Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Wilson Heads Into the Valley

Charlton completed their second signing of the day on Monday when they confirmed the capture of Lawrie Wilson from Stevenage for an undisclosed fee.

Wilson started his career at Charlton Athletic, and played regularly for the club's Under-18 side and reserve team until he was released in 2006. He was a notable figure in Stevenage's push for promotion last year, playing both play-off games against Sheffield United. Wilson grabbed six goals last term as he excelled out on the right hand side, playing all 56 of the clubs games.

Powell admitted that he has been an admirer of Wilson for a while and said "He brings us good quality ". The midfielder was held in the highest regard at his former employers, and has left the club to seek pastures new in the Championship with League One champions Charlton.

What can Charlton fans expect from him?

As the statistics show, Wilson is a reliable player to have in the team and his versatility is demonstrated by the fact that he can operate at both right midfield and act as cover for right back. As well as this, Wilson is known for his high energy levels, something that was ever present in the title winning side last season.

The Statistics:

Stevenage 2009/10 - 13 appearances and 2 goals
Stevenage 2010/11 - 50 appearances and 5 goals
Stevenage 2011/12 - 56 appearances and 6 goals

By Alex Stedman - http://theendofthedayfootball.blogspot.co.uk/

Comments

• edited July 2012
    So it isn't the goals - what is it that he does - good crosses, holding play up, creative? defensive? wasn't exactly what you might call tracking the newtown borough last year, any memories of him anyone? I mean, good for Sir Chris, but "brings us good quality"? I hope he wouldn't bring in anyone of whom he could sy "he's a bit sh*t, but I thought I'd give him a go". Apart from Leon Clarke obviously.
  • From what I have seen he's very good at breaking play up, taking it back up the pitch and distributing it well. He's quite attacking, but he can handle himself at the back as well, quite similar to Wiggins, though probably not as 'dynamic' or as 'exciting'. His crossing isn't amazing, but Solly isn't known for his killer balls tbh. One thing I have picked up is his fitness, it seems Wagstaff may have a challenger this season, he can run all day and all night if he has to
  • Now that sounds like CP. Thanks.
  • Now that sounds like CP. Thanks.
    Powell wasnt quoted as saying this on the OS, i believe its Sam's personal view. Maybe i could have included more from Powell. Was a quick article, but would appreciate it if it didnt get slated in that way!
  • Very energetic, caused us problems at their place.
  • Good article...

I'm encouraged by this signing. Similar to last season's mould of signings... good age, versatile and one of another club's better players.
  • Energy is definitely what we need in the side.
  • Very versatile-during the first half of our home match with Stevenage, he seemed to play up front, right back and right wing. Only concern being that he didn't look great in any of them and didn't impress in the few times I saw Stevenage beyond that game.

In SCP we trust though and he knows much better than me......
  • Played well against Spurs I thought.
    This. As far as my Spurs fans were concerned he was the stand out player in their games.
  • Sponsored links:

• SCP said he'd been tracking him throughout last season.

No doubt made a big 1st impression on SCP when we played Stevenage away when Wilson was MoM - and had him watched several times thereafter.

Remember, a consistent thread in many of SCP's signings, has been an outstanding performance as opponents.
  • If he managed to play all 56 games in a league as attrittionnal as league one and in a side as physical as Stevenage he's certainly not lacking in fitness, strength or physicality
  • His crossing is pretty good. He's energetic, strong, can tackle, great at winning the ball back and taking it away from danger, giving the team respite when the opposition are having a strong spell of play. It wouldn't surprise me if he and Solly end up playing most of the games together as first choice pairing down the right hand side, in spite of what CP said about him being competition for Solly.
  • Had a very good game against us at Stevenage. He struck me as a John Robinson type. Lots of energy and commitment and not short of ability either. Not a better wide man than Robinson but definitely a better right back!! (remember those days?)
  • edited July 2012
    Just under 400k according to the SLP.
  • he wears an alice band fellas, so must be a poofta?%~}>
  • Living just down the road from Stevenage I know quite a few fans. Having spoken to a couple this morning they say he's very reliable , can play in a few positions and Stevenage are going to miss him but he has one Achilles Heel. - crossing .
    They say his crossing has always let him down.
    Hopefully our coaches can deal with that.
  • I think he's just what Charlton need. Right sided midfielder, playmaker, good vision and first touch. From what I saw virtually every time Stevenage went forward it was through him last year. I remember watching the play off Semi & saying to my pal if Stevenage didn't make it then he's the one player in the division I'd like to see us go for.
  • edited July 2012
    Now that sounds like CP. Thanks.
    Powell wasnt quoted as saying this on the OS, i believe its Sam's personal view. Maybe i could have included more from Powell. Was a quick article, but would appreciate it if it didnt get slated in that way!
    What the f are you talking about? I'm not slating anything, but "Powell admitted that he has been an admirer of Wilson for a while and said "He brings us good quality ". " looks like a quote to me, who said anything about the OS?

Thanks for the article anyway, I thought it was fine and I don't really know what you're getting touchy about.

Solly.

• edited July 2012
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/Wilson_The_Volleyball.jpg

He's been in film too. Football through and through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevenage FM researcher on Wilson:
    "Yep Lawrie will definitely do a good job for you guys in the Championship. When we signed him it was as a right back who could also play in centre mid but we gradually changed him into a winger/right mid. To be fair Powell is probably correct in that Lawrie's crossing has been found out at the higher level and he could be better used in a more defensive role albeit an attacking full back position. Lawrie's very versatile and has played in a lot of positions for us including left back and left wing on occasions when needed. I've chatted to him a few times in my role as prog editor at the Boro and always found him to be a polite and friendly bloke and an ideal team player. Be careful not to get him mixed up with the ex Burton midfielder Laurie Wilson which a lot of fans do.

Away from on the field activities you may remember that when Frank Lampard split up with Elen Rives she found solace with young Lawrie and the big papers all assumed he was her new "Latin Lothario" before they found out who he really was. The rest of the squad and the fans didn't let him forget that for a while!! :-)

The very best of luck for next season, I like Chris P and you guys were very sporting last season unlike a few of the more Yorkshire based teams including those with a manager called Clark! :-)"
  • It seems that every player that leaves from the academy has "Unfinished business" branded on their arse.

Maybe we should start tattooing the kids with "Property of Charlton Athletic" just in case they're found wandering around a pitch and playing quite well..................................

Just shows really that the club has produced some pretty decent players who were unfortunate to come through when we were a premier club.
  • Thanks Scoham, nice to get such informed opinion on Wilson & Cook.
  • His current missus is an absolute piiiiiiiiiece as well.
  • edited July 2012
    His current missus is an absolute piiiiiiiiiece as well.
    Post a picture! Giggity Giggity!
  • Apparently he was playing with a hernia at the end of last season -
    This. As far as my Spurs fans were concerned he was the stand out player in their games.
    He was excellent against us. Did wonder if he'd get a bigger move as a result and so it has proved.

• I do remember reading in why England lose a section about player's that stand out because of how they look rather than how they perform. I believe the author argues that blonde players are sub-conciously popular with managers because they stand out other over players. Of course I'm not saying our scouts would be enticed by Wilson's flowing locks and I have the upmost respect for their talent spotting abilities just find it interesting everyone mentioning how well he played in the Spurs game.
  • After the Stevenage FM researcher's comments above, can I be the first to suggest a chant of 'Latin Lothario' to the tune of Hermann Hreidarsson/we've got our Charlton back?

Either that, or 'There's only two Laurie Wilsons'.
  • Thanks Scoham, nice to get such informed opinion on Wilson & Cook.