Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Big name" signings of the past

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Players who might have been a little past their sell by date (or not) but had a solid reputation when they joined (i.e. players you got really excited about when they joined "little old Charlton". I'm a little too young to have seen Alan Simonsen play but I guess he would make the top of that list. Here are my other suggestions...

Di Canio
JFH
Barnes
Murphy
Romm
Jeffers?

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    I thought Djimi Traore was a big name when we signed him considering he had won the Champions League.
  • Options
    Costa
  • Options

Costa

Good call
  • Options
    Neil Redfearn!
  • Options
    I remember being in Devon and hearing on the car radio that we had signed SuperClive and knowing that we were serious this time, that we were going for promotion. Also watching the televised press conference for Di Canio which seemed to be a major event.

Other occasions when I thought a major signing was going to make a positive difference ( and didnt really) were John Barnes, before that Andy Jones, and the really major shock Allan Simonsen..
  • Options
    Do we all think that Fuller should be on the list?
  • Options
    Mark Bright
    Jesper blomqvist (however you spell it)
  • Options
    I remember being quite exciting when we signed Bradley Allen!
  • Options
    Jorge Costa ... The Tank... Christ I loved that bloke...
  • Options
    Halix said:

I remember being in Devon and hearing on the car radio that we had signed SuperClive and knowing that we were serious this time, that we were going for promotion.

Agreed..and similarly when Youds & Mills came towards the end of that season - we really were going for it this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ambrose was quite a big name signing.

Jason Euell? the first time obviously
  • Options
    Brendan O'Connell
  • Options
    David Tuttle
  • Options
    At the level we were, Dailly
  • Options
    Garth Crooks
  • Options
    Dont laugh - but I remember being excited about Bradley Allen after he signed due to the Old Trafford hat trick.
  • Options

Do we all think that Fuller should be on the list?

Yes, well if Jeffers is....
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

Jorge Costa ... The Tank... Christ I loved that bloke...

Yup..... spot on!

• Options
    Was on holiday when I heard we'd signed Danny Murphy - I found it hard to believe. Shame it turned out he was too big for us. ;-)
  • Options
    Simonsen top of my list by far.
    Costa a very good second.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jimmy Floyd Asselbaink
  • Options
    Jorge costas knee back to kiely was so good he defied the rules ...genius ... Strangely one of my favourite moments ..
  • Options
    In the 70's we never signed many international players so I was quite excited when we signed the Welsh International Leighton Phillips and the following summer when we added Carl Harris to the mix .Of course these were then dwarfed when Simonsen arrived.
  • Options
    They were quite good players for us as a matter of fact Richard....both did us pretty good service without being shall we say, spectacular.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

In the 70's we never signed many international players so I was quite excited when we signed the Welsh International Leighton Phillips and the following summer when we added Carl Harris to the mix .Of course these were then dwarfed when Simonsen arrived.

Can't believe Simonsen could dwarf anybody (Apart from AFKA maybe)........................................
  • Options
    Simonsen was so big it bankrupted the club! Mind you he was some player
  • Options

Dont laugh - but I remember being excited about Bradley Allen after he signed due to the Old Trafford hat trick.

Was that not Dennis Bailey?

• Options
    kodfish said:

Was that not Dennis Bailey?

new years day 1992
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

Jorge costas knee back to kiely was so good he defied the rules ...genius ... Strangely one of my favourite moments ..

He knew the rules, unlike the rest of us, didn't defy the rule (backpass only when struck back to goalie from "...below the knee..." bizarre but true) biggest surprise was at least a couple of refs and linos knew the rule as well!!!!

• Options

Players who might have been a little past their sell by date (or not) but had a solid reputation when they joined (i.e. players you got really excited about when they joined "little old Charlton". I'm a little too young to have seen Alan Simonsen play but I guess he would make the top of that list. Here are my other suggestions...

Di Canio
    JFH
    Barnes
    Murphy
    Romm
    Jeffers?

Anyone else?

Paolo, Murphy and Romm at the time were exciting announcements
    Jimmi and Barnes were massively overweight and clearly past their usefulness some time before they came
    Had great hope for Jeffers that he might finally have grown up and become a professional - sadly not the case. No doubting the talent of any of them, all were as good at what they did as anybody, sadly only Paolo gave us anything like a full season. Barnes gave us what he had but his fitness was way lacking and that season we didn't have anyone anywhere nearly on his wavelength to benefit. Romm showed in flashes but was never man enough for the job. Murphy showed a flash or 2 but sulked and pouted into Charlton infamy. JFH - least said the better, Jeffers hic.

Jorge Costa gave us everything he had and at the time that was plenty, he was proper premiership class. Can he really even had heard of us before he came?

I really hope Ricardo Fuller strives for a Paolo/Costa type legacy even if it's only for this season. He must have exercised a decent reality check on his wages expectations (unless Jimenez & Slater have had some sort of epi) so we can only assume he is genuinely keen to play. Not immediately obvious that he'll be starting, even if he's bang up to fitness, Kermit & BWP have the places taped at present, as a last half hour battering ram should we need one there can be few better at this level.