Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonnie Jackson signs a contract extension

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012

But I'm not convinced if we have serious championship ambitions, he would be a first choice on my.teamsheet going forward. for the reasons I set out above, very much hope I'm wrong.

This. I wrote more but none of it gets us beyond the apposite musings of our CL gaffer so I've ditched it as life's too short...
  • Options
    Can't believe so many lifers think JJ is not good enough for the Championship.

How would this thread have looked if JJ had been sold to palarse or the scum ?

Everybody would be saying that the ship is sinking, and that we have lost a quality player and an excellent leader.

We have had some wishy-washy captains in our time, but our lads look up to Jacko, and that's what's going to matter next season.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

But I'm not convinced if we have serious championship ambitions, he would be a first choice on my.teamsheet going forward. for the reasons I set out above, very much hope I'm wrong.

This. I wrote more but none of it gets us beyond the apposite musings of our CL gaffer so I've ditched it as life's too short...
    Can't believe this.I am really not sure what some of you were expecting when the new board came in.Looks to me like your expectations were/are pretty high.I'd ask you to look again at Slaters very first interview as owner.
    If you'd said to me two years ago that on this day we would be re- signing our influential captain going into a CHAMPIONSHIP season I'd of chewed both your bloody arms off.

Be grateful you miserable sods!

• Options
    Great, so when we run out of cash, we can sell him to a league one club as its not good enough for the championship. :-€
  • Options

Anyone got any mirrors?

I love JJ, he'd got everything I wanted to see in a Charlton player last season.
  • Options
    I do wonder about the timing of the announcement. With all the speculation , it does feel a little bit like a deflection.
    spot on Beds !!! It is more interesting what is not said !! I would have expected after 2 months of inactivity in the matket for CP to say - "this is just the start of .....(insert number) of players were are hoping to sign up over the next few weeks" - even adding "but its hard getting deals over the line Blah blah blah, but rest assured we are working night & day to bring the right players in"

BUT NOTHING - the silence is deafening !!!!!!!1
    Not just at Charlton but that is across all clubs, with the Euro's finishing this weekend and most players contracts renewed on July 1st, things will start happening next week
    They will!
  • Options
    Monday will be the day, either we will see many new signings and we can all breath a sigh of relief, or we will truly see the extent of our clubs 'problems'.

Really pleased for JJ, he may not be the quickest player around, or have the highest workrate, but he is one of our most prominent game changers
  • Options
    -Insert joke about us being apparently poor-
    Great news for us though. Just need to get Kermo and Bradders tied down for me
  • Options
    I do wonder about the timing of the announcement. With all the speculation , it does feel a little bit like a deflection.
    spot on Beds !!! It is more interesting what is not said !! I would have expected after 2 months of inactivity in the matket for CP to say - "this is just the start of .....(insert number) of players were are hoping to sign up over the next few weeks" - even adding "but its hard getting deals over the line Blah blah blah, but rest assured we are working night & day to bring the right players in"

BUT NOTHING - the silence is deafening !!!!!!!1
    Not just at Charlton but that is across all clubs, with the Euro's finishing this weekend and most players contracts renewed on July 1st, things will start happening next week
    They will!
    Its not at all clubs your bloody deluded
  • Options
    As I said earlier in this thread. There have been no noteworthy signings by Championship clubs (excl relegated Prem clubs) - unless you count Mido (age 30, with 20 goals in 8 years), or the unproven guy from non-league Fleetwood.

CP said new faces would be in place for the Welling and Spanish games - so we will see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options

Can't believe this.I am really not sure what some of you were expecting when the new board came in.Looks to me like your expectations were/are pretty high.I'd ask you to look again at Slaters very first interview as owner.
    If you'd said to me two years ago that on this day we would be re- signing our influential captain going into a CHAMPIONSHIP season I'd of chewed both your bloody arms off.

Be grateful you miserable sods!

This. People got carried away with the idea that we were "minted" but there's never been an atom of evidence for it. Slater said football's no longer about spending millions, and I'm happy to take him at his word. All the evidence -- in what has actually been done -- is that the plan is one of organic growth, producing and developing good young players.
  • Options
    Pleased JJ signed an extension, think he will be good player to have as back up at left mid.
  • Options
    Pleasing news.

I think he is a better and cleverer player than he is sometimes given credit for. Not just his goals but his defending and anticipation of threats are very good. Because he is not "spectacular" in midfield I think his covering work and passing get overlooked sometimes.
  • Options
    JJ is one of them players you notice how good he is when he is missing.
  • Options
    Can't believe despite being drunk last night I managed to accurately spell ambiguity !

I'd add that along with his set piece delivery, the other key strength JJ brings to the side is his relationship with Wiggins. They seen very much in tune with each others game, and JJs positional solidity allows Wiggins to accentuate his strengths, getting forward on the overlap.

• Options
    Can't believe despite being drunk last night I managed to accurately spell ambiguity !

I'd add that along with his set piece delivery, the other key strength JJ brings to the side is his relationship with Wiggins. They seen very much in tune with each others game, and JJs positional solidity allows Wiggins to accentuate his strengths, getting forward on the overlap.

Then you go and ruin it by spelling 'seem' as 'seen' when you're sober. Dear me....;-)
  • Options
    How much you reckon he's on - 5k?
  • Options
    Good news. Last season we were quite better with him in the side:

• Options
    Nice one @Stig, love the analytical approach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Blimey mate you usually write good sense but can't agree with you here.

JJ strikes me as a real Charlton player - the sort who gives 100% every game, wants the club to do well and is just totally reliable. But throw in as well his all round ability, and undoubted skill from set pieces, and you've got a player who will easily hold his own in the Championship. In fact, I think he could be a top player in this Division.

If you'd said his injury record means that he is unlikely to play a full season and therefore we shouldn't be over-relying on him I could agree - seems fairly clear he has got a dodgy hamstring that is going to mean a fairly lengthy spell on the sidelines sometimes in the season. But that's a risk I for one think is more than compensated by his character and ability.
  • Options
    Fair points Fortune, hope you are right. I really like the guy
  • Options
    JJ's set pieces are crucial, and I'm sure Yann for one is very grateful to have him in the team!
  • Options
    If we were a different Championship club and signed Jackson or any one of our main players we would be hailing it as a great signing. It is a trait of many football fans that other team's players are better than there's - that is until they start playing for you. It is logical and sensible that the main objective is to see where this lot can take us and maybe add one or two but no more. A dynamic has been created that Powell won't want to mess with. Last season we needed a clear out, this season we do not and we do need to get our players signed up, happy and geared up for a real push next season. One or two quality additions and we will be buzzing.