Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Usain Bolt

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
now we have signed one of his best mates can we expect to see the fastest man on the planet at The Valley on a matchday anytime soon?

Half time entertainment - drag a random person from the crowd and they can race Bolt from the halfway line to the Covered End goal.

Comments

• Options
    Bolt would beat me if I started on the penalty spot and he was at the back of the South Stand!
  • Options
    Haynes will do him.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Haynes will do him.

Haynes would pull his hammy.
  • Options
    You will not be seeing Bolt run in the UK any time soon that's for sure.
    If he gets any appearance money the HMRC want not just a cut of that but a slice of his international earnings from sponsorship, endorsements and the like. He recently turned down a gig here because it would have cost him money to pitch up - he went to Paris instead. So from getting 50% of his fee, the mighty Inland Revenue got, well, precisely nothing.
    It's the case with others too, like Nadal who declined Queen's Club and I guess anyone in the sports/entertainment industry. Seems like a very short-sighted policy to me.

telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/9475125/Usain-Bolt-refuses-to-race-in-UK-until-tax-laws-are-changed.html#
  • Options
    This seems outrageous to me - surely Bolt pays taxes where he is normally resident - how can the UK govt demand their slice?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    from a lighthearted question to the tax affairs of bolt in only 6 responses, i love it.

UP CHARLTON LIFE!!!
  • Options
    Worse than Jiminy Cars. Hope he never runs for England again, even if he is Fuller's mate.
  • Options
    So, the big question is: Bolt or BWP?...............................................................................
  • Options
    He wouldn't be running at all if it wasn't for Thatcher
  • Options

He wouldn't be running at all if it wasn't for Thatcher

Ben?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

This seems outrageous to me - surely Bolt pays taxes where he is normally resident - how can the UK govt demand their slice?

Yeah, I don't understand this either, I thought you only had to pay tax in one country.

• Options
    i thought these olympians done it for the love not money like greedy footballers.etc...
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Yeah, I don't understand this either, I thought you only had to pay tax in one country.

I think this is the Govt/HMRC's (not joined-up) thinking: An athlete earns, say, $12.5mn from a sports clothing firm - let's say Puma. He gets this money because Puma benefit from having him travelling the world, running super-fast sprints wearing Puma gear. Let's say that 5% of his work time is in the UK and Puma benefit from subsequent UK sales. So, HMRC reason 5% of his sponsorship income is due entirely to the work he does in the UK, so he should pay tax on it here. So, he owes them $312,000 being 50% tax on 5% of 12.5mn dollars.
    So, instead, he doesn't work here and keeps his money. Madness isn't it?
  • Options
    So, When man utd go and play away in the champions league, their players can tell the taxman to do one, as they earned that money whilst working abroad? No?

Seems like HMRC want be best of both worlds.....................................
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    tango......I'll wager it's a different scenario for EU residents earning income in other EU countries.
    HMRC will have all the bases covered, of that you can be sure.
  • Options
    Imagine if a Footballer had said this....
  • Options

tango......I'll wager it's a different scenario for EU residents earning income in other EU countries.

What will they do with Chelsea players earning money while in the World Club Championship?
  • Options
    Exactly. You can guarantee the taxman will expect his slice as normal.
  • Options

What will they do with Chelsea players earning money while in the World Club Championship?
    Not sure Gary....other than to say they'll find a way to have a nice nibble of the pie.

• Options
    cafctom said:

Imagine if a Footballer had said this....

I think the difference is, if he was a footballer of the same quality that he runs.. he'd be earning 250k a week.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    thought I read somewhere that Bolt resides part of the year in West London, if this makes a difference.
  • Options
    What will he do when he signs for us???
  • Options

Fastest spongeman in the UK

What will he do when he signs for us???

• Options
    Just got beat into 2nd place in the the first Diamond Meeting of the season in Rome by Justin Gatlin. But Gatlin is a cheat. A proper cheat. Twice caught for drugs but did deals and appeals with US authorities.
    So congratulations Usain on your victory tonight.
  • Options
    Take it we won't see him down the Valley now that Fuller's gone...................