Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Broadstairs

Comments

• Options
    Thank God for that! Looks like it was just a stupid time to go then. Hopefully we'll have an indian summer and I can go down there after the school holidays.
  • Options
    Like Broadstais been a few times in recent years.

Do they still do teh free fireworks on a Weds night in the summer?
  • Options
    Badger said:

Went to Margate last week and also visited Broadstairs and Ramsgate, always plenty to do and had a nice time.

Had a lovely meal at The Ambrette in Margate and Visited the Turner gallery to see the Tracey Emin Exhibition,Thought Broadstairs still has it's charm and the harbour in Ramsgate is worth a visit.

When I was down that way recently I also took the opportunity to visit the Tracey Emin exhibition. I've always thought she was a talentless chancer, but I'd never seen her work in person. Having now seen the exhibition, my view has not changed, but at least now I can justify those views.
  • Options
    My favorite time to go Broadstairs is boxing day to New years day.
  • Options

Health and Saftey nazis have stepped in this year and after thirty years of no injuries have upped the cost with their additional requirments to a level so now the town can only afford two displays this year.

• Options
    Certainly agree with you I saw Pouso play, brilliant time of year to go, quick sit on the pier, pint and pub meal in the tartar frigate, followed by a nice brisk walk along the prom and finishing off in Morrelli's.
  • Options

Certainly agree with you I saw Pouso play, brilliant time of year to go, quick sit on the pier, pint and pub meal in the tartar frigate, followed by a nice brisk walk along the prom and finishing off in Morrelli's.

Exactly, love it! Cant wait for this year now. Great atmosphere around the place.
  • Options
    http://www.visitthanet.co.uk/what-to-do/thedms_eat-and-drink.aspx?dms=11&browsetype=V&groupid=3&areaid=355&nd=All&ba=A
    the website.
    ex colleagues wife is the editor of isle magazine, which showcases and features events and events like the folk week, and pubs like the Dog and duck pub at plucks gutter, good traditional family pub with an excellent beer garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Dog_and_Duck_pub,_Plucks_Gutter.jpg
    I was down at Minnis bay on Monday and you can park free along the sea front, and walk along to reculver, and have a decent ice cream, drink, or meal at
    the Minnis , gets busy , but great views of the coast and you can eat outside......
    http://theminnis.com/

I have often thought of locating to this part of the world as several of my friends have, and probably Witstable/Minnis bay would be my choice.
    Broadstairs is full of day trippers, a bit like Greenwich of a weekend, so tend to go there out of season like October.
    Ramsgate has some great houses, especially over looking the harbour, in the squares, but needs a major injection of capital to regenerate the town, as off the main street the buildings need a lot of restoration. Friend of mine is restoring a large Victorian house outside Herne bay, away from the sea front he loves it down there.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Health and Saftey nazis have stepped in this year and after thirty years of no injuries have upped the cost with their additional requirments to a level so now the town can only afford two displays this year.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Broadstairs Town Council is borrowing hundreds of thousands to spend on a controversial community centre, so I am sure it could afford to follow proper process for fireworks if it chose to support them. It gets £30k from the district council to support local events, despite the district Tories trying to cut the events budget to ribbons before we replaced them last December. Ramsgate is managing to do it.
  • Options
    broadstairs is lovely. many a happy afternoon spent at lilyputt with adam jnr.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012

Ramsgate has some great houses, especially over looking the harbour, in the squares, but needs a major injection of capital to regenerate the town, as off the main street the buildings need a lot of restoration.

Absolutely - unfortunately it has suffered from a KCC and TDC focus on Margate, which is fully understandable given the issues there, but means Ramsgate hasn't been the top priority for either council.

Parts of Ramsgate are very deprived by any standards - other than parts of Margate and Cliftonville. A major issue has been the Pleasurama amusement site on Ramsgate seafront, which when resolved should have a knock-on benefit for the rest of the town, and hopefully we are close to a deal that will get that redeveloped by the private sector within two years.
  • Options
    I want to move to Kingsdown when i get a little older (not long now). Love it down there, nice and peaceful and good pubs and walks. Also the option of Deal down the road if you want more places to eat/drink.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    nothing wrong with the place, im sure its nicer than most parts of kent or London.
  • Options

Thank God for that! Looks like it was just a stupid time to go then. Hopefully we'll have an indian summer and I can go down there after the school holidays.

It's my birthday in September so as I've booked the day off we are hoping the same Leroy so we can take ours back down there. Can't wait
  • Options
    Yes I had heard that you had relocated to Thanet airman. I have great affection for the area, probably based on great holidays when I was a kid.
    The period property and squares are great examples, and I think with the Marina it really has a great potential for the future, I hope that it has the vision to develop a good investment /business start up scheme, a bit like the one they have in Folkestone. I can quite understand the need for the investment in Margate, and hopefully Ramsgate will regenerate with a properly planned development and expansion for the future.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Anyone seen Dover lately!!

Went there yesterday, the castle is a brilliant day out but i think it's a harsh to slag the the town. It's a working port with high unemployment, hardly a seaside day out.
  • Options
    Yes Dover is a bit suspect walked from Deal along the white cliffs stopping in Kingsdown and St Margarets and then you get to Dover and you think what on earth!
  • Options
    Tell a lie, Dover was wednesday, Walmer Castle yesterday.
    Whose was the baby at Walmer Castle yesterday in a Charlton shirt? when i mentioned it to the lady pushing the pram she said has it!!
  • Options

I live in Broadstairs and it is a lovely safe town with great local people and a real community. One visit and it is a shithole eh? perhaps you mean the odd time when it is 27 degrees and lowlife from other parts of the country visit.

You tell them;)

• Options
    I lived in Thanet, more specifically Broadstairs a couple of years ago. Broadstairs is a lovely traditional seaside town with some of best beaches in Britain. Think Botnay Bay is in the top 10?

However there is a lot of weirdos, mostly around Margate and Ramsgate though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like a day out in Deal having a mooch about along Middle Street and Beach Street in the conservation area. Lots of interesting, historical properties. Always try to get in a pint of Guinness, seafood, bag of chips and a 99. The Royal Hotel does a lovely Sunday lunch.
  • Options
    If its got "crazy-golf" its good enough for Me.
  • Options
    With you Pelham123 I would move down to Deal in a heartbeat but I cannot convince Mrs. Addick. Broadstairs is also very nice I could live in North Foreland as well with no problems
  • Options
    A friend of mine moved to Deal late last year and she's loving it down there.
  • Options
    Now I am jealous Saga
  • Options

WTF happened to it? Used to love going there when i was a kid - it was a lovely place. Went there today on a day trip and it's just as much of a shithole as Margate is now. Like someone multipied the casts of Cocoon, TOWIE, Gippo Wedding and the Football Factory by 1000 and let 'em all loose there. I almost wept as I was walking back to my car.

Probably full of Londonners on day trips, people say the same about Hastings, it has it's problems...same as anywhere else but after spending most my life in SE London and NW Kent I can honestly say I'd sooner be bye the sea then any where else in SE England.
  • Options
    The Mrs is from Sheerness. Every time I jokingly slag it off her mum tells me that it's us south Londoners that ruined it.
  • Options
    Went down to Botany Bay today - lovely. We normally go along to Joss Bay but thought we'd try it out for a change.

Up to the Captain Digby for a bit of grub afterwards then back home again.

A really good day out with the kids - thoroughly recommend it.
  • Options
    Went the other weekend with the little Uns was one if the nicest days out as a family we have had

Cost next to nothing spent virtually the whole day in the sea with an 11 yr old and a two and half year old

Knowing full well that like the wife and myself and my mum who came with us

That broad stairs will hold such happy memories for them

Every single one of us went home with a smile on our face that lasted days

Just wish the weather in England allowed for more day trips to the beach

It is still a beautiful English seaside town

Punch and judy

Crabbing

Swimming

Sandcastles

Old fashioned swing rides and a helter skelter

Only thing that was missing was the big yellow RAF sea king that used to fly over there all the time

And the red arrows

Great great place would highly recommend it to everyone
  • Options
    Proper old english sea-side town. Not been for about 10 years (really should, as it's not too far).