Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Marks out of 10 so Far ...can we beat Italy??

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
http://blog.oddslife.com/2012/06/england-out-of-10-euro-2012-the-story-so-far/

Personally think we've got stronger with each game , bar a couple of defensive errors against Sweden, whilst Rooney wasn't unbelievable on his return he seemed to give everyone a lift. Just need Ashley Young to sort himself out and Hodgson to drop Milner and we can definitely make the semis.

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to go with Jamie Carragher's expert prediction: England have a 50/50 chance of beating Italy on Sunday.

He really is a genius isn't he ?
  • Options
    Looking at Italy's team and a few of their matches so far, I'm really not scared/put off at any of their players. Ballotelli is apparently their biggest threat. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but our defence have more than enough quality to handle him IMO. Just depends if they turn up and put in a solid shift
  • Options
    I'm going to go with Jamie Carragher's expert prediction: England have a 50/50 chance of beating Italy on Sunday.

He really is a genius isn't he ?
    Not that I think he's a good pundit, but he was comparing that to a 20/80 chance of beating Spain.
  • Options
    There's a chance but it's slim.

Italy are slow burners in tournaments but always seem to come good when they have to. The Germans are similar.
  • Options
    Nailed on for Penalties , need i say more.
  • Options
    i'd give us 7 out of 10 so far.

8 if we beat Italy, 9 if we win the semi and 10 if we win the final.

of course we can beat Italy but i'd say it's 49/51 in their favour.
  • Options
    8 out of 10 so far from me.

Won the group, players have looked up for it, passion and effort in the performances (Young aside), can't ask for more.
  • Options
    I think Italy will fear England more than England fear them.
  • Options

Italy are slow burners in tournaments but always seem to come good when they have to. The Germans are similar.
    3 wins out of 3 in the group stages suggest the Germans aren't really burning slow.

As for England, there is a chance but I think we will fall just short. Pirlo free kick in a 1-0 win I'm going for, hope I'm wrong but think they have a touch more ability than us at the moment.
  • Options
    I thought Rooney was a waste of space on tuesday and it affected our performance in a negative way. Hopefully he can improve because we need everybody firing on all cylinders if we're going to beat Italy. I'd go back to the team we fielded against France to start with personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

3 wins out of 3 in the group stages suggest the Germans aren't really burning slow.

As for England, there is a chance but I think we will fall just short. Pirlo free kick in a 1-0 win I'm going for, hope I'm wrong but think they have a touch more ability than us at the moment.
    Yes the Germans have indeed started well this time. I was talking generally really hence the use of the word tournaments earlier.
  • Options
    But if the ref had spotted a clear foul on Bendtner they would probably be out of the competition.
  • Options
    I think we need all the running power and physicality we can get on the flanks and up front to help relieve the pressure from the defence and midfield. Thats what we did against France and it sort of worked. For me, Rooney just isn't cut out for foraging around for the ball. He's decent when the game is tight and his team are camped in the oppositions half but give him big open spaces and he struggles. I'd then sling Caroll and Walcott on in the later stages to stretch and beat them up a bit.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

I've placed a cheeky bet with PP on England to win on penalties @ 8-1.<
  • Options
    I'm not sure that I prefer Italy to Spain, and as for the extra rest day, it's a rest day lost if you progress further so no advantage there.

I very much liked the look of Italy in the group stages and feel that they are a team on the up, whereas I feel that Spain are a team about to 'lose their mojo.'

It's all to play for and I think we are looking very useful but I'd go for a slim defeat, very likely on penalties. If we do win, then I don't think I can stand Germany in the semis again.
  • Options
    7 out of 10 thus far. I think we have a evens chance of beating Italy. I am sure are just as wary about us as we are of them.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have lovely memories of Mum v Dad cheering on their respective nations so I'm looking forward to this match. Italy haven't been as fluent as I had expected and the Capello/Hodgson experience will certainly have 'Italianised' us to some extent. Italy is apparently still unsettled by the match fixing scandals. Ballotelli, if he starts, might lose his cool when goaded by Milner. All things considered, I put the odds slightly in our favour.
  • Options
    7/10 so far. 4 points more than I thought we would get.
    But we wont beat Italy. I would like to be wrong.
  • Options
    Not an easy answer

Marks out of 10 for

Quality - 5
    Application - 9

Will that be enough to beat Italy ? Perhaps but I doubt it.
  • Options

Nailed on Len, though i'd love to believe otherwise

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think a solid 7 would be fair so far.

Regarding Italy, I think it'll be quite a tight game. They can unlock us from set pieces as said above but then so can we them. Definitely not heavily weighted in either team's favor, and with Gerard and Rooney having a good game we might just scrape it
  • Options
    Performance marks so far 4/10
    Achievment so far 8/10
  • Options
    The fact that I thought we'd struggle to make it out of the group stage means in terms of results England get a 10/10 so far.
  • Options
    7.5 out if 10 so far and of course we can beat Italy . They are nothing special . Gone are the days when Serie A was full of great players and Italy were expected to get to world cup finals . I think we have the edge and expect us to beat them . ( hopefully Terry will wind Balotelli up ) .
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hart 10
    Johnson 7 (for defending, 9 in attack)
    Terry 10
    Cole 9
    Lescott 9
    Parker 10
    Gerrard 10
    Young 7
    Welbeck 8
    Milner 7 (for attacking, 9 for defending)
    Rooney 8
    Carroll 9
    Walcott 10
    OXlade-Chamberlain 8

Uncle Roy and his staff 11/10