Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Speed Of The Championship.

Watching the Leicester game this week , one thing that shocked (apart from the increased technical ability) was the pace of the game , it was frightening , certainly compared to League 1 , and more like a Premiership game , was this a one off , or something we'll have to get used to?

Comments

• Options
    May be not all teams will be as quick as Leicester but a lot of them will be.
    The bit that surprised me was the way Leicester changed thier style so much in the second half. I hope most teams are not so adaptive.
  • Options
    I doubt we'll play many teams this season with as much pace as Leicester had
  • Options
    see now why Powell was trying out different formations in the pre-season. there's something you don't see as much in league one, teams constantly changing shape.
  • Options
    Yes, I noticed it too....but as has been mentioned by several posters, I somehow doubt we'll come across too many teams with that speed of thought and speed of movement this season.
    In some ways there's no denying they were better than us......but we had the grit and determination to come through.
  • Options
    We'll only come up against that sort of style from time to time I think. In an away game we might struggle to nick three points, but that's fine. As long as we do our job against sides of a similar stature to us then I think we will be fine.

Birmingham didn't play with anywhere near the same level of pace, although they did have technically better players on the pitch.

Our defense has been brilliant for the last year and we're going to be calling on those guys more often than not.
  • Options
    personally ...i think the game just got off to a very quick start with both teams trying to impose themselves ...and tempo slowed down a little in 2nd half ...think its too early to generalise ,but was happy to see that we matched leicester for most of the game
  • Options
    I think that the greater intensity of this league and pace will result in us picking up more injuries and yellow cards than last season putting more pressure on the squad as a whole. Sure haynes will have pulled a hammy just watching Tuesday
  • Options
    Some people may have missed the fact but Leicester were the bookie's favourites to win the league. I don't think we can judge the whole division based on them. If so, we could also say theat Championship centre backs are rubbish and teams are not clinical at this level.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh yes, I meant to say.....come the end of the season I've a feeling that when asked who the best oppo we've seen at The Valley this season a lot of us are going to say Leicester.
    Realise there's a hell of a way to go yet but I fancy it may well be the case.
  • Options
    I think we are overlooking some important facts though - a) We won b) They went for it as they had too and we defended because we had something to defend- they didn't look so good in the first half c) Their defence looked vulnerable both to pace and in the air and d) Our final ball and delivery was far superuior to theirs - I accept all that has been said about their physicality, tempo, passing etc... and do believe they will be up there at th eend of the season, but we were better than them defensively and offensively which are key areas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've played one home game in the league and people are saying we won't come up against the likes of Leicester again.

Based on what?

Personally I spent most of the past few years watching us so have no real idea about the strength or attributes of most teams in this division as haven't seen much of them. Highlights on telly don't really count, so why are people so confident that Tuesday was a one off?
  • Options
    We'll play teams as good as Leicester, like Wolves, Middlesborough, Blackpool and Burnley, and we'll have to deal with the intensity again.

The Championship does seem a physically bigger league then it was.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Off_it said:

We've played one home game in the league and people are saying we won't come up against the likes of Leicester again.

Based on what?

Personally I spent most of the past few years watching us so have no real idea about the strength or attributes of most teams in this division as haven't seen much of them. Highlights on telly don't really count, so why are people so confident that Tuesday was a one off?

Speaking for myself I have never said we definately won't come up against many teams as good....only that I think we wont, slight but subtle difference I know.
    It's just a feeling I have that Leicester were a bit 'special' the other night........I wasn't there (sadly) but from what I can gather Birmingham for example weren't anything like as good and they're another bookies favourites for promotion I believe.
    Time will tell I guess.....anyway let 'em all worry about Little Old Charlton....were going to show a few of 'em what's what.

• Options
    They were swift down both flanks. DeLaet and Marshall on the right and Konchesky and Dyer on the left. They were not just quick physically but also mentally. Each free kick and throw in were taken quickly. However, as one of the top teams in the division it may not be typical of what we experience week in week out.
  • Options
    That lad Vardy could shift....what a turn of pace he had!
  • Options
    Well if every other team in the Championship plays with the tempo that Leicester did, then this division has significantly improved since we were last here 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Perhaps some of it is down to getting used to League One standards?
  • Options

Possibly, but back when we were last in this league we were probably a similar sized club to Leicester with similar ambitions but had nowhere near the quality they had on Tuesday night.
  • Options
    Did people seriously not see their weaknesses too?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    cafctom said:

Possibly, but back when we were last in this league we were probably a similar sized club to Leicester with similar ambitions but had nowhere near the quality they had on Tuesday night.
    Not the season we went down, but the year we were top six until the last few games I think we were every bit as good as the Leicester side we saw on Tuesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann must welcome the fact that he was not being kicked up in the air all the time...
    I thought that both pace and quality of the game was far above what we saw last year...
    Maybe half the teams play at this level - let's see tomorrow?
  • Options
    I did watch a bit of championship football last year (yes, on the TV) and thought that the gulf between it and L1 was far greater than (probably most) on here were expecting, and did wonder how we would cope... The game that really made me think we might have a bit of an 'issue' was Burnley vs Portsmouth - the quality was far superior to anything we were watching in L1
  • Options

I did watch a bit of championship football last year (yes, on the TV) and thought that the gulf between it and L1 was far greater than (probably most) on here were expecting, and did wonder how we would cope... The game that really made me think we might have a bit of an 'issue' was Burnley vs Portsmouth - the quality was far superior to anything we were watching in L1

Saying that there were a few games of the championship last year i saw on the box that i thought had no quality in it, it works both ways really.

We will do well this year i predict a top six finish this season, i don't care if i'm being to optimistic for you lot i will come back here and gloat come the end of the season probably ;-)

• Options
    I knew the challenges would be different ones. The big difference on Tuesday was Leicester came to the match with the intention of winning it where as League One teams tried to stop us.

Powell has shrewdly realised that playing wingers from the off is too much of a luxury and made us much more robust in midfield.

I thought we defended well against Leicester, it is true they had a great chance to equlaise in injury time but that was largely thanks to an incredible decision by the ref.

I also thought that we could score from every corner and had the same feeling in League One. Some people said JJ had a poor game but his delivery is excellent as was Stephens' on Tuesday.

If people are trying to say that some of us underestimated the league- well my response is that we could be top tomorrow! Sheff Wednesday could be second!
  • Options
    Muttley's point about wingers is well made. Reminds me also of Curbs' approach in the Premier League
  • Options
    Wasn't so fast yesterday either- but Hull had better defenders. Different teams will pose different challenges this year.