Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2012 prize money.

Just reading about the prize money available for the Euros. Big bucks! We have won £10m already and if we were to get to the final the total would be £18.6m.

Not sure how I feel about this tbh but apparently the England players are in a £100,000 bonus should they win the thing. Do they really need a financial incentive too?

Comments

• Sorry can't edit for some reason. That should read £18.6m if they win the comp'. Losing finalists get £3.6m winners £6.
  • Traditionally England's players have donated their England wages to charity.
  • In fairness I think they are doing the same here too. Whether they would or should give away £100k if they were to win I dunno. That's nearly a weeks wages to some of them...
  • Yeah I think they do contribute it to charity and have done for years....which without igniting the other debate is a tax planning tool....you get tax relief for donating to recognised charities through gift aid so perhaps not truly altruisitic ;-)

I don't think there is a real financial bonus in £100k to fair....that's probably a couple of days money for the likes of Rooney when you factor in his sponsorship deals etc.

I know we knock modern players (and rightly so sometimes) but I do think that certainly with this team most of them are proud to put on the shirt and know how much it means to the country. Surely they must after the derision they received at the last world cup.

Was an interview last night with Ashley Cole and it came across how much winning it meant....everything.
  • Are players still getting their weekly wages from clubs while this tournament goes on?