Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Baldock

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
So aside from the rumours of is he, is he not coming. I was wondering would he just walk into our team and push our top scorer out? What's your view on it?

Comments

• Options
    we won't sign him but yes he would walk in ahead of BWP for me. He misses too many chances.
  • Options
    Is he a really a better option than BWP? I don't think so. And Kerm is a beast. Why change a winning formula?
  • Options
    on tough away days he would be a better option than BWP as he has more to his game.
  • Options
    Being honest, never seen him play i dont think.
  • Options
    I don't understand the BWP criticism. He may miss some chances but his record for us is exceptional.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    He would be one of the best strikers in this league, 5 goals in 6 starts for WHU and he could have many more if he was played regularly.

So yes we would be better than BWP.
  • Options
    On the positive side of things he hasn't signed for anyone else but on the negative side I don't think we can afford him.
  • Options
    Baldock is a definate upgrade from BWP
  • Options
    se9addick said:

On what evidence? BWP has a much better ratio.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc_joe said:

se9addick said:

If your going on last season appearances only 6 of those were starts and he scored 5 goals in those games.
  • Options
    23 appearances according to the stats last season. I don't know why people feel the need to undermine our top players. BWP scored a lot of goals in a record-breaking season last year. I don't think that he has done anything to be overlooked and cast aside?
  • Options
    Come on powell get ur money out hes waiting for ur call? Think he be an great signing always looks a threat on the ball where as bwp looks like hes going to fall over it or aim it straight at the keeper! But he does have great vision to get in the positions in the first place.needs competition for his place.
  • Options
    Think this thread is flogging a dead horse.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    cafc_joe said:

23 appearances according to the stats last season. I don't know why people feel the need to undermine our top players. BWP scored a lot of goals in a record-breaking season last year. I don't think that he has done anything to be overlooked and cast aside?

No I don't believe BWP should be cast aside but if you have a chance of getting a quality striker thats better than the one's you currently have you would buy him and play him and as a result he should score more goals meaning we win more games (theoretically) so we would be more successful, you have to play your strongest team. As much as I like BWP Baldock is much better, but we don't even know if we can afford Baldock so I'm more than happy enough with BWP up front but we could do better.

And yes Baldock made 23 appearances last season but only 6 were starts the rest were off the bench.
  • Options
    I am not in favor of Big striker, Little striker. These days it's all about pace, I'd play him upfront along side BWP with Kermit just behind them.
  • Options
    Goodbye horse, goodbye horse, saying goodbye to his horse
  • Options
    I think the model used yesterday, with Jacko playing behind the forwards, may well be used so it would be one or the other.
  • Options
    Nice if the fella wants to come here but can't see it happening unless someone is sold for a sizeable sum which unless it was a striker would mean we'd need cover elsewhere.
  • Options
    cafc_joe said:

se9addick said:

cafc_joe said:

se9addick said:

In the evidence of watching almost every game home and away and seeing BWP miss about 3 chances a game. His goals return to chances wasn't great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

cafc_joe said:

se9addick said:

cafc_joe said:

se9addick said:

In the evidence of watching almost every game home and away and seeing BWP miss about 3 chances a game. His goals return to chances wasn't great.
    But it takes a player of certain quality to create chances
  • Options
    Bottom line he scored 23 goals. If he can do that next season we've got the best or nearly the best striker in the league. If he really misses 3 chances a game that he should score we are saying he should be scoring over 90 goals a season. Go figure!
  • Options
    Bottom line is we haven't the funds to sign him at the moment. Maybe a loan would be possible.
  • Options
    I think the nagging doubt for people with BWP is not that he misses chances - all strikers do that - but that he missed quite a few very very good chances, notably a number of one-on-ones (I think he's already missed one vs Welling this pre-season too).

Overall he had a good season and we ecrtainly didn't have anyone else in the squad we could have looked to to score the number of goals he did, but he did also have a long drought mid season and was quite heavily outscored by Rhodes and Evans playing for, probably, inferior teams.

He absolutely deserves to be given support and patience by the fans and the club and I'm sure CP will give him a chance to score goals next season, but he's never been prolific previously in the Championship and has that dodgy knee which means you have to be aware he may get injured at some point. If another potential Championship quality goalscorer is available for money we can afford then we should be looking to add to our options in my opinion. Too many people seem to think that if you sign a player that automatically means it's curtains for anyone else who plays in their position, but it's a squad game these days.

Personally I would have a 4th centre back higher up the priority list though, I think there are question marks attached to Cort and Taylor at this level and even Morro has had a patchy record in the Championship. Writing no-one off, but we need options through the door by August 31st as we can't go down the emergency loan route anymore.
  • Options

I think the nagging doubt for people with BWP is not that he misses chances - all strikers do that - but that he missed quite a few very very good chances, notably a number of one-on-ones (I think he's already missed one vs Welling this pre-season too).

Overall he had a good season and we ecrtainly didn't have anyone else in the squad we could have looked to to score the number of goals he did, but he did also have a long drought mid season and was quite heavily outscored by Rhodes and Evans playing for, probably, inferior teams.

He absolutely deserves to be given support and patience by the fans and the club and I'm sure CP will give him a chance to score goals next season, but he's never been prolific previously in the Championship and has that dodgy knee which means you have to be aware he may get injured at some point. If another potential Championship quality goalscorer is available for money we can afford then we should be looking to add to our options in my opinion. Too many people seem to think that if you sign a player that automatically means it's curtains for anyone else who plays in their position, but it's a squad game these days.

Personally I would have a 4th centre back higher up the priority list though, I think there are question marks attached to Cort and Taylor at this level and even Morro has had a patchy record in the Championship. Writing no-one off, but we need options through the door by August 31st as we can't go down the emergency loan route anymore.

I find it hard to disagree with much said here.
  • Options

(BWP).......... was quite heavily outscored by Rhodes and Evans playing for, probably, inferior teams.

Rhodes and Evans were the penalty takers at their clubs.

Take away their penalty goals, and their goal tally from outfield play is not significantly much different than BWP achieved.

• Options
    BWP is definately worth perservering with but he really needs to improve his one on one with the keeper ratio...but if I/we know that then the coaching staff will of course....so I hope he's being pushed all the way to improve in this department.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

(BWP).......... was quite heavily outscored by Rhodes and Evans playing for, probably, inferior teams.

Rhodes and Evans were the penalty takers at their clubs.

Take away their penalty goals, and their goal tally from outfield play is not significantly much different than BWP achieved.
    That, also 1 goal in 3 or 4 shots is actually very good.

Here's what I posted back in April:

Evans 137 shots 29 goals 21% goals to shots
    Rhodes 115 - 35 - 30%
    BWP 114 - 22 - 19%
    Beavon 87 - 20 - 23%
    Madine 64 - 18 - 28%
    Yann 65 - 11 - 17%
    Lisbie 55 - 12 - 22%
    Clarke 30 - 9 - 30%
    Hayes 31 - 9 - 29%
  • Options
    There is no question BWP misses a decent finishing touch, the stats show that.
    Fortunately there is a lot more to his game.
  • Options
    Another point about BWP was that I thought our set up didn't help him all that much. Kermorgant often played deep and was the target man and with BWP playing off the shoulder of the last defender and stretching opponents defences out he didn't always see a lot of the ball. Get a partner alongside him that assists him and holds the ball and looks to bring BWP in then he will score laods more.