Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PSF. CAFC v Sporting Club of Portugal

Comments

• Options
    I'm really up to go to the game, worth the money it for the memory. Charlton need to get a hotel deal for all Charlton supporters to stay at, that would be a way to make a real holiday of it
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday will be in Portugal same time we're in Spain, not too far away if they're based in the south of the country. Wonder if a friendly with them is on the cards ?

http://mobile.swfc.co.uk/runtime/sheffieldwed/article?articleId=2776369
  • Options
    They already have SCP and Reading lined up, plus you don't normally play pre season against a side in the same league mate.
  • Options
    They already have SCP and Reading lined up, plus you don't normally play pre season against a side in the same league mate.
    I thought that, but didn't Cardiff and Bristol city play each other when we were in Spain last year ?

You're right though, a long shot. Plus we know how great is in England, would we really want to take him on on home territory ?

• Options
    anyone got any information on nearest airport flights prices hotels etc
  • Options
    anyone got any information on nearest airport flights prices hotels etc
    Seville, £100 on Ryan Air, would recommend a hostel in Seville as hotels are pricey.

Alternatively you could stay on the Algarve in Portugal which isn't much further away than Seville, prices are likely to be cheaper (inc drink etc which is v expensive in Seville) and there's the added attraction of a Charlton pub in the area !
  • Options
    Come On You Reds! Benfica and Charlton supporters together against Sporting Lisbon \o/
  • Options
    Flight prices have gone up around £50/£60 now. Should've booked last week.
  • Options
    Is there any official word yet on whether the team will be hitching its way down there?

On Twitter one of the lads was saying he would be staying in a camper van that he's hired just outside Seville.
  • Options
    I see the venue has been changed

cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2830605,00.html

Oh, Has TJ thrown his toys out of the pram and said you can't use my pitch?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's possible, because the original venue was of course his Spanish club. So why has the game been moved ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Jimenez
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me to see TJ the next to leave.

*lights fuse and runs*
  • Options
    Taxi for TJ :-)
  • Options
    Free bar?
    Perfect! We need our roof terrace waterproofing. You can fix that for nowt and I will give you free beer for a night... LOL.
    Sorry AA, only just picked up this thread again and seen your comment.

It's such a shame the pub was closed when I came to see you cause I could have fixed the roof while I was there! ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    http://www.huelvainformacion.es/article/deportes/1298053/las/claves/la/operacion/san/roque.html

The gist is that San Roque have potentially avoided an enforced relegation to the 3rd division (from 2B) due to a debt of 150k Euros. Local businesses/the community have put up the funds to keep the club in business and a 51% stake has been transferred to the "Ayuntamiento", ie. local authority, with the option of the English investors recouping the shares prior to 31 August. The mayor explained the ambivalence of the overseas investors towards the debt by saying that it seemed they showed no desire to continue with the running of the club.

Worrying... or just a sign that when they get bored that's that?

Either way the change in venue is NOT a coincidence, but because we would probably get pelted by the locals after our esteemed director has helped to bury their football club.
  • Options
    The game is being shown live on Sport TV, so a decent quality stream should be available, unless you happen to know a Portuguese pub which subscribes?
  • Options
    Cheers ISLS,

So am I right to say Jimenez owned San Roque but now doesn't.

So will the team still use the Lepe facilities or is that a separate entity.

What does this tell us about TJ
  • Options
    Cheers ISLS,

So am I right to say Jimenez owned San Roque but now doesn't.

So will the team still use the Lepe facilities or is that a separate entity.

What does this tell us about TJ
    I wouldn't be surprised to see TJ walk in the near future.
  • Options
    We can hope : - )
  • Options
    Jimenez appears to be involved in a lot of disagreements.

Possible issues with other current investors ?
    Issues with San Roque ?
    Court case with his best buddy Dennis Wise.
    Previous rows at Newcastle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a prat. In my my view-from-afar opinion.
  • Options
    He reminds me of Simon Jordan more and more unfortunately.
  • Options
    Saw a little stat, think in the Guardian, saying that 17 of the 20 companies he has been involved with on a director level have gone into administration.
  • Options
    Saw a little stat, think in the Guardian, saying that 17 of the 20 companies he has been involved with on a director level have gone into administration.
    Administration or been dissolved?

Big, big difference and something our learned friends wouldn't like to see misrepresented. Do you have a source you can check.

Many property companies are vehicle companies ie they are set up for just one development. When the house/estate is completed and sold the company is closed down as it no longer serves any purposes. That is not the same as administration.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Ok, hold my hands up - read it a long time ago and got it wrong:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/05/charlton-athletic-owners

16 out of 17 dissolved companies.
  • Options
    Conspiracy Theorists - Start your engines

: - )
  • Options
    Interesting to see if that means the "English investors" have paid up and everything is rosy in the garden again... I will keep an eye out in the Spanish press

Whatever has happened this indicates that:

(A) There was a problem with TJ (and others) with cash flow; and

(B) That problem for whatever reason has been cured, at least to some extent
  • Options
    I'd think twice about going. You'll turn up & find it's moved again.
  • Options
    Couple of things about San Roque de Lepe:

With that club, ownership and control is pretty clearly pinned on Maryla Shingler (the club's official site emphasizes the support Ms. Shingler's given the club as majority owner).

The communications of the club to its supporters and "the media" are bizarre. From the board's last message on the official site:

"Una vez más, pedimos disculpas por no haber podido estar a disposición de los medios de comunicación, dejando claro eso sí, que durante las últimas semanas se ha venido trabajando de manera intensa, siempre dentro de las posibilidades de este Consejo de Administración, en el intento de solucionar los problemas que acuciaban a la Entidad."

Effectively: "Once again, we're sorry we were not available to communicate with the media, but we've been busting our rears trying to sort things out within the board to deal with this mess."