Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP John Yarnton.

John was a stalwart at the training ground for many, many years. Charlton through and through. RIP old fella.

Comments

• Options
    I never had the pleasure but RIP John. Always sad when we have one less Addick.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Oh dear.
    Lovely lovely man, knew him pretty well, especially a few years back in the early Gritt/Curbs days.
    very sad indeed.
    RIP John
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    very sad news

RIP John
  • Options

I'm almost 100% certain that Garry Nelson mentions him in his book.

RIP John
  • Options
    Heard early this morning.

John was a real character, proper diamond, and good friend to my wifes family.

Had a real rapport with a lot of the youngsters making their way.through the ranks over the years, and there will be a lot disappointed ex players on hearing this.

Rest in piece John, and give the ref a proper verbal from that stand in the sky.
  • Options
    Sad news
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad news indeed, RIP.
  • Options
    A well known face at The Valley for many a year....a real character and a 100% Addick to the very end.
    RIP John old son....RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP John. Again i donn't him personally and I think you are right LenGlover... which is where I heard the name from. If anyone has a photo of him could they post it on here pls.. I am sure he is one of those people I know face but cant put a name on him ...
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Rudders, its now on the OS with a picture

http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2827846,00.html
  • Options
    Thanks AFKA Bartram......
  • Options
    Have known John for many years and he's a true Charlton 'supporter' legend. RIP John. Gone but not forgotten.
  • Options
    Vary sad news, one of the good guys. RIP John
  • Options
    RIP SAD NEWS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP recognise him God Bless
  • Options
    Very sad. I ran into him in December when I did the interview on Charlton Live. He recognised me even though it must have been 20 years. I can't tell you what a lift that little encounter gave me. I came away thinking that John as much as any supporter epitomises everything we love about the Charlton tribe; a tribe which has lost one of its great elders...
  • Options
    Glad the club gave him a special last season - R.I.P.
  • Options
    Now I've seen his smiling face on the OS, I remember him .

Bless you, John - reunited with Barbara.
  • Options
    I knew John reasonably well and he was always a delight. A cheerful infectous personality who always seemed pleased to see you. He played football with my Dad and the pair of them loved talking about the old days. He always blamed my Dad for his cauliflower ear which he siad he got when my Dad caught him coming for a cross and taking both John and the ball. Last saw him a few weeks ago at QEH and he did not seem too bad but you never could tell with John who never complained. When he was at the training ground at Sparrows Lane every one liked him and treated him with respect even the directors. Farewell John R.I.P.
  • Options
    Rip John . Lovely human being , kind and funny. What a nice thing from the club to put that up as well.
  • Options
    John was a good friend to me, especially when I was working for the Mercury and wasn't always flavour of the month with the directors or particular players. He was always a welcoming presence at Sparrows Lane and loved getting the paper each week.

It was a rare sad note on December 5th 1992 that John missed the game after his seriously ill wife suffered a bad fall the previous night and indeed was thought by the club to have passed away. Sadly Barbara did die not long afterwards but It was some consolation that John survived to enjoy almost 20 years back at The Valley. The huge pleasure he took in that justified for me all the efforts made to get back there.

John was never afraid to voice his opinion and could get people's backs up as a result, but he had a heart of gold and there was never a more staunch supporter or loyal friend. He'll be sadly missed and fondly remembered.
  • Options
    Well said Airman.
  • Options
    That's a lovely tribute Airman. Sadly fot him one of the best days as a Charlton fan.... he was watching his beloved wife about to pass away... So sad
  • Options
    RIP, thoughts are with friends and family, God Bless xxx