Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ANFSCD: Would you take a £ job requiring you to sit in a pitch black room and do nothing 8hrs a day?

2»

Comments

• No, but you're free to make a mess lol

Remember, you can more, or exercise, but you must remain sitting for the period.
  • This job would be perfect for a mushroom.
  • I might do it, but I'd spend all of my waking hours outside of the room listening to The Mars Volta on full volume, while staring at a fire through a kaleidoscope. And eating lemons.
  • That's specifically ruled out in the contract ;-)
  • No. When I worked in an office I used to hate waiting for 1pm just go to lunch, and I was just on the internet all that time anyway. But in a dark room? No way.
  • Being kept in the dark ! Get yourselves over to the PV doom and gloom thread.
  • Was going to say yes, what a silly question, til somebody above pointed out no fag breaks. I assume its a non smoking building?
  • Wait, I think I saw this job advertised for greenwich council while I was there!
  • So is this a newly established post or has the previous incumbent been 1) promoted
    2) gone mad
    3) caught something nasty and retired on health grounds?
    I think we should be told!
  • This is the kind of challenge that at first sounds possible to accomplish but once you get thinking about it.........

I think that by the end of it you'd be spending the 30 grand a week either having a good time to make up for the brain numbing boredom 'at work', or on psychiatrist bills or drugs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not in a million years could I do it. I hate boredom and crave stimulation. I remember my Psychology degree at Uni where we learned about an experiment that sounded similar to this I recall. Done many years ago when there wasn't so many ethical restraints. After about a week, the participants were actually going mental.

You would go home and sit in darkness/go to sleep. I honestly don't think ANYONE could do it for ANY money in the world.
  • Honestly believe nobody would be able to do this without going insane in 3 to 4 weeks tops.
    But i'd have a good go.
  • 8 hours in pitch black would seem a lot longer. Not sure anyone could do this.
  • A day would feel like a week, a week like a month, a month like a year etc. No one could survive this job.
  • edited June 2012
    Would you accept a handsomely paid job offer, on footballer's pay of £30k/week, where you get paid to do nothing for 8 hours a day? Remember, you're on footballer's pay.

The job description is straightforward.

You are not allowed to bring anything with you. You are literally getting paid to do nothing and that is the point of employment.

Would I be right in thinking that this challenge is quite largely based on Nick Clegg's job description?
  • Is this an actual job for a russian lab ;)
  • No way...
  • the only way i could imagine handling it is if i somehow became a yogic master or some such who was capable of entering meditative trances for long periods
  • Isn't this why Winston Bogarde joined Chelsea?
  • yes, you could find enlightenment
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2012
    I'd absolutely do it. We learn the art of meditation during Tai Jutsu training.
  • It's impossible.
  • curious question Lookie

Is this some kind of psychological experiment? I think certain organisations use this type of sensory deprivation method as an interrogation tool.

I would fear for my mental health after a few hours.
  • Am I allowed to take drugs?
  • What was the point of the question Master?
  • Any truth in the rumour that this is what the board wanted Peter Varney to do from now on and he told them to stuff it?
  • Not much difference between this and doing nights at sainsburys so yes.
  • This is so weird, I was having a very similar discussion with someone at work the other day. I was trying to make the point that it was not all about the money, which he couldn't see at his ripe age of 19 (tbh neither could I). So I said but would you take a job for 100k doing nothing except sitting in a room for 8 hours a day? People's answers are interesting and your scenario is different because as people say you could retire after that year, but the number of people saying no proves that money means nothing if you're bored/unstimulated or just generally unhappy. I think you realise that the older you get.