Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semedo Beats Solly to PFA Fan's Player of the Year

WSSWSS
edited June 2012 in General Charlton
http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2819252,00.html

Charlton's contribution to the eventual winner Semedo didn't go unnoticed either. The chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association Gordon Taylor OBE praised the Addicks for their role in the Portuguese's impressive run of form.

"Semedo is from a great background coming from Portugal where he gained international experience at U21 level and performed with distinction for Charlton Athletic showing great versatility playing right-back, central defence or central defensive midfield."

Robin van Persie of Arsenal, Jay Rodriguez for his time at Burnley and Lewis Grabban of Rotherham United were also voted PFA Fans' Players' of the Year for their respective divisions.

Comments

• Options
    Wednesday have more fans only reason he won it. Although I didn't even know a vote was going round.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    whoever voted obviously didnt attend the game agaisnt them in Jan.

Solly was on another level to Semedo..who got outclassed and outbattled by our very own Bradley Pritchard. Solly hasnt been outdone all season.
  • Options
    What a joke.
  • Options
    Wait for Operation Pig........
  • Options
    Bit of an unfair reaction. At the end of the day he was their player of the season and they finished second so he must have a case.

Midfielders are always more likely to steal the limelight than right backs. Most opposing fans would only recognize a player like Chris Solly if he was a damaging, pacy type of player who caused them problems.

He isn't that. He is someone who fans of the team he plays for will be looking out for and appreciating.
  • Options
    OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    He's useless, you know.

Didn't both plays miss out on the team of the season?
  • Options
    Seems a bit silly as players from the biggest clubs are always going to get the award or be in contention for it you would think. We all know that we wouldn't swap Solly with Semedo. Mind you, we probably wouldn't swap any of our players for semedo. Not trying to be critical of him, but we have moved on and become a better side without him.

• Options
    perhaps we should have kept him, offered him a decent deal etc? (playing devils advocate here)
  • Options
    I liked him and I am pleased he is doing well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he is very good at what he does but the team needs to fit around him. That could have been a problem for us so losing them was probably best for all parties in the end. I'm much more excited about what Pritchard can offer that I would be about Semedo although I do believe he is a decent Championship, not a league one player.
  • Options
    I'm actually amazed Jordan Rhodes hasn't won this?
  • Options
    I liked him and I am pleased he is doing well
    Agree, was instrumental in a promotion winning side so can't be quite as useless are some tried to make out.

he's gone, the club have moved on, time for some fans to do the same.
  • Options
    Whilst I'd put Solly above Semedo, I do agree that Rhodes should have won the award.
  • Options
    Got to agree that Rhodes was the best individual in the league. Charlton probably would have got promoted without Solly and Wednesday without Jose, Huddersfield simply wouldn't have gone up without Rhodes.

Only other player that had such an individual impact on his teams promotion hopes is sitting behind bars.
  • Options
    Is this the one some of us were spamming ? Theres a thread on voting for solly in one of these
  • Options
    Bit of an unfair reaction. At the end of the day he was their player of the season and they finished second so he must have a case.

Midfielders are always more likely to steal the limelight than right backs. Most opposing fans would only recognize a player like Chris Solly if he was a damaging, pacy type of player who caused them problems.

He isn't that. He is someone who fans of the team he plays for will be looking out for and appreciating.
    lol do you purposely disagree with everything on here?
  • Options
    Well done to Jose, but it's a fairly meaningless award; if Wednesday publicised it heavily, and suggested their fans all voted for Semedo, their fan base would swamp an equally worthy player from a smaller club or players from a club with several worthy candidates. Charlton fans (if they could be bothered) might have voted for Solly, but fans from other clubs might just have easily voted for Jackson or Wiggins.
  • Options
    I feel glad that at least a player with a affiliation to Charlton has won the award, to point out that we did help him get to his career on a right track.
    Shame Solly didn't win but could have attained unwanted attention from a bigger wage budget club. At least us Charlton fans recognised a Charlton trained player that had a confident season
  • Options
    Solly will always be OUR winner in last season's stakes.

As for Semedo ....he must still have "feelings" for Charlton ...still to return the actual POTY Cup he won in season 2010-11 !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All credit to him. I like it when our old boys do well, I think it says something about us that we can nurture great talent.

In reality it's impossible to say for certain who is best because nobody can watch all the games. If it was up to me I'd go for Solly followed by Yann, but that's down to me being partizan and watching lots of Charlton games but only one of Wednesday's.