Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is South London cursed?

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/sport/football/footballnews/9887748.Glasgow_Rangers_break_obscure_south_east_London_gate_record_but_are_Millwall__Charlton_and_Palace_cursed_/?ref=rss

Another article by that Millwall blogger. Quite a good read. Mad that between us the three clubs have only won one trophy, our 1947 FA Cup.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    No, between us we have not only won one trophy. Charlton have won the Cup and the others have won F All.

And Millwall and Palace may have only had fleeting spells in the top flight but our 20 year, 4 year and 7 year spells were not.

In any case Millwall is in east london where their club was formed by economic migrants and Crystal Palace are from Surrey
  • Options
    the mighty Peterborough United?? He don't half talk some B*******!
  • Options
    I always thought 2 south london clubs won the FA Cup. Us and Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Henry you missed a PL season I think. Surely it was 1plus 7?
  • Options
    Typical millwall, always going on about stats and records.
  • Options
    You're right Bryan but WAS a fleeting appearance.

Althought = to 50% of Smallwall' total
  • Options
    Even the shining light of south London football Charlton Athletic
    Fair point...
  • Options
    Are we underachieving? Maybe. But as Henry says at least we've had sustained spells at the top (and 1947's cup). We could do better, we hopefully will.
    Are Millwall and Palace underachieving? Nah, they've found their level.
  • Options
    "Millwall have the most prestigious history out of the trio"
    I didn't know that fact but there yeh go learn something everyday.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Actually not a bad article, though those smaller northern clubs mentioned got their success at a time when football was much more concentrated there. Certainly, it's surprising that none of us have won a League Cup, when you consider the likes of Swindon, Oxford Utd and Luton Town who have won it!

West Ham have won several trophies despite being no bigger than we have been in our history
    Millwall and Charlton both had great teams just as WW2 broke out
    Arsenal became a giant after leaving South London
    Charlton nearly went bankrupt, and lost its ground for 7 years
    Wimbledon ended up disappearing and being relaunched in Milton Keynes
    Palace... are well Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So does this mean we should move to Kent, then?
  • Options
    I thought it was actually a pretty decent article, I read it earlier and enjoyed it.

The mighty addicks bit caused a bit of a smile. That said, I know Millwall provokes a bit of a strong reaction amongst some of our fans; truth be told I don't mind them - I even like them a bit!

Palace on the other hand... Scum!
  • Options
    I'm with you lucky I have never had any bad feeling towards Millwall and if I am honest don't have the real hatred of Palace that a lot of CAFC posters do I try to put all my energy into supporting our lot and basically ignore the rest.
  • Options

I'm with you lucky I have never had any bad feeling towards Millwall and if I am honest don't have the real hatred of Palace that a lot of CAFC posters do I try to put all my energy into supporting our lot and basically ignore the rest.

Agree with you there Dave....though when i was younger I really did dislike Palace...not so bothered about them nowdays.
  • Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

the mighty Peterborough United?? He don't half talk some B*******!

Good sense of humour you have there.
  • Options

"Millwall have the most prestigious history out of the trio"
    I didn't know that fact but there yeh go learn something everyday.

In terms of influence founding the first professional league (the Southern League) south of Birmingham is quite prestigious.

Lots of clubs have won the FA Cup, and even more played a few seasons of top flight football (it's not that much of achievement)..,,pioneering football in the south is.

It's sad that cos of our hooligans being pretty good at beating other hooligans up in the last 30 odd years it overshadows our early history as pioneers. Something Preston are lorded for oooop north.

Oh well...what's our song?

Thought I'd return for a Millwall related thread at least.
  • Options

So does this mean we should move to Kent, then?

Thought we already had.............................
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I thought it was actually a pretty decent article, I read it earlier and enjoyed it.

The mighty addicks bit caused a bit of a smile. That said, I know Millwall provokes a bit of a strong reaction amongst some of our fans; truth be told I don't mind them - I even like them a bit!

This.

Don't really mind Millwall, lots of friends and family who support them (but don't go of course), and they are usually quite complimentary of Charlton.

I will never ever have a positive word for Palace though.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

LuckyReds said:

This.

Don't really mind Millwall, lots of friends and family who support them (but don't go of course), and they are usually quite complimentary of Charlton.

I will never ever have a positive word for Palace though.
    We (Millwall and us) don't need to even talk about the surrey lot they do a very fine job of showing themselves up all the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Millwall and Charlton both had great teams just as WW2 broke out

I just checked - Millwall came 13th in Division 2 in 1938/39 season. I suppose that is dizzy heights by Millwall standards, despite their 'prestigious history'.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    truthful article, we have all seen us win no major trophies and us especially not even a SEMI FINAL . People were still playing on bomb sites and eating lard last time we won anything
  • Options
    I think it is a really good article. I also think that is the first time ever that I have used the word good in conjunction or related to Millwall.

Not bad at the age of 43
  • Options
    Don't champions of the league each season receive a cup then? That's a major honour in my book
  • Options
    Brunello said:

I think it is a really good article. I also think that is the first time ever that I have used the word good in conjunction or related to Millwall.

Not bad at the age of 43

43? Don't think of a career in finance or similar with counting skills like that

: - )

• Options
    Arent arsenal a south london club ;)
  • Options
    lets not forget qpr have won one thing,fulham nothing. though fulham getting to a uefa cup final puts them well in front of us
  • Options
    Bunny said:

Lots of clubs have won the FA Cup, and even more played a few seasons of top flight football (it's not that much of achievement)..,,pioneering football in the south is.

Vintage Bunny.

• Options
    Bunny said:

Thought I'd return for a Millwall related thread at least.

Welcome back Bunny. Are you a man or a woman today then, you never cleared that up for us?
  • Options
    nolly said:

truthful article, we have all seen us win no major trophies and us especially not even a SEMI FINAL . People were still playing on bomb sites and eating lard last time we won anything

Nolly I played on bomb sites and was fed lard. But we never won anything at all until in my lifetime until the play- off final. Since then we have won two league titles and spent 8 seasons in the PL so our recent history is quite distinguished.