Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russia

edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
I'm off to St Petersburg on Wednesday then travelling to Moscow. Anyone tips/advice?

Comments

• Take a flight - it's a hell of a long walk ;)
  • Fly....it's long way!
  • Fly....it's long way!
    Beat you to it!
  • Ha ha........well it was f'ing close!!
  • They are both great cities, but I especially love St Petersburg. The Winter Palace is spectacular, but basically it's like there's a palace on every street corner. I went to a 'Russian folk Evening', which I wasn't looking forward to, but it was absolutely brilliant, so look out for that. having said all that I went in the Winter, which was fantastically atmospheric. My Dad went in summer and wasn't so impressed due to the crowds.
    Moscow is not beautiful, but is very impressive, albeit in a bit of a Soviet way, with huge buildings and statues everywhere. The underground stations are amazing. There's a church called The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour which is definitely worth going inside. The Kremlin is impressive and Red Square is also good, especially if you go and have a look at Lenin.
  • edited June 2012
    I did this many moons ago c2000 using homestays moscow a little scarier than sp did all the obvious stuff well worth it
  • DRFDRF
    edited June 2012
    I went in the 90s so probably ignore my comments but I hated the place (visited what is now Belarus and Moscow). People were rude, unfriendly and impossibly arrogant. I met a few since and many have convinced me not to go back.

And whilst I say yes to flying do not go on Areoflot. You will end up sky walking.
  • I flew with them, remember the seats were from the 1950's it seemed, also everyone applauded when we landed safely....