Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Hamer and Dean Kiely

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
There is always something meaningful about who is inbetween the sticks down at Charlton. We have had plenty of goalkeepers since Deano left.

I think Ben hamer, although quite a different kind of keeper, can be the next fans favourite after Deano. He is clearly passionate for Charlton and has shown good improvement as a keeper since he started with us. He has learnt quickly with some of his best performances coming at the end of last season.
I like him, and like Deano he has a good rapport with the fans already.

He is one for the future I think Ben Hamer.

Comments

• Options
    Agree 100% Think Hamer has developed so much already since he has been with us, and combined with his superb distribution, makes my list of players who will play in the Prem one day (along with Solly, Morro, Wiggins and Stephens).
  • Options
    Great keeper and probably the biggest 'personality' we have in the side I would say.
  • Options
    I agree but I am glad you are not comparing the two just yet. Hamer can be very good but Kiely was an outstanding goalkeeper, don't think Hamer can be as good.
  • Options

Agree 100% Think Hamer has developed so much already since he has been with us, and combined with his superb distribution, makes my list of players who will play in the Prem one day (along with Solly, Morro, Wiggins and Stephens).

Sorry to interrupt this love-in, but distribution classified as superb?! This is deffo a weak point for me - I'm not disputing the accuracy but it's more than this, the failure to spot and start attacks (like Kaspar Schmichael did) indicates poor distribution, pure and simple. Kicks to Yann is one dimensional and will find us losing the ball more often than not in this league.
  • Options
    Hamer Is a better all-rounder than Deano.

Deano was a terrific shot stopper and you could tell he loved Charlton but Ben is looking more like the GK we have missed since Deano, maybe Myhre left.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Deano was a terrific shot stopper and you could tell he loved Charlton but Ben is looking more like the GK we have missed since Deano, maybe Myhre left.

Agree with this, Deano and crosses didn't happen!
  • Options
    I like him because he rinsed Gumbo last night!
  • Options
    On the subject of our former goalies - I just checked the stats for Rob Elliot at Newcastle, turns out he's played a mighty 1 game for them since leaving us (in the league cup)
    It ponders the "cash vs love of the game" question, I wonder if he regrets leaving us - while he lives in a massive house in Toonland
  • Options

Sorry to interrupt this love-in, but distribution classified as superb?! This is deffo a weak point for me - I'm not disputing the accuracy but it's more than this, the failure to spot and start attacks (like Kaspar Schmichael did) indicates poor distribution, pure and simple. Kicks to Yann is one dimensional and will find us losing the ball more often than not in this league.
    I'd disagree, I think Hamer is one of the better 'footballing' keepers out there. Numerous times I've seen him start attacks from plucking the ball from an opposition corner and setting away Danny Haynes on the counter.

Hamer will be more than fine in this league.
  • Options

Kaspar was dangerous because he launched it the majority of the length of the pitch and had 4 or 5 people to aim at. Hamer isn't going to launch an attack when he's playing a 70 or 80 yard pass to a lone frontman outnumbers 4 to 1

Last season some of his kicking was world class - low zipping volleys to Wiggins bombing down the wing. World class may seem a little extreme but there are genuinely only a handful of people that i've seen kick that far, quickly and accurately

As for all round ability - for a relatively young keeper he is more than adequate at present and if he keeps developing he could realistically be our No.1 for another 10 years and I dare say become one of our greats.

I really like him - bit of arrogance, bit of a Billy big spuds but he does seem to like being here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

I like him because he rinsed Gumbo last night!

haha i see that
  • Options
    Swisdom, I'm not talking about that. When we were under pressure, there was Wiggs and Stevo on the left in acres of space but no, another punt to Yann after waiting 10 secs for him to get upfield along with their back four, very frustrating... Need to read the game better I think...
  • Options
    The problem is that if you try things in relation to your distribution, there is more room for error. It certainly doesn't mean this is a weak area of Hamer's and I nearly fell of my seat when I read that comment. He is probably the best footballing keeper we have had - Of course there is much more to being a keeper - principaly preventing goals.

I think Hamer has made strong improvements over the course of the season and I certainly feel very secure with him in the side. Yes he can improve some more and I'm sure he will but I am more than happy with him. Amazingly there was a thread on here last season where some said we needed to replace him in the Championship!
  • Options
    Admittedly Kiely was terrible at crosses. But you could hear from the station. Hamer is fairly quiet, there is just no comparison. We have to remember that Hamer was good last year - League 1. We're 2 games into the Champ. Kiely did it week in week out in the prem. We have to be realistic. All these threads about the players, we have to remember the players that turnt up to be a wealthy Chelsea side 4-2 on Boxing day. That win was a little bit better than a 2-1 win against Leicester.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

That's a sweeping statement, when Deano played several seasons facing Henry and Van Nisterooy, while Hamer has had one successful season in Div 3! I though Sasa Ilic would become a Charlton stalwart, but he only lasted a year or so in the team.
  • Options
    Of course time will tell with Hamer, but I think if anyone is going to eventually match up to Deano as one of our best no1's, I predict it will be him.
  • Options
    Deano was/ is an absolute legend. Hamer was really solid last season and had a blinder on Tuesday night. He has got a big personality too, which is important for a goalkeeper. I did think Robbie was a top keeper as well though.
  • Options
    I prefer Hamer to Elliott. I preferred Randolph to Elliott aswell
  • Options
    Shot-stopping - both Deano and Hamer very good
    Crosses - Deano was poor and, until this season, Hamer not much better. With eyes fixed should continue to improve.
    Distribution - DEano always kicked into row M of the stands. Hamer much better but with room to improve.

