Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonjo Shelvey

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    He’s had a great career, 250+ appearances in the top flight and capped by his country is better than most players end up with.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Brilliant? How would you rate it out of 10?
    10 being what? Lampard, Gerrard, Shearer, Ronaldo? 

I'd say 7 out of 10, impactful, exciting cult hero. Made things happen not a stereotypical academy product.

I'm not entirely into splitting hairs over words, you are allowed to disagree and say he was shit, never rated him and I'm allowed to strongly disagree, makes football and the world beautiful 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Carter said:
    mendonca said:

I'd say 7 out of 10, impactful, exciting cult hero. Made things happen not a stereotypical academy product.

I'm not entirely into splitting hairs over words, you are allowed to disagree and say he was shit, never rated him and I'm allowed to strongly disagree, makes football and the world beautiful 
    I personally think that liverpool move kind of hurt him a bit early on because people were trying to measure him against Gerrard - when really (ironically) he was a bit of a Bowyer - a baller with an edge. 

I dunno maybe i'm off base but just how i've always seen him particularly when he found his home at Newcastle. I don't think its a coincidence that they both ended up there and did well and were well liked.

Surprised Leeds never went in for him at some point as well (I guess they were down with us in league 1 at the time)
  • Options
    Carter said:
    mendonca said:

I personally think that liverpool move kind of hurt him a bit early on because people were trying to measure him against Gerrard - when really (ironically) he was a bit of a Bowyer - a baller with an edge. 

I dunno maybe i'm off base but just how i've always seen him particularly when he found his home at Newcastle. I don't think its a coincidence that they both ended up there and did well and were well liked.

Surprised Leeds never went in for him at some point as well (I guess they were down with us in league 1 at the time)
    Yeah hindsight and all that, although to be honest training and being around someone like Gerrard who played the game in a very similar way would have been too good to pass up and I totally understand him making that choice, I do see the Bowyer comparison as well. Talk to anyone who played with or against Lee Bowyer and they will tell you he was a class act midfielder, I really wish we had gone all out to sign him again when Parker left us in the shit. He was never going to sign for West Ham or Tottenham and he was definitely not a Wenger player I reckon Ferguson had loads of respect for him after Jonjo gave an honest assessment of his character in the game he got sent off but that would have been a hard sell. I know Swansea fans adored him as did Newcastle fans, Forest, he was never going to get on with Steve Cooper. Leeds last season would have been a great move indeed their fans would have lapped him up, Bielsa wouldn't have gone near him though 

• Options
    Is he Jewish? Just wondered how the hell he didn’t go to Saudi Arabia on massive wages with all the other washed up has beens. ( I always liked him though ). The only person I’ve ever seen who claps with his wrists. 
  • Options
    Had a good career at the top level and considering he was playing men's football at 16, has done well to play 15 years in mainly the Premier since leaving Cafc. 
    His career tailed off in the last 18 months but he is set up for life and should be able earn plenty more in the next 2 to 3 years fitness allowing, in the League's that love the over 30's that are just a tad over the hill.

• Options
    Jonjo after 3 months in Turkey (sent from my Forest mate)
    Alexei smertin 
  • Options
    jonjo has had a decent career but it could have been so much better if he just got out of his own way.  He has had a falling out with many of the managers he has played for, the reckless challenges in bad areas of the pitch, unnecessary cards, trying the hollywood pass when the simple one would do.  If he just had more personal discipline, he could have been performing at highest level.  That being said, he is probably the most talented kid to come out of our academy in the last twenty years and I hope he does well in Turkey
  • Options
    Carter said:
    mendonca said:

I see what you did there 😂
  • Options
    31 is not old for a footballer and I wouldn't call him over the hill. 

The forest move didn't work out because he didn't get on with the manager, these things happen. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonjo after 3 months in Turkey (sent from my Forest mate)
    Alexei smertin 
    More like a bird from the millers 
  • Options
    Great pace on that strike.
  • Options
    Excellent from Jonjo and Çaykur Rizespor are the Turkish delight who benefited from Shelvey's ambition of an up and under from the half way line.
    I remember he tried that for Cafc at the valley and I thought the ball ended up on the top of the net 🤔