Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Charlton hire a new Cook....

A warm welcome to The Valley for Jordan Cook. @DartfordAddick dons his whites to get the lowdown on Charlton's first new recruit of the summer....

-------------------

Jordan Cook
Age – 22
Height – 5ft 9 (1.75M)
Place of birth – Sunderland
Position(s) – Versatile Striker / Wide man

The local Sunderland boy came through the youth ranks at the Black Cats before being released on the 19th May 2012. The young attacker debuted for Sunderland on Boxing Day 2010 against Manchester United.

Background:

Cook failed to make an impact at Sunderland, and has had 3 loan spells away from his parent club. The most successful spell was his most recent with Carlisle, where he played against the Addicks in the 1-0 victory which sealed our promotion to The Championship. In total, he also scored 4 goals in 14 appearances for Carlisle.

Other spells included a short stint at Darlington, where Cook unfortunately sustained a cruciate knee ligament injury which limited his stay with The Quakers to only 5 appearances. Following rehabilitation, he was sent on loan to Walsall, scoring once in eight appearances. During his stay with The Saddlers he also featured against Charlton, hitting the post in the process.

Style:

Quick footed, skilful with both feet, and seemingly prepared to take on opponents. Tthe young attacker, who has played out up front, out wide or behind the striker, could prove to be a real asset to Charlton if he is able to step up and scare defenders at a higher level. Perhaps not necessarily an all-out trickster, but he seems to want to use his pace and energy to get through opposing defences. Cook appears to have a good delivery and get into attacking positions, although for a striker his scoring record so far hasn't been prolific.

What they say: *

- “He's really quick and skilful. Scored some excellent goals for us. Bags of potential. Not the finished article. Really good signing.” (Carlisle supporter)

- “Can play up top, second striker or out wide. Can't remember his footage pal. Although I think he's two footed.” (Carlisle supporter)

- “Pity about him really.......thought he would make the grade when I watched him for the first few times, then (and I can vouch for this personally but won't divulge how) he became too up his own arse and the fame (in his own head) got to him.....as it has with others I have to admit, and I am not just picking him out.” (Sunderland supporter)

- “He probably won't get 20 goals a season but will certainly make a decent contribution. Good luck to him” (Carlisle supporter)

Overall

The signing itself looks similar to the signing of Smith and Bover twelve months ago; players Chris Powell feels he and his staff can mould into successful players, and aim to utilize these potential talents to allow the steady progress of the playing staff to continue.

People may be worried about the attitude problem, although it is worth noting we signed players who other clubs supporters might brand ‘bad egg’ but have shown great character and no (known) issues here in SE7. Personally have faith that Powell has secured a player of potential real quality.

Welcome aboard Mr Cook.

*Quotes from Twitter and Readytogo.net

Comments

• I think Cook will be ahead of Bover and Smith in the playing stakes, he's 22 so a couple of years older than them two. I'd hope he can make an impact on the team almost straight away whether it be starting or from the bench.
  • Is that recent pic ? He looks about 12 !

Be interesting to see how Bover has progressed this pre-season
  • If he is half as good as the last 'local Sunderland boy' we had up front, I'll be well happy!
  • That's Cookie in his Carlisle strip last season, se9.
  • If he is half as good as the last 'local Sunderland boy' we had up front, I'll be well happy!
    Martyn Waghorn ?
    That's Cookie in his Carlisle strip last season, se9.
    Maybe I'm just getting older !
  • Agree with @Mike - he's already made a decent impact in League 1 and is 22. I expect he'll regularly be on the bench, if not close to it.

Be interesting to see what his best positions turns out to be. Not a bad goalscoring record at Carlisle for an attacking midfielder.

FM has him down as a right footed winger that can also play comfortably up front and on the left wing. Good left foot with reasonable pace and skill. Will see if I can find anything more out from the Sunderland and Carlisle researchers.
  • sorry, but totally underwelmed if you ask me !1 Doesn't strike me as someone who will get you 15/20 goals a season & help get you promoted. When Brighton got promoted out of League 1they went and bought Mackail Smith, Norwich bought Morrison from Millwall & Southampton bought Lambert.
  • Lambert already at Southampton but its a reasonble point I suppose, I think we just maybe view it differently, I see it as a free transfer worth the punt, low risk and potentially very good in the mid/long term.
  • Good article and I like the format.

hope this will be a regular feature.
  • sorry, but totally underwelmed if you ask me !1 Doesn't strike me as someone who will get you 15/20 goals a season & help get you promoted. When Brighton got promoted out of League 1they went and bought Mackail Smith, Norwich bought Morrison from Millwall & Southampton bought Lambert.
    Morison signed for Norwich 12 months ago when they were promoted, Lambert signed for Saints when they were in L1.