Overall - a close call but remember that Hamer is very young and keepers peak much later. I reckon Hamer will become better than Deano was at his peak.
  • Options

From where I was sitting on tuesday, it seemed that 9 out of 10 of kaspers 'punts' went straight through the middle, bounced once before being claimed comfortably by Hamer.

Liked the look of Hamer since seeing him play against us on loan. Yes, he has the odd flap and makes mistakes but those are things he will continue to work on and improve. I'd go on to say he'll be a premiership keeper in the future, and who knows, maybe even knock on the england door one day?

One thing I do know, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with him for more than 5 mins. He's like an over excited kid on a diet of Haribos washed down with redbull......................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kiely was consistently one of the best keepers in the Prem. People going way over the top - yes Hamer was very good last year but it was division 3! You just cannot make any comparison until Hamer has at least a full year in the Prem really. The quality is ridiculously good - 1million pound is a risk in the champ and there are 30million + in the prem.
  • Options
    Have been saying for ages that Ben Hamer will become a Charlton icon. He is a very good keeper and as mad as a bag of frogs up Charlie Wright's jumper. That Brum keeper has played for England and by heck I reckon Ben is better.
  • Options

From where I was sitting on tuesday, it seemed that 9 out of 10 of kaspers 'punts' went straight through the middle, bounced once before being claimed comfortably by Hamer.

Liked the look of Hamer since seeing him play against us on loan. Yes, he has the odd flap and makes mistakes but those are things he will continue to work on and improve. I'd go on to say he'll be a premiership keeper in the future, and who knows, maybe even knock on the england door one day?

One thing I do know, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with him for more than 5 mins. He's like an over excited kid on a diet of Haribos washed down with redbull......................
    Being stuck in any lift for five minutes would be a concern surely?! :p

I reckon Hamer would be a top lad on a night out.
  • Options
    Hamer frustrates me a lot with his reluctance to start an attack quickly by rolling it out to a fullback or even a midfielder. Great shot stopper and good all-round keeper don't get me wrong but we need to mix it up instead of straight to yann's head every time.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Jarman said:

That's a sweeping statement, when Deano played several seasons facing Henry and Van Nisterooy, while Hamer has had one successful season in Div 3! I though Sasa Ilic would become a Charlton stalwart, but he only lasted a year or so in the team.
    Pretty sure I read Ilic smashed his face into the post in training which gave him a blind spot in his eye.

Also I agree he is the best SINCE Deano / Myhre although that isn't saying much. I wasn't convinced last season till about February / March but now he is becomming my favourite player. Did anyone see him at Leicester doing his nut at the lino who was at the halfway line and obviously would not have heard him in a million years but he shouted at him anyway?
  • Options
    danwhicks said:

On the subject of our former goalies - I just checked the stats for Rob Elliot at Newcastle, turns out he's played a mighty 1 game for them since leaving us (in the league cup)
    It ponders the "cash vs love of the game" question, I wonder if he regrets leaving us - while he lives in a massive house in Toonland

Is he happy though?..........yep I bet he is! Its a job and a short career so good luck to him!

• Options
    He's a bruce grobelaar style keeper , we can all hide on the line and get beaten from distance and wherever else and moan at the defenders but hamer puts his cock in the custard and isn't afraid to get amongst it

Few year yet before we compare to deano but SCP knew we needed at least a half decent keeper to get promoted and addressed that issue promptly !
  • Options
    People go on about Hamer taking ages to start attacks and what not but if you look down the other end youl often see BWP and Yann waving there arms down telling him to slow the game down.

• Options
    edited August 2012

He's a bruce grobelaar style keeper , we can all hide on the line and get beaten from distance and wherever else and moan at the defenders but hamer puts his cock in the custard and isn't afraid to get amongst it

Few year yet before we compare to deano but SCP knew we needed at least a half decent keeper to get promoted and addressed that issue promptly !

Ha ha - 'puts his cock in the custard' - must remember that when I next talk to my nan! Classic!
  • Options
    MattD said:

People go on about Hamer taking ages to start attacks and what not but if you look down the other end youl often see BWP and Yann waving there arms down telling him to slow the game down.

People were having a bit of a go Tuesday night because he wasn't getting rid of it quickly but we were 2-1 up. Surely the idea is to run the clock down rather not get it out as quick as possible?