Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Callum Davenport

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
We were linked to him in the Jan window. PHEW!!
West Ham spent nigh on £20m. We spent next to nothing and I wouldn't swap Thatcher, Song or Bogey for any of their buys!

Comments

• Options
    Davenport reminded me of Bambi...
  • Options
    I had Carl Tiler flashbacks
  • Options
    Spurs certainly saw them coming with that one!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Spurs certainly saw them coming with that one![/quote]

Spurs seemed to be offering him to quite a few clubs in the window.
  • Options
    Released by Westham, might be a decent punt on a free

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8573053.stm
  • Options
    Would have thought he would need months to get back fit after the stabbing,would be a decent league one cb but who knows if he will come back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Would have thought he would need months to get back fit after the stabbing,would be a decent league one cb but who knows if he will come back.
    Might take a lot of work to get back to the level he was, remember how awful Mark Fish was in the few games he played on his return from falling through the glass table?
  • Options
    When you've got Miguel Llera in defence might as well give anyone a go, I say give him an immediate trial and let him train with us what's the worst that could happen with that.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well we won't give him a trial if we know we can't afford his wages in the first place, must have been on decent money the last few years.
  • Options
    No harm letting him train with us, to see how far from fitness he is. Potentially an excellent player at well above this level, but god knows how his problems have affected us. At the moment his wages are nil, so it all depends on who is prepared to take a punt on him and what they're prepared to pay. I recall a while back to Premiership players; McKinlay and Summerbee playing for Leicester for free (when they were in their post-Taylor admin stage) on the grounds that they'd get released immediately if they got the chance of a club at a decent level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit of a stab in the dark all this?
  • Options
    Always rated him tbh. He needs to get fit and we need defenders.

Deffo worth a punt but out of our league I suspect
  • Options
    Got a lot of baggage seeing as he's on an assault charge against his sister. No PR-savvy football club will employ a suspected woman beater....

Plus he's risky anyway with the leg damage. Doubt anyone will sign him until after his trial, and even then he won't be earning anything near what he was at West Ham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Bit of a stab in the dark all this?
    Hahaha lol
  • Options
    His old man is a director at the company i work for only just joined in Jan.

We was out seeing clients around south london a few weeks ago and parked up charlton ground as was easier to get train back to the city to get on lash with clients.

He was going on about how he liked Charlton,lol!
  • Options
    "Calum Davenport, an ex-West Ham defender, launched the ferocious attack on his sister Cara after she fell pregnant for a second time by another man, Luton Crown Court heard.

The mother-of-one managed to escape from her brother, a former England under-21 international, and called her boyfriend Worrell Whitehurst.

He tracked 27-year-old Davenport to his mother's house and stabbed him repeatedly in the leg, nearly ending his career.

Davenport, of Greenfields, Bedford, denies one count of actual bodily harm. He claims he was acting in self-defence during the attack at his sister's home in Bedford on August 22 last year.

Whitehurst, 25, of Finsley Walk, Derby, pleaded guilty in November to causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Davenport had become angry his sister was pregnant again, the court heard.

He had supported her financially with the up-bringing of her first son, four-year-old Calum Junior, buying him clothes and taking the family on holiday.

On August 22 last year he and his father Curtis Davenport let themselves into her council house at 2.30am after a night out drinking, and demanded more beer.

The siblings got into a heated argument because she had become pregnant by Whitehurst.

Giving evidence from behind a screen, she said: "Calum said I was a whore. He basically said my appearance had gone downhill. He said, 'Look at the state of you'.

"He said I was a form of cancer. I asked my dad why he let him speak to me like that and he said pretty much, 'You are a whore'.

Davenport and his father went to leave but not before the footballer, who has played for Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland, urinated on his sister's doorstep, Miss Davenport said.

Miss Davenport then went to push her father away from the house, but her brother intervened, bundling her back into the house against the stairs, she told the jury.

Miss Davenport said: "Calum basically told me he was going to batter me. He then head-butted me quite a few times but I managed to put my head at an angle.

Davenport then bit his sister's face, holding a "chunk of her cheek in his teeth", prosecutor Beverly Cripps told the jury.

He also grabbed her by the hair and battered her head against a wall as her son shouted "get off my mummy, get off my mummy", the court heard."

Taken from Sky news app. Seems more than meets the eye to this story!
  • Options
    Class acts all round in the Davenport family. Sounds like an episode of Jeremy Kyle.
  • Options
    Who's the father of four year old Calum jnr? Surely not!
  • Options
    Unfortunate and serious situation all around. Certainly, nothing to make light of. But her son is named "Calum Jr." after her brother??? Or have I misunderstood something?
  • Options
    Good job tavern doesnt work at the same company anymore. Terrible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the story on the beeb website
    Cara's son Calum Junior is mixed race and his father is unfortunately in jail
    but the story Swisdom quoted does make it sound prime Jerry Springer fodder.
  • Options
    Obviously we don't know the truth (and we might never), but if what's been reported so far is true then what kind of bloke calls his pregnant sister a whore, pushes her over, headbutts her repeatedly and then bites her cheek.
  • Options
    as you say we dont know both sides yet,but it would be the same if he had done that to any woman.If true what a scum bag.
  • Options
    But would you have him at Charlton? Assuming he is fit then he is clearly better than League1 standard but is on a freebee with much lower wage expectations than he once would have had - personally I would be tempted to take a punt on him assuming:

1. he is fit
    2. he doesn't end up in jail
  • Options
    Does not sound like a Parky type player and if he is not in jail, will probably get a Champ move ie Coventry. Wages will be too high for us
  • Options
    bunch of slaaaaaaaags
  • Options
    Can he play?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Does not sound like a Parky type player and if he is not in jail, will probably get a Champ move ie Coventry. Wages will be too high for us
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Does not sound like a Parky type player and if he is not in jail, will probably get a Champ move ie Coventry. Wages will be too high for us[/quote][/quote]

Similar argument to the Lee Hughes, gazza, Plymouth keeper - if they are available and we can get them should we?
  • Options
    given the fact that he hasn't played for awhile and the fact that he was stabbed a few times in the leg; which would most likely mean he's not as good as he was, and the fact that he might be going to prison, and the fact it sounds as if he's a bit mentally unstable... i think we should pass.