Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welbeck - Overrated?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just gunna point out the use of the word 'over-rated' was for the lack of a better one, maybe i should have put 'do you rate him?' instead.

@Vincenzo I thought his game against Ukraine was the poorest of the tournament. His touch is shocking as well, shown by the selection of people agreeing with that above.
  • Options
    One more thing, even though I think his goal against the Swedes was a class finish, I think Carroll's was a better finish...

Welbeck's goal was 80% luck, 20% skill. Carroll's goal was 100% skill. It was the perfect header, and the perfect example of how to get pace and direction on a header.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh dear , here we go again. :-0

• Options
    He's impressed me this tournament and is perfect for the way we've been playing. If anything i'd say i've under rated him previously.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    One more thing, even though I think his goal against the Swedes was a class finish, I think Carroll's was a better finish...

Welbeck's goal was 80% luck, 20% skill. Carroll's goal was 100% skill. It was the perfect header, and the perfect example of how to get pace and direction on a header.
    How do you figure it was 80% luck, just out of interest. It didn't come off his knee.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I agree - he can't control a ball, he can't pass a ball and he can't tackle. As I have mentioned before, what he does offer is plenty of enthutiasm and the occasional touch of class. I think he's the new Heskey.
    So Heskey offered an 'occasional touch of class'?

He's a striker and you're criticising him for not being able to tackle!

We are reaching new heights with criticism of England players this year. Or lows, should I say.
    Yes, Heskey did have some class moments in an England shirt, the 5-1 over Germany for example.

Sorry, but he's not playing non league. He's a Premier League striker earning possibly in excess of 30k a week. He should be able to tackle, it's a basic skill.
  • Options
    I was stunned by this thread. I cannot believe anyone thinks Welbeck is over-rated, especially given that he's not really rated much at all, compared to the likes of Rooney.

I thought he was superb against Ukraine (much, much better than Rooney) and is one of our brightest sparks. His touch is good, his movement off the ball excellent and his goal against Sweden was sublime - one of the best you'll see all tournament.

He looks like the only striker of international quality we have as far as I'm concerned (unless Rooney wakes up) and has the imagination lacking in much of the rest of the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he did go on to become 'world class'.
    Have you had your head in the sand the last two weeks?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Let's see - Rooney and Wellbeck are both overrated, Cole and Terry are a pair of reprehensible scumbags. Who's next? I don't think Hart can cut it at the highest level so we need a new keeper, Parker is too short and Gerrard is a thug. Hodgson doesn't know his ars from his elbow, bring back Capello or Sven.
    This. Absolutely agree with you.
  • Options
    What's the next thread, Joe Hart? Steven Gerrard?

For a kid who is playing in his first major tournament, he's doing AOK is young Danny
  • Options

By saying it was 20% skill you are at least saying he attempted to score from there, he did score so not sure how you can then say it is 80% luck? Very confused
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think hes saying all he had to do was get it on target, which isn't hard from 2 yards out
  • Options
    Come on now, this is charlton life. any criticism is completely unacceptable and rules you out as a football supporter.
  • Options
    Think hes saying all he had to do was get it on target, which isn't hard from 2 yards out
    tbf it was quite difficult in that situation
  • Options
    Personally not a huge fan of Welbeck. I think there's a decent player in there but he looks rather raw still for me.

As he's got Toblerone feet

That goal against Sweden looked like he was trying to control it (though admittedly I was a long way from the screen it was being shown on)
    Ah but for Rooney that is rustiness
    No he actually has toblerone feet..

mspaint...for those who cant edit pictures.
  • Options
    FAIL