Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Championship 2012/13 Preview: Ipswich Town

Club: Ipswich Town

Last Season Position: 15th in the Championship

Recent History:

Ipswich have been in the Championship for a decade which has seen them have five different managers during that period. Joe Royle was appointed in 2002 after George Burley was sacked, but he failed to take Ipswich back to the Premier League despite finishing in the play-offs in two consecutive years but losing both semi-final games against West Ham. The following 2005–06 season saw Ipswich finish in 15th place—the club's lowest finish since 1966. Joe Royle resigned by mutual consent on 11 May 2006, and a month later, Jim Magilton was o announced as the new manager.
Magilton couldn’t push the Tractor Boys back towards the Premier League and had an average period in charge of Ipswich which eventually saw him depart for Roy Keane. But after 18 unsuccessful months for Keane, he was also sacked where current manager Paul Jewell took over the job.

Manager Profile:

Paul Jewell made his managerial debut for Bradford a club he played for previously and he managed to get the Yorkshire side into the Premier League in 1999. The following season, he managed to keep Bradford in the Premier League with a dramatic final day victory over Liverpool. After falling out with the board, Jewell already set his sights on a move to Sheffield Wednesday where he encountered a torrid eight month spell and was sacked. Jewell then took over Division Two side Wigan, where he managed consecutive promotions eventually leading them to the Premier League.
He resigned from Wigan in 2007 and was later appointed as Derby’s manager. He spent two seasons at Pride Park but after failing to take the club any further, he resigned. In January 2011, Jewell took over Ipswich.

Summer Transfer Activity:

In
Luke Chambers ..... Notts Forest ..... Free
Elliott Hewitt ..... Macclesfield ..... Undis
Scott Loach ..... Watford ..... Undis
Massimo Luongo ..... Spurs ..... Loan

Out
Grant Leadbitter ..... Middlesborough .... Free
Jimmy Bullard - released

Expected Line-Up:

..........................Loach.....................
Edwards.....Smith....Chambers.....Cresswell
E-Thomas....Hyam.....Luongo.....Carson
........................Martin.........................
.......................Chopra....................

Expected Tactics/Formation:

After doing research into their recent friendlies, I have discovered that Ipswich like to operate a 4-2-3-1 formation with ex-Charlton loanee Lee Martin operating in a ‘free role’. Speaking to an Ipswich fan, it seems like the Tractor Boys have been playing ‘on the ground’ football with quick short passing which is a style that boss Paul Jewell is hoping that the side can adopt during the season.

What the Fans are saying:

I spoke to a fan via Twitter who has mid-table expectations for Ipswich this season and in particular “9th or 10th spot”. Ideally, most Ipswich fans will be hoping to see their side push for a play-off spot but as the Championship is shaping up to be as hard as ever, the fans are keeping their feet firmly on the ground.

My Verdict:

I think a mid-table position for Ipswich this season is definitely doable. Paul Jewell will need to add to his squad however, if they want to push for a play-off spot as I don’t think they have enough squad in depth to cover for the whole season.

Compiled by: @StubleyAddick

Can Paul Jewell get them moving in the right direction again ?

Comments

• Keane spent all the cash and left Jewell a poisoned chalice. He can't get the blend right, team spirit is poor, they are in trouble. Chambers is a good buy from Forest but won't stop their defensive rot. Relegation
  • Really don't rate Jewell as a manager. Can't see them challenging.
  • Mid table