accuarate and detailed.

I tried to do match reports after a few of the early games last season,

For your friend I say stick with it.
  • I write a blog and I find the hardest thing motivating myself to proof read it to check for grammar and spelling mistakes. Often I don't bother on the basis that I only have a few hundred readers and they, presumably, all know that it is only a hobby for me.

If a blog is going to be used as evidence of one's ability to be a professional writer I would think that proof reading would be crucial.

I would also think that if he intends to demonstrate his ability, in due course, he might want to do a little analysis. There is nothing wrong with pure match reports, but the top journalists all seem to have a 'column' or something that shows their analytical skills.

Other than that I must confess to scanning the blog as I always find reading white text on a background gives me an immediate headache.
  • Thank you both for your feedback. He is still young so has a lot of time to improve so any feedback he can get is really very useful for him and he is really very grateful for you both taking the time to help him.

Thanks.
  • Good report. Punctuation missing. A little bit higgledy piggledy (LOL). But as good as many.
  • cheers, my mate really appreciates all of the comments
  • quite enjoyed it summed it up well and as others said little things like puncuation and sticking on a topic ( like not going between weather and the game and weather etc) will all come the more you write
  • Thanks for all of the comments and ideas here. I wrote the article thing and it is really, really helpful for me to recieve this kind of feedback, so thank you all for taking the time to read and comment on the article/blog.

Thanks again.