Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Long Ball to Yann

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Should this be used sparingly or should we use it all the while Yann is winning them?

I feel we used it too much last nigh especially in the last 15 mins, there was a point when Hamer collected, Wiggo went left in acres of space and Hamer was just looking for Yann, trouble is BWP was tiring so wasn't picking up the knock-ons. Consequently the ball kept coming back. I dont want us to get one dimensional when it is obvious that we can play football.

Feel free to discuss.

Comments

• Options
    I wasn't at the game last night Greeny, but I get what your saying. Last seaosn so many teams we resorted to just sending the ball Yann's way, but just because he wins the headers doesn't mean we should keep doing it! As you said, when we play on the floor we can take teams apart and Yann himself is not exactly bad with his feet!
  • Options
    Felt they were anticipating this one throughout last night. Even with BWP & Yann on fire, the move never resulted in anything.. Yann won them all, but move soon got smothered.
  • Options
    I agree, it reminded me of the Euros, England vs Italy, when our most successful pass was Hart to Carroll...

It should have been clear that the long punts to Yann weren't working, as we ceded possession from most of them, hopefully they'll work on that in training...
  • Options
    last 15 mins we were under the cosh and desperate to clear our lines.

I don't think that we set out to play a long ball but sometimes the other teams come and try and stop us playing neat on the floor football.
  • Options

last 15 mins we were under the cosh and desperate to clear our lines.

I don't think that we set out to play a long ball but sometimes the other teams come and try and stop us playing neat on the floor football.

Agree to a point H, Powell said we were too deep, so that leaves the only option of hoofing to Yann which increases the pressure cos it only comes back.
  • Options
    A number of times Hamer had goal kicks (i.e. dead ball kicks under no pressure) but there seemed to be no alternative to booting the ball down the field to Yann, I'm sure at the start of last season he played it shorter more often, or aimed his kick outs at the wide midfielders.

A throw out to Wiggins might have been a good option also, as he often had some space. Stephens at one point had masses of space and was quite upset he didn't get the ball from the keeper.
  • Options
    It seemed we had space on the left in a few instances but the ball was aimed at YK on the right of centre every time
  • Options
    Each team will hit it long, Yann's timing and tenacity to attack each ball is something we have in our favour that other teams strikers don't. We can knock it around, but it's good to mix it up too. We're not Barca.

Also, i've never seen a team with the idea of putting a little extra on their long passing/goalkicks like Lestah. Kasper almost put two or three chances on a plate for Nugent by just pelting the ball right in between our back four and Hamer.
  • Options
    I have said this many times but people seem to bury their heads in the sand so I'm relieved that you are now thinking the same. Throwing the Ball to feet ensures we keep possession and therefore the oppos do all the running not us...
  • Options
    Perhaps the eye surgery is 50% completed, now the left eye to go so Hamer then could see Stevens/Wiggins! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that we were getting a little desperate to be fair. The step up in quality between League 1 sides and Leicester was stark. It is a learning curve for the players being on the backfoot like that. The fact that we held on at the end is a massive bonus.