Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic boxing

Comments

• Options
    Blimey, that Joshua fella's a big lump.
  • Options
    "chance to emulate audrey Harrison"
    Kind of takes the shine off it.
  • Options
    Totally agree.

Wish him luck in the final.
  • Options
    Really rate Joshua, clearly listens to his coaches too.

Think he'll Gold.
  • Options
    Good performance. Looked edgy early on, but started to impose himself and won the third quite comfortably. However, Cammarelle is an absolute beast of an opponent. Don't fancy his chances much in the final.
  • Options
    He beat Cammarelle in the last World Championships and I think he's improving as a boxer (less than four years in the sport), whilst Cammarelle is in the twilight of his career.
  • Options
    I know the scoring has changed but it seems you have to produce a heavy punch to score these days. Jabs don't count nor body shots unless the guy looks hurt by one. Anyone tape Joshua fight? Pretty sure jab that produced claret didn't score as only 5 points in last round..
  • Options
    Just watched a Thai fight for gold against a Chinese guy 13/10 to the Chinese guy and no way did he win ----no attempt at boxing only holding and pushing the ACTUAL boxing was done by the Thai ?

No idea how these refs score or they very bad seating and cant actually see a punch.
  • Options
    yes the thai was robbed,thought luke campell result was bang on
  • Options
    Very close final
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nevin made the mistake of putting pressure on the southpaw lead,was countered all day long,great fight
  • Options
    Great fight ...well done Campbell
  • Options
    great final
  • Options
    Campbell has boxed brilliantly throughout the tournament and worthy of the Gold. Well done son.

I was lucky enough to get to 2 boxing sessions. Last Monday evening's session (Ogogo & Joshua), was as good as I've been to over the years. The venue is a bigger version of York Hall and a bearpit whenever one of the Brits fought. The organisers did well to acheive that. Proper East End...you could even get pie n' mash on the way in.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this.
  • Options
    That Ukranian who took the silver in the light weight, has he modelled his hair on Gary Oldmanis characcter in the 5th Element?
  • Options
    You wouldn't want to stumble upon the Ukranian boxing team in dark alley would you?
  • Options
    The Thai boxer was without a doubt robbed and not just with that poor decision by the ref in the last.

Sad for me that John Joe couldn't reach the same level as his previous rounds, but a well deserved win for Campbell. The two of them obviously know each other well and put on a really good 3 rounds of boxing. Well done again Luke.
  • Options
    Get in there Anthony Joshua! Thought he sneaked that one rather than the countback! Fred just didn't get going ....
  • Options
    Italians dispute. Bout to be re judged.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Italy appealed against Joshua result, might not be gold after all, but thought he won it anyway.
  • Options
    Love the way the experts haven't a clue of how the scoring system works.
    Could only happen In boxing!
  • Options

Italy appealed against Joshua result, might not be gold after all, but thought he won it anyway.

Not surprised tbh. Joshua deserved to win the last round but difficult to see how he did so by 3pts to level it.
  • Options
    No change. Joshua gold.
  • Options
    Why did they get rid of the points system where you could see instantly if the judges had scored a punch?

• Options
    on an appeal the only way it could go for you is if the ref done something wrong and failed to score a knockdown or take points away for an offence so was always going to Joshuas win

i didnt have him 3 down after the 2nd had it about even to 1 point against

can see that he turned rd a couple of points not 3

• Options
    Can someone explain the 'countback' rule please. I was obviously wrong in thinking that if score were level after round three that the score was taken after round two and then, if still level, round one.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Off_it said:

Why did they get rid of the points system where you could see instantly if the judges had scored a punch?

Far too honest for a sport like boxing.

Apparently the old system was the main protagonist for Don King's sudden hair colour change during the Los angeles olympics!

• Options
    The reason the scores are not displayed is to prevent the guy who may be say four points clear, dancing for the rest of the fight. I prefer this method
  • Options
    Stone said:

Can someone explain the 'countback' rule please. I was obviously wrong in thinking that if score were level after round three that the score was taken after round two and then, if still level, round one.

Not a bloody clue.

And neither have the boxers,judge's or boxings governing body.

Duckworth and Lewis eat your hearts out.