Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Army reorganisation - England stuffed again or not ?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2012
    The cuts were inevitable its what happens, as we come out of a period of high tempo ops the powers that be reduce the numbers, whats important is that there remains a flexible platform to expand the army if required within its current structure.

We are the same size now as we were post Waterloo and pre Crimea I think and a slightly smaller than the BEF that went to France in 1914 with less global territory to police.

Whats reassuring is how quickly we adjust, there was hell to pay when the Worcestors amalgamated with the Sherwood Forresters a few years back, then again when the Cheshires joined them to create the Mercian Regiment, they are one of the most respected in the Army these days. It would be lovely to think small army less wars, not a reality sadly, wasnt it 1968 the last year that we didnt loose one of our armed forces in conflict?
    It does rather beg the question of why do we need our armed forces for?

We no longer have an Empire to police, we are unlikely to be invaded or threatened with the same so other than protecting our shipping and a few outposts such as Gib and the Falklands do we need a large standing Army, Navy and Air Force?

Should we be so willing to send a larger percentage of the total NATO troops/planes/ships to "police" actions in Serbia or wars in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Our forces have a wonderful and IMHO fully deserved reputation for excellence.

On the other hand times change and sometime in the future we may need a well trained and equipped military.

But if that is the case why don't Germany or Japan (I accept there are historical reasons why neither has large armies) or Sweden or Italy have the same level of commitment and spending?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/03/defence_budgets

• Further to what Henry just said - If we had a European Army it would be pretty difficult to ever have a war between two European nations again.

From what I hear, there were a couple that were really bad.
  • 100 years war went on for quite a long time as did the 30 years war. They were bad
  • Further to what Henry just said - If we had a European Army it would be pretty difficult to ever have a war between two European nations again.

From what I hear, there were a couple that were really bad.
    Great line!
  • In all honesty, I think if we scrapped Trident - a system that has failed if you actually use it - we could afford not to make most of the cuts.