Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dr Kish....views on the midfield last night....

Fair comments I thought...

Pritchard - Excellent first half. His energy is extraordinary, seemed to be everywhere. However, this very energy caused problems in the second half, as Leicester started to move the ball more quickly. It meant Pritch was often caught out of position. However when Stephens was substituted, and he was moved into the middle, it did help us wrestle some of the control away from Leicester.

Stephens - Struggled to impose himself on the game, against a Leicester midfield that was not content to let us dictate the pace. Made a few telling interceptions, and on the whole used the ball intelligently. I expect him to impose himself more, and become the playmaker for the side.

Hollands - Like Stephens, struggled to counter the midfield of the Foxes. Was (surprisingly) out-muscled on a number of occasions. Again, needs to become the holding midfielder, and protect the back-four a little better.

Jackson - Sad to say, except for his dead balls, was poor. Lost the ball way too many times, and often struggled to get back against the marauding Foxes. Took a hefty challenge in the first half, and I wonder if he was feeling that. Johnnie’s not quick, and his lack of pace was particularly obvious last night. I have faith that my “drinking buddy” can raise his game.

Comments

• Options
    agree with pretty much all of that, couldn't fault any of them for effort, Jacko certainly tired in the last quarter, maybe feeling the effects of the challange and he was taken straight off after giving the ball away for the second time in as many minutes, however doubt we'll come up against many better sides than them
  • Options
    Yeah interesting as I also didn't think Stephens was amazing but some are giving him very high scores on the player ratings thread.

Pritchard is fast becoming my favourite player (if I'm allowed one at 27!!)
  • Options
    Yep would go along with this

They passed the ball better than we did at times - slicker - so not sure if Green might be a solution - in saying that though Pritchard's work-rate was great so he doesn't deserve to be dropped.

JJ looked tired in the second half - lack of pace was on show sadly for all to see.
    Hollands looked like he was simply facing better opposition - he'll be fine though
    Stephens had a pretty good game .. much better than most of his last season anyway.
  • Options
    Thought Stephens got caught on the ball a few too many times last night, but overall I thought he was good and think he will be a very important player for us this season. You can just tell he's a class act on the ball, he just needs to get a little more used to the speed of the Championship in order to cut out the errors.
  • Options
    Probably one of the best midfield's we will come up against this season, so probably shouldn't read too much into it.

Still, another big test on Saturday against 'ull.
  • Options
    Don't think we'll play against teams with that much pace going forward which will help as we won't cope. The midfield was fine on Saturday. A few additions to help the midfield is probably needed, I expect a few PL loans at the end of the transfer window just to add some depth to the squad.
  • Options
    Felt Stephens was very impressive in the first half and was the first instigator for most of our attacks.

Second half Leicester had an extra man in midfield and he was far less effective. BUT we didn't help much in that regard, we were hitting far more long balls as we began to sit deeper, effectively nullifying Stephens' game.
  • Options
    Wasn't at the Birmingham game so can only mention what I saw last night, but for everything good that Pritchard did last night, he is clearly not a right midfielder. He left Solly exposed with his drifting inside (he made himself available for a left wing throw in the second half!) He was great when on the ball though and when in position looked good. If he is to play wide right more often though I hope he is given some positional training.

Don't want to open the whole Waggy vs Green debate, but against opposition like last night, I think Waggy would have made us look a lot more balanced in the middle as he will track back and we will see the best of Solly with a positionally disciplined player on the right side of midfield. We can then use Pritchard as a replacement for Hollands / Stephens if they are tiring, or take BWP off and go into a 5 man midfield to beef up the middle of the pitch and protect a lead
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Waggy moans quite a bit doesn't he.
    Not sure if that should affect his chances of getting into the team ...or on to the bench for that matter but his moaning has really started to irritate me as he tends to do it when he has been fairly tackled or has failed to get on the end of a pass and is claiming some sort of foul to the ref
    Not looking good for him if he isn't considered good enough for the matchday 18 ... Haynes will be ahead of him as well.
  • Options
    Thought they won the battles in the first half and Leicester put in an extra man and th eteam were a bit more defensive. I think the midfield had good games- JJ was quality with his balls in the first half and lost out towards the end when his legs had gone. Pritchard was terrific first half but wasn't seeing the ball so much in the second until Wilson came on and he was moved to the centre- where he was excellent again. Holland did a simple job terrifically well throughout and Stephens was the play maker and impressive before he tired. You can see I don't fully agree with Dr Kish on this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Pritchard was awsome in the first half, not so much after the break. Jackson should have been taken off at least 10 mins before he was, as he was struggling big time after the hour-mark. Hollands and Stephens did the job. Nothing fancy, but did okay. Just think we need an attacking CM at times, as neither seems to look at pushing on to support the front line at times, although this may simply be down to them doing what they're told....................................

all-in-all, satisfied with our midfield
  • Options
    Jackson "poor"? That description surprises me.

He got caught a couple of times towards the end as he tired, but no more than the other midfielders during the course of the game.

We all know that he's not a speedy winger, so I don't really know what some people expect.
  • Options
    still think the midfield is unbalanced - both Pritchard and (to a lesser degree) JJ are not wingers or even "wide" men and sometimes last night we had 4 players all within 10 yards of each other. Seeing as neither Hollands or Stevens really run with the ball (ala Gazza, Jensen,Parker, Bowyer etc) then we are severly restricted when it comes to opening up teams. Last night there were times when the ball needed to be played wide to create space but Pritchard was in the centre circle - our 1st goal came when he actually decided to make a run forward with the ball.

I'm not saying that we need 2 out & out wingers, but Pritchard is in-experienced and needs to drift out wider from time to time to find space.
  • Options
    Didn't get to the game last night, but for what it's worth, on Saturday at Birmingham I thought Pritch was superb, particularly his delivery into the box and willingness and ability to run from midfield. I think it's given us a great option with him on the right to attack with the width/delivery, or tuck in and create a more central three as required.
  • Options

still think the midfield is unbalanced - both Pritchard and (to a lesser degree) JJ are not wingers or even "wide" men and sometimes last night we had 4 players all within 10 yards of each other. Seeing as neither Hollands or Stevens really run with the ball (ala Gazza, Jensen,Parker, Bowyer etc) then we are severly restricted when it comes to opening up teams. Last night there were times when the ball needed to be played wide to create space but Pritchard was in the centre circle - our 1st goal came when he actually decided to make a run forward with the ball.

I'm not saying that we need 2 out & out wingers, but Pritchard is in-experienced and needs to drift out wider from time to time to find space.

We are playing them for 2 reasons - a) they support the central midfielders more and make us much more competetive and B) we can still get width from our attacking wing backs.

This is the way you have to play against decent teams at this level and you pring out and out wingers on as subs. Pritchard was doing excatly what Powell asked him to do - he isn't there to be a winger, he is there to support Hollands and STephens and he did that very well IMO.

• Options
    I've yet to see us but it sounds as though we are playing a narrow midfield 4 like Curbs did in the days of Parker, Jensen, Stuart and Kish or Holland.
  • Options
    Blimey, you would have thought we'd lost that match with the write-up our midfield got
  • Options

Blimey, you would have thought we'd lost that match with the write-up our midfield got

Yeah. One was poor, two struggled and the fourth had one good half then disappeared.

Read that and you would think Leicester must've been shite to let us win - which was far from the case.
  • Options
    I'm concerned about Jackson. After a period on the sidelines before the run-in last season he looked knackered in just about all the games he played. I'd assumed it was due to the long season and the injury - maybe he came back a little sooner than he might have done if he'd not been so important to us. In the pre-season games I saw he still seemed to be struggling. I know he is not very quick, but he often looks like he just doesn't have the energy to make the run that is needed.

I do hope there is not something more seriously wrong with him.
  • Options
    Well we won the match so that is a good starting point. I thought Danny Hollands was our best midfielder last night he did a lot of unseen graft and was very effective in defence. Pritchard was a real threat in the first half true he isn't an out and out winger but he does add spine when needed and can tackle something both Green and Waggy lack. Stephens for me flatters to deceive a bit and did give the ball away in dangerous areas last night. The JJ one of my favourite players but looked off the pace and he simple doesn't have the legs to play wide. Ideally he would be left midfield but then with Danny Hollands being left sided you have inbalance. So there is the conundrum I would prefer a pitch burner out wide but then you lose the fantastic set peices and the general calmness.

That all said I thought Leicester were an excellent side and we did very well to win that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm concerned about Jackson. After a period on the sidelines before the run-in last season he looked knackered in just about all the games he played. I'd assumed it was due to the long season and the injury - maybe he came back a little sooner than he might have done if he'd not been so important to us. In the pre-season games I saw he still seemed to be struggling. I know he is not very quick, but he often looks like he just doesn't have the energy to make the run that is needed.

I do hope there is not something more seriously wrong with him.

Agree 100%

Been saying since the middle of last season that I am concerned there is something seriously wrong with Jackson. Seems to run out of energy and tire very quickly. It's definitely a concern
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Jackson is replaceable.

I feel he is playing through injury. We need to utilise other players.
  • Options
    Just on twitter - probably gives some more insight into Jackson's performance last night:

John Sullivan:

@johnnie_jackson: how's the boat?

Johnnie Jackson:

@JohnSullivan13 Bit sore John...was like taking a haymaker

• Options
    thought stephens started well but tired but played some good stuff in 1st half ..loooked fit and hungry

pritchard ...gets better and better (also v good at falling over and winning free kicks) but i think eventually we may discover he has his limitations (i hope i am wrong) love his ethusiasm

hollands ...again less effective in 2nd half (may be better choice as skipper longterm)

jacko ...hmm ...not at his best ...though game passed him by...may have got injured as he was too slow getting into a tackle
  • Options
    What do you think Pritchard's limitations might turn out to be? he has pace- is confortable on the ball - terrific engine-good quick passer- good in the air for his height. I think he'll go all the way and goes to show that there are gems to be found at non league level.
  • Options

What do you think Pritchard's limitations might turn out to be? he has pace- is confortable on the ball - terrific engine-good quick passer- good in the air for his height. I think he'll go all the way and goes to show that there are gems to be found at non league level.

Pritchard is class, how did nobody spot him before?
  • Options

I'm not sure if limitation is the word exactly but his age, given his lack of experience in the football league, may count against him.

On the other hand it might ensure we keep hold of him which would be good.
  • Options
    In what way - I think it seems to be counting for him judging by the progress he has made and is making in such a short space of time. He seems to have a determination to suceed and doesn't take anything for granted. My biggest fear with him and a few of our players is that we will need to go up this season to keep them.
  • Options

In what way - I think it seems to be counting for him judging by the progress he has made and is making in such a short space of time. He seems to have a determination to suceed and doesn't take anything for granted. My biggest fear with him and a few of our players is that we will need to go up this season to keep them.

Just whether he will plateau and stop improving.

I'm not saying that it will definitely happen but just making a suggestion in response to your original point.

I agree that his attitude appears top notch which is a massive plus point.
  • Options
    Pritch was blowing out of his arse after 30 minutes. He had a decent game but let the love-in begin eh? I can see addoration of Semedo proportions on there way on a weekly basis.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and we're all entitled to our opinion but anyone who gave him a 9/10 for last night is just blinkered.