As for Cook, he is probably not here to be the main goalscorer or maybe even automatic first choice to start with, but is young and got some good attributes, looking forward to seeiming him in pre season and you never know, out of all the 20+ signings last season, there were quite a few who underwelmed a few and the vast majority worked out so let's see where Powell sees him. The 7 subs rule will help Cook aswell.

• Sponsored links:

But that won't be the only players they bought that summer will it ? This seems like a development signing, maybe our 15/20 goal a season player is still to come.
  • Also Cook can play a couple of postions and seems to be adaptable to a few formations, will cover Jackson if we do not bring in another out and out left midfielder or winger. Seems to be a postive signing.
  • edited July 2012
    Well, Golfie ......evidently Chris Powell is not totally underwhelmed by the signing of Cook.

In SCP we trust, as they say.

;o)
  • Kermorgant, BWP, Haynes and Cook. Given Cook is fairly inexperienced would SCP be happy with those four ? Not sure I am. I wonder if Schlupp rumours are true ?
  • Don't forget Hayes is still in the building. And Clarke hasn't gone anywhere just yet.
  • Let's just say that Cook is the squad replacement for Jason Euell.
  • sorry, but totally underwelmed if you ask me !.
    lol, i reckon Clem will be underwhelmed as well Golfie !!

Me, no idea. Don't remember seeing him play so will wait until we do.

strange
  • Kermorgant, BWP, Haynes and Cook. Given Cook is fairly inexperienced would SCP be happy with those four ? Not sure I am. I wonder if Schlupp rumours are true ?
    Sounds like he's more of a winger. So for now it's 4 with Hayes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's replaced (but would need to be a similar type of player, not Schlupp).
    Sounds like he's more of a winger. So for now it's 4 with Hayes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's replaced (but would need to be a similar type of player, not Schlupp).
    don't forget about Clarke.

• Sponsored links:

• Seems inconceivable that we will be keeping both Green and Waggy after signing Cook and Wilson.
  • I'd like to forget about Clarke.
    Seems inconceivable that we will be keeping both Green and Waggy after signing Cook and Wilson.
    Powell again said he wants two for each position. So at the moment we have Solly and Wilson for RB, Jackson and Cook for LM, Green and Waggy for RM?
  • Really like this type of talent scouting and speculating to accumulate strategy. Youngish, started doing some good things at Carlisle, but not quite good enough to make the cut for a Premiership side just yet - a big welcome.

Linvoy Primus, Matt Elliott, Michael Turner etc etc. About time we were the ones trying to spot young talent elsewhere with a view ro developing it.

Really hope this lad comes in and develops into something great. Won't be expecting too much any time soon though.
    Seems inconceivable that we will be keeping both Green and Waggy after signing Cook and Wilson.
    Powell again said he wants two for each position. So at the moment we have Solly and Wilson for RB, Jackson and Cook for LM, Green and Waggy for RM?
    Agree with the thrust of that but I suspect Wilson will be playing and if Solly stays it will be at the expense of either Green or Waggy ?
  • As I had never heard of him, I asked my 11 son who straight away informed me he was a winger who was alright. That'll do for me. Golfie were you underwhelmed with Kermi when we signed him last season.
  • im quite glad he's underwhelmed with him actually. dont think ive ever agreed with anything he's ever said.
  • This lad was different class when we played at Carlisle when he went off they lost momentum, he was a constant thorn in our side. I would like to think he will be as underwhelming as Kermogant's signing,hungry energetic I am delighted we have him on board. Let's judge a player when he as for us afterall
  • We've only really got a sadly injury-prone Jackson on the left and Cook can come in and kick on as his understudy. He'll also offer something a bit different off the bench, injecting pace and direct running in place of Jacko's slower passing game. I'm pleased to have him
  • edited July 2012
    Sounds like he might make a fifth or sixth striker.

But some sympathy with Golfie's point. You can be overwhelmed or underwhelmed, depending on how full/empty you habitually view the glass. But I doubt there's a single one of us can claim it constitutes the statement of intent we were looking for?

I still think we need another left footer to Jacko even if it means signing Lee Cook unless it is felt Bover or Harriott could be ready.

Does anyone know if we have any triallists reporting for training ?