Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Washing Machine - Any Recommendations?

edited July 2012 in Not Sports Related
After two and a bit years (so it's infuriatingly just out of warranty) our "old" machine has packed up. We bought a Bosch, because we thought it would be more reliable but it doesn't seem to have been. Anyone got and recommendations for a replacement?

Comments

• Options
    Get in touch with Bosch - should last much longer than that (or the retailer - if John Lewis anyway)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I've used Bosch and Hotpoint and have had no issues with either, apart from expected wear and tear etc..

Also, advice I have been given to extend the life of a washing machine is;
    1. Use washing powder - not washing liquids, which gloop up the machine
    2. If in hrd water area, de scale regularly. Engineer recommended Soda crystals, rather than Calgon which costs alot and needs to be added to every wash in order to work. He suggested Soda Crystals once a month. I've used another washing machine de-scale product, as I was concerned that Soda Crystals could effect the metal, but thats probably just me worrying. Apply by running a hot washing programme on empty.
    3. I also have a limescale preventer screwed onto the pipe which the washing machine cold water hose also connects to. Depending on what you read, they either work or the whole concept is load of bull. I dont know, but no harm in fitting one as it wont make it worse.
  • Options
    would always recommend Hotpoint. Have had about 3 in over 25 years, current one still going strong after 11 years.
  • Options
    Stig before you do anything check your statutory rights under the consumer protection laws as I am certain there is protection under what is termed as "Reasonable expected working life" which 2.5 years certainly isn't. By the way I had a Bosch dishwasher that died in under 4 years and would never buy another one.

• Options
    Miele are very good.
  • Options
    Surely a post for 'netmums.com' ?
  • Options
    I've been told by engineers that the old machines used to last a good number of years. Washing machines bought today last 5 years max if you are lucky..
  • Options
    Try and get one with big tits
  • Options
    Bosch, Siemens, Neff and Gaggenau are all from the same huge manufacturer. Their stuff is broadly the same kit with a different brand name stuck on it.
    Miele is still a family owned business.
    For what it's worth, Mrs cafcfan tells me we have a Bosch washing machine which is running fine and has been for many years.
    By the way, fixing washing machines and dishwashers is really not that difficult. A firm called espares includes videos on its website showing how to do the basic fixes and, of course, they will also sell you the parts. Do you really need a new one?
    espares.co.uk
  • Options
    Yes, there was a programme on the Discovery Channel a little while ago in which engineers had to select the best engineered products. One selected washing machines- not because they are particularly amazing, but how they have been designed to work perfectly for a couple of years then go wrong in 2-4 years depending on use. Apparently this is quite difficult to achieve -it is easier to build one that will last, which is why you hear stories of old washing machines lasting over 20 years.

I understand that one make is pretty much like another in this respect so you are probably best going cheap!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Try Mr Papadopoulos, E20.
  • Options
    Miele, if your a bit flush.
    We had an AEG for about 7 years, wernt to bad. We bought a integrated Siemens washer/dryer last year. Not as good quality as the old AEG Lavamat or the Miele but it was he best we could afford.
  • Options
    AEG kit was good. The firm no longer exists unfortunately. The brand name rights were acquired by Electrolux.
  • Options
    Should just buy an insurance policy - we pay 6 quid a month for replacement cover on any 3 named items of kitchen goods - washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, dish washer etc.
    They basically repair it at your house and if they cannot fix it you get a brand new one.
  • Options
    Asked a washing machine engineer this a couple of years back when he came to fix out old hotpoint. He said miele or the bosch machines that are manufactured in germany not the far east. Bought a miele and, though expensive , we've not regretted it
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    When you say packed up, how? Our Hotpoint packed up only last week and it was about year and a half old. The repair man lifted the bottom and cleaned the filter out containing kiddies toys and coins. Cost me £45 basically to clear the filter but machine is now working as good as new. Perhaps, its something minor that needs sorting.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. As much as we'd like to be able to afford a Meile, that was out of the question. Based on our experiences of machines going wrong very quickly and Muttley's argument about built in obsolescence, we went to the other extreme and bought the cheapest in in the shop. Well not quite the cheapest because Beko is tainted by its association with Millwall, but for about half the price of a Meile we got an Indesit with a five year guarantee.

Some tips I learned elsewhere on the web:

- Within any given brand you don't get better build quality by paying extra, just extra features and/or better looks.
    - Ugly machines tend to perform better than pretty ones (something to do with where the development and manufacturing costs go).
    - Needing a fast spin speed is a myth. 1600s don't dry any better than 1200s.
  • Options
    Disgraceful. Marriage used to be for life.
  • Options
    :-)
  • Options
    Good call Stiggie we always buy basic appliances features normally = problems
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get a Miele. Excellent.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Repeat what everyone else says - get a Miele. It will work out cheaper in the long run and they're built like Tiger Tanks.

Get as big a machine as you can - a lot are only 6kg. If you have a family then an 8kg machine should suffice.

Two years spent as a house husband :-(
  • Options
    I sell a lot of Bosch Neff Siemens and always recommend them over Hotpoint Electrolux etc etc even Mielle and Gagg' Bosch usually last years...without tempting fate we are on our 2nd Bosch WM in 24 yrs years, current one 6 yrs + and performs like new. ( Bet the f'kin thing 'll go on the blink now I've said that!)

The Bosch Neff Siemens wet products are pretty much identical across the ranges. As others have suggested I would recommend getting in touch with Bosch Customer Service and explain it is only just out of warranty period and can they help.

• Options
    Last machine was a Hotpoint that was forever going wrong so purchased a Miele with a free 10 year guarantee. Expensive but if you work out the cost over 10 years and not too bad. My wife also raves over the end result of the washing
  • Options

Disgraceful. Marriage used to be for life.

Perhaps a good servicing once a year will keep things fresh.
  • Options
    The availability of Bosch spare parts for any of their products is, in my opinion, better than any other manufacturer.
    Last week I repaired my mothers 14 year old oven. Ordered a new inner door Monday delivered free of charge Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I currently have a Hotpoint washer/dryer, but prior to this had Zanussi twice. The dryer part of my Hotpoint has packed up but still washes. When it was working, the dryer on the Hotpoint was never as good as the Zanussi.
  • Options
    Well I'm very happy with our Hotpoint washer. When we had our kitchen done I decided on mostly Hotpoint appliances and they're all still going strong.
  • Options
    Quite honestly it's a white goods lottery.
  • Options
    We have an LG steam washing machine. Very quiet, very economical