Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The lure of playing for Charlton Athletic

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
Apologies if a similar thread exists, but the recent interview in the SLP with SCP (under the Powell sets target deadline thread) and the transfer activity of some of the other clubs in our league (mainly the massive) got me thinking......

If I were a footballer, why would I choose charlton over another club in the championship?

The only real lure that I could see we have is playing for SCP and the respect that he commands from seemingly the majority of the football world (in England at least!!)

We won't pay over the odds (from what we've seen) in terms of fees or wages - and rightly so IMO and we don't have the loudest/biggest support (this may have been discussed before ; ) ) we're obviously 'bigger' than a number of clubs in the championship but a lot of our so called 'targets' are reportedly being chased by what I'd probably consider more attractive clubs for a neutral.

I'm not decrying the history of our club, our fans or being unnecessarily negative, it just got me thinking about what our edge would be over our rivals in attracting players?

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited June 2012
    Of course it's the money.

Last year Wiggins, Green, Hollands and probably even Ben Hamer signed for money rather than noisy fans.

We have and offer more than people think in my opinion. Even if it's incentivised heavily with regards to win bonuses etc, a la Curbishley.
  • edited June 2012
    Being a London club is a massive plus especially for foreign players.

Ultimately though I imagine dosh on offer is the prime incentive otherwise Wigan wouldn't be able to sign anyone for example.

• Money, london club, foundations in place to become a premier league club again.... id say the list is longer than the reasons to not join us
  • I'd agree WSS - especially for last season. So in that case, might we struggle this season (if we don't have the financial clout of rivals) or just have to pay over the odds if we do have the money. Neither are particularly desirable options - although I'd take the second over the first!
  • edited June 2012
    I think people would come to Charlton because they've heard about our passionate & 'Massive' away support , and if not that then its the kerchinger rooney , plus the fact we are a club on the way back.
  • Few reasons: we are in London, nice stadium to play in, money, ambitious club, recent history in prem, good manager without an aggressive attitude (in general), 'family club'.... Also, the fact that they know there will be other new faces to be brought in (if they sign now) so they won't feel like the only new one there
  • Added to that, I think the valley next season will be a relaxed place to play in for any new players because the pressure isnt there as much as last season and the three before that
  • Money, club on the rise, location, money, ex-prem club, mate plays there, money, facilities, manager, style of football and lastly money would be the factors IMHO
  • Money, location, facilities, recently in the Premiership, our grounds pretty modern, Powell and Dyer, focus on quite decent football, community stuff gives players added sense of worth
  • Which part of the money bit are you so sure about Henry? :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Added to that, I think the valley next season will be a relaxed place to play in for any new players because the pressure isnt there as much as last season and the three before that
    I think you underestimate the moronic vocal minority should we lose three on the trot.

• I hope all of these things are considered by potential targets. Couldn't quite a few clubs match us for most of these though - except for being in London and SCP?
  • I hope all of these things are considered by potential targets. Couldn't quite a few clubs match us for most of these though - except for being in London and SCP?
    I think in the championship many clubs could offer what we offer but in league 1 not many clubs could.
  • Can't imagine anyone not wanting to play in our new strip :-)
  • Money, history of the club, ground, training ground facilities, 'media spotlight', London, SCP, friends who currently play for Charlton, first team opportunites etc

Compared with the other London clubs in our division, I'd say we have several advantages, based on our admired stay in the PL and SCP, and out better ground, tempered by the fact that we are newly promoted from L1. Compared with the rest of the Championship, I'd say we were upper mid table...

As we don't know what SCP's targets are, it's hard to say whether we've been pipped to them or not.
  • Being in london is a big factor - also the ground is also close to City Airport. The training ground is reputed to be one of the best in the League and players also know that their is some money behind us - unlike a few clubs who are actually in debt & still losing money.

I would think only the relegated Prem teams plus Leeds,Sheff Wed,Cardiff & Leicester would be a better prospect - clubs like Forest, Derby & Brum are saddled with debt and then there are the perenial under achievers like Ipswich & Palace .
    Yes which makes chris Powell our most important asset if we want to sign the best quality players possible.
  • edited June 2012
    Money and ambition, which is communicated and current by the last 12 months experience and since the current owners came in.
  • To take a leaf out of Oohas book.

90% Money
    5%. Location
    5% anything else
  • edited June 2012
    60% Money.
    40% Whether or not the agent has contacts within, and is trusted by, the existing Charlton hierarchy and/or represents other players already at the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• footballers are humans, if you or I were offered double to do the same job some where else, i imagine 90% of the people on here would leave
  • Money followed by location followed by prospects of a sucessful season.
  • Nike kit. Free air conditioning.
  • As if anyone reckons any players coming in give an actual toss about the 'history' of the club
  • As if anyone reckons any players coming in give an actual toss about the 'history' of the club
    No, but they'll be interested in the future direction of the club which is a swift return to the Premiership with the financial backing to make that happen (apparently).
  • We throw in a free air-con unit?
  • If you don't get Charlton ... Powelly will not let you in ... The fact he so brilliantly picked a core of proper Charlton players who we all genuinely like and in many cases rate is testament to fact he genuinely knows us and this club ... Personally I think we are the more attractive than any other club on the planet ... But then I'm biased... ;)
  • Being in London, ambitious, manager/coaching staff set up and with great team spirit would all feature. Money is clearly going to be massive in anyones minds, but I have moved jobs before for less money to work for someone I really respected and also because the team were great to work with. Money is not everything but it is clearly important (and probably more so when you are younger and just setting out in your football career).
  • Money
    London
    Chris Powell
    Good ground/facilities
    Decent support
    Ambition
    In the prem not long ago.
    Club on the up
    Curbs tells how showing the video of where the club had come from helped persuade a certain Swindon Town manager to join us as a player. Di Canio is a law unto him self but history and future direction can influrence,

A coiuple of our current squad, and I cannot remember who, turned down bigger offers to join us